PDA

View Full Version : FXWARS! Tribute: "Forbidden Planet"

mustan9
12-14-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm going to be recreating the part of the scene where the invisible monster attacks the security fence around the flying saucer. It's my all time favorite monster scene, and scared the piss out of me when I was a kid.

Forbidden Planet Monster Attack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIdF_VXTCwc)

"Doc, an invisible being that can not be disintegrated by atomic fission?"
"Ah skip it. That is a scientific impossibility."
"Hypnotic illusions don't tear people apart!"
"It's true enough, but any organism dense enough to survive three billion electron volts would have to be made of solid nuclear material. It would sink of it's own weight to the center of this planet."
"You saw it yourself standing right there in those neutron beams!"
"There's your answer, it must have been renewing it's molecular structure from one microsecond to the next."

Oh man, they don't write scripts like that anymore. So I'm going to fire up my atomic powered Houdini, render a billion electron particles and use a nuclear material to shade it all. I just hope the molecular structure isn't to complex to model in 3D!

Daniel-B
12-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Wow, that looks ambitious. Good luck! I look forward to seeing it.

mustan9
12-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Time to get started I guess. Going to spend about an hour today working on this. Not sure where to start.

mustan9
01-11-2011, 04:06 PM
I've got no time :(. Been busy since the start of the year, and looks like I'll be even more busy going forward.

Hopefully, I can find some time to do at least some vfx tests to see how I would of done the effects.

mustan9
01-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Is it just me or does this challenge appear dead?

I think I'll able to post some animation of electrical effects this week.

RobertoOrtiz
02-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I am wondering about that myself..
-R

mustan9
02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
It seems to me that some of the threads are missing. Like what happen to the Back to the Future thread?

RobertoOrtiz
02-01-2011, 05:11 PM
The voting thread goes live in two weeks!
Good luck!
-R

RobertoOrtiz
02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
The dateline is on the 15th...Who needs one more week? (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=956180)

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.