PDA

View Full Version : Animation battles

beagean
12-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Hey,

Is anyone up for an animation play off challenge. We can decide on a topic, animate to it then critique each others work. This would be great if your like me and having troubles not knowing exactly what to animate. Plus a little competition always pushes people that little further. Hear from u soon those who are up for it. :)

Cheers,

Ben Nicoloff

R1c00
12-15-2010, 01:30 AM
I'd be down for something man. I need to beef up my reel in the very near future anyways, might as well set some deadlines. I suggest actually starting in January though, I think these forums slow down during the holidays.

beagean
12-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Oh cool!!! impressive animation work btw, saw your vimeo. Deadlines r a must for sure, I'm rounding up random animators to see who wants to join in. Would you be still keen if we get people and stuff to start this during january? Plus got any ideas for the first animation battle?

grundelboy
12-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Sounds fun! I'm down :thumbsup:

R1c00
12-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks Ben! I wold be down for something in january for sure. I'll start thinking of some ideas. Only suggestion is that we make the animations relatively short. I think one of the reasons the last animation competition didn't get as many people is that it was a 10 second animation. I'm pretty busy w/ work so putting out something short and sweet each month would be ideal.

beagean
12-16-2010, 02:58 AM
Good point Ricardo, We can do without setting any time limits. Thanks for joining Grundel! How about we start this on the 3rd of January? That way we can get over any hangovers that could occur from new years.

I had an idea for the first topic. How about "awkward". post up any ideas you both have as well aye.

Cheers,

Ben

badgerfodder
12-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi,

I'd be interested in this - I tend to find it hard to get enough crits on my work so count me in. Also I agree on the 10 second thing, i vote for short and sweet.

My suggestion for first topic: "Revenge".

beagean
12-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Cool :), welcome!!! Everyone add your ideas aye. On the 3rd of January we start. Hope no one loses interest before then.

Cheers,

Ben

beagean
01-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Hey Everyone!

We still up for this challenge? Over here in australia it's the 2nd of January, but I'm not too sure about the date where u all are coz it always seems to be different. Let's make the topic "awkward" or "revenge" unless some one has a better idea. And make the deadline the 30th of january.

Cheers,

Ben

p.s, there r no time limits or anything.

badgerfodder
01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes, it's the 3rd here in the UK (back to work tomorrow) :sad:

I'm still up for this - I think we should decide on a final subject, so we are all on the same page. I've no problems with doing awkward.

R1c00
01-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Awkward sounds good. I say 5 - 10 sec.

beagean
01-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Cool, yeah we'll do "awkward" 5-10 seconds, entries end 30th january.

Cheers,

Ben

kronkhal
01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I'd like to take part of this... Where should I post my entry?

Cheers!

Ricardo.

R1c00
01-05-2011, 08:00 PM
We can probably just post our WIPs and finals on this thread. Glad to have you on board

Dio028
01-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey everyone, i'm new around here but i'm in!

beagean
01-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Cool :), great 2 have u with us.

thatonejondude
01-23-2011, 06:59 AM
I know it's already Jan. 23rd. here in New Mexico... but 7 days is plenty of time to get a nice fresh "akward" animation out of me! I haven't done any animation in about 6 months, plus I really need to start building my reel. Count me in!! :D

beagean
01-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Woo!

Welcome aboard! Yeah short n sweet is pretty easy. Haha, we have people from everywhere in this comp.

Cheers,

Ben

beagean
01-23-2011, 07:31 AM
[QUOTE=beagean]Woo!

Welcome aboard! Yeah short n sweet is pretty easy. Haha, we have people from everywhere in the world in this comp.

Cheers,

Ben

PLWoods
01-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi all i'll join in this challenge too :D

beagean
01-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Welcome 2 animation battles PLWoods :)

Dio028
01-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Alrighty, gents. Here's my contribution to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kggy-m4cKow

I'm looking forward to seeing some great animation totally trumping my own! :)

beagean
01-31-2011, 03:13 AM
Nice work man! Love the bit at the end trying to look all casual and stuff haha. Everybody will be showing there's soon I think, gotta get mine online yet. :)

Cheers,
Ben

beagean
01-31-2011, 04:05 AM
Here's my entry :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPOyEznpgPE

Feel free to give feedback too.

After we have all looked at each other's animation we have to decide on the next topic and winner as well.

Cheers,

Ben

R1c00
01-31-2011, 04:11 AM
Here is mine, kinda went over the 10s. It is a cautionary tale of sorts ;)

file:///C:/Users/Ricardo/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://vimeo.com/19371091

Cheers
Rico

R1c00
01-31-2011, 04:13 AM
Hmm that link came out all weird, check this one

http://vimeo.com/19371091

badgerfodder
01-31-2011, 08:39 PM
http://vimeo.com/19396763

Hi guys, here's mine. Unfortunately I only managed to make it to the end of the blocking stage on this one, which shame as I'm quite pleased with how it's going. I'll definately finish it - just had a bit of a busy month.

I'll post again tomorrow with some proper feedback for everyone - it'd be nice if everyone could comment on everyone elses work to make sure we all get some proper constructive criticism. They're all looking pretty good so far though from what i've seen.

badgerfodder
02-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi,

As promised - a few more specifics:

Dio:
Positives:
The poses on the man are pretty good all the way through
The timing is very good all the way through

Couple of things that could be improved:
at 0:08 - dont think the man would turn around that way - seems like the weight would be on the other side.
at 0:05 - dont think the woman would put something in her back pocket - looks like she is wearing cycling shorts!

