PDA

View Full Version : Painter brushes

phamtastic
10-13-2003, 07:08 AM
Man, trying to go from photoshop to painter is a complete pain. Is there a way to display the brush cursor as the actual brush size rather than that damn triangle?

Jarah
10-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey man

well i'm afraid not ..... belive me i was new to painter 3 weeks back .... i'm a photoshop user since 5 years & i still belive Photoshop is the best ... but really you will suffer in Painter

anyway you will get used to the triangel .... just practice more

:rolleyes:

Lunatique
10-13-2003, 06:16 PM
There is a check box for "ghosting when possible" or something like that in Edit->Preferences.

Jinbrown
10-13-2003, 11:23 PM
Rob's right. In Edit > Preferences > General, check the Enable Brush Ghosting box.

It'll display the brush dab shape before you begin the brushstroke, then it's replaced by the brush cursor which you can also set to various angles in Edit > Preferences > General.

You'll get used to not having the Brush Ghost displayed while the brushstroke is being painted and soon learn to see how the brush cursor relates to the actual brushstroke.

Do some testing with several brush variants to get used to working with the brush cursor. It's not so bad, really, if you don't fight it.

Good luck,

phamtastic
10-14-2003, 02:06 AM
Thanks guys, I guess I'm just going to have to learn this slowly but surely. The brushes are great in painter so It'll be worth all the effort.

BartW
10-28-2003, 01:11 PM
FYI, Painter is in no way meant to be a replacement for Photoshop....you really should see it as a digital way of using traditional art.

If you've ever had any instructions in art and art materials, you will have a bad time for sure. So you should forget all about Photoshop when you're working with Painter, and see it as a real piece of paper or a brand new canvas.

Instead of reading useless Painter related tutorials, you should have a look for traditional art 'tutorials'......really :)

Have fun ! :thumbsup:

Jinbrown
10-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Ahem! ;)

Useless Painter tutorials?

I guess there could be some, but not many.

A really good Painter tutorial tells you how to use Painter to do whatever it is it's covering.

If it doesn't include appropriate terminology, it's not as good as it could be.

If it skips steps, assuming the reader will figure things out, it's not as good as it could be.

Understanding traditional art media is a completely different subject. It's not about Painter at all.

Finding good instruction material for both traditional art media and techniques, digital art drawing and painting tools and techniques plus how to use the software itself, and combining both is a really good thing.

If your goal is to use Painter to simulate traditional art, you won't be able to do that just by learning about traditional art.

Likewise, if you only know how to make Painter work but know nothing about traditional art, it's not likely you'll do well simulating traditional art.

It's just like what someone said in another thread about Photoshop and Painter, paraphrased:

Painter is not a replacement for Photoshop.

I'll add that Photoshop is not a replacement for Painter.

So...

Understanding traditonal art is not a replacement for understanding Painter.

Understanding Painter is not a replacement for understanding traditional art.

Open your mind, learn, learn as much as you can, keep learning, and don't pay attention to anyone who tries to narrow down your learning field to only one side of things.

Use everything to find out what works best for you and when to use more than one approach/software/school of thought/source of information.

Okey dokey. They just pulled my soap box out from under me. ;)

Bye for now!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.