Ben:
Positives:
I like the hand moves on the woman at the start.
The lip sync is pretty good.

Things that could be improved:
Hands and head are a bit floaty - more slow in/out would be better
To me it looks like the womans head is too far down - seems a bit unrealistic

Rico:
Positives:
Really interesting style - like the characters.

Things that could be improved:
I would like to see a bit more movement in the hips during the dance.

Good work overall everyone - looking forward to doing another next month.

Dio028
02-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Cool, thanks for the feedback!

I was worried someone would point out "Hey, how come the guy didn't see she left as he turned?"
To which i say "uhm... cuz..."
:p

I really liked all the entries, too. Good stuff!

I'm down for doing another if you guys are.

thatonejondude
02-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Yeah, as much as I really wanted to do this with you guys, life got a little crazy on me! Haha. I'm lovin the animations though! Here are my thoughts:

Dio028 - Dude, I'm diggin the ending! Lol the crazy knee bounce is nice! On a constructive crit note, I think there could have been a bit more easing out on a few of those keyframes. Other than that I thought it was pretty well mapped.

beagean - Nice hand gestures! On a constructive crit note, the eyes in the animation are tweened, when if you notice in real life, eye movements are very 'quick', unless they are following something like a track-to constraint. Speed up the eye movements a bit so they're not so "tweeny" and I think it will make a huge difference! :D

R1c00 - Haha this one made me smile! Lol. I'm down with that 70's disco thing you had goin there! Lol. :D

badgerfodder - Nice blocking man! You know if it's a good block job if your animation can live without the tweens. This animation definitely lives. I wasn't exactly sure what was going on though, however I tend to be quite slow sometimes so bare with me! Lol.

I really hope we can do this again! Lot's of inspiration has been obtained as a result of watching everyone's super cool animation. Hopefully, I can participate in the next one. :D

beagean
02-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks 4 the feedback everyone! this is the stuff I didn't notice that will really make my work better :D.

Rico: That's something I've never seen before, u had me watching it many times, just lost in it lol.

Dio: The acting of your characters are great! totally feel like I can relate with them, well done, I'm probs wrong, but I think there might need 2 b a little more follow through on him as he gets up off the bench.

Badger: That's some impressive blocking right there, I could hear the characters through their body language, but I don't understand why he didn't want the present. I think the character holding out the present at :03 was off balance.

Great work everyone!!!

That was really fun :)! I hope ur all keen for another animation theme.

Some ideas I had for this month are: Epic Fail, Anger and Turning the Tides.

Add some of ur own ideas for next months theme.

Cheers for the Feedback :)

Ben

thatonejondude
02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Dude I am so down with 'epic fail'! Lol It's probably my all time favorite concept in general! We should wrap this thread up, maybe vote on a winner? ...and then start another thread.

badgerfodder
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks - always good to get different perspectives on it. I'll repost on here when I actually get this piece finished. My vote goes to Ben for winner - nice one for attempting dialogue.

Perfectly happy with Epic Fail for this month - could have a lot of fun with that one :)

R1c00
02-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words/feedback everybody. Epic fail sounds good, I might not be able to participate because of another project I'm working on but if I finish before the end of the month I'll try to whip something up for the competition.

Cheers
Rico

beagean
02-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Haha, yeah I love epic fail too :D

Thanks 4 the vote Badger fodder :D

Should we get some one not in the comp to vote do u all think?

"Epic fail" looks like it's the one XD

Good luck with the project Rico.

Same as last time with the deadlines, at the end of the month seems to be pretty good.

Cheers, :)

Ben

Dio028
02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't think i'll be able to join in on this one. Working on something else at the moment.
Good luck to all though!

I wana see some lol-inducing anims! :p

BigVfromNC
02-20-2011, 08:36 PM
darn im like two years late, i hope there are more challenges

badgerfodder
03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

Here's mine for this month. Again, didn't get it completely finished, but nearly there. Just needs more polishing.

http://vimeo.com/20534845

Also, here's a video I used as reference if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYPZi0NqCA&feature=related

Had good fun researching this one!

Dio028
03-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I like it!

I would have personally put more roll or bounce at the end, but like you said, it's not completely done.

Good stuff.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of you guys' stuff and hopefully starting another one soon.

badgerfodder
03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the comments. I've re-upped a new version where I spent a bit more time on the landing.

http://vimeo.com/20534845

Let me know what you think.

Also, I got around to finishing the awkward scene from the previous month if anyone is interested.

http://vimeo.com/19396763

I'll be up for doing another on this month - not sure what's happened to everyone else though!

Dio028
03-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Awesome! I really like how the "awkward" one came out. I like how cartoony it is.

Also liking the ending of the other one much more now.

What rig is that on the epic fail clip?
Does it have facial controls and are they good?

badgerfodder
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Cheers Dio.

The rig is "Big Fat Strong" - you can get it here http://www.creativecrash.com/3dsmax/downloads/character-rigs/c/big-fat-strong

It's pretty good - does have facial controls, but they seem to be a bit limited. I'm doing an acting piece with the rig at the moment, will let you know how I get on.

The only thing I wasn't sure about by the end was what to do with the camera for this - I dont know if it shows the animation off at it's best. Maybe should have done a side profile, or multiple views - any thoughts?

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.