PDA

View Full Version : Jean, Opeth (2D)

Opeth
10-13-2003, 03:14 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3957/Jean_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3957/Jean.jpg)

hi
this is a figure i just finnished & seemed right to name Jean.
anyway, i'll probably do a bg too, but it will take a while.
C&C please, i'm still open to any changes suggested.

DangerousLlama
10-13-2003, 06:37 AM
looks good!

my only crit is that his left hand is a little too big, when i look at him my eyes are drawn to his left hand

hehe

other than that, good job :)

Astaroth.NL
10-13-2003, 12:55 PM
this is too good, why you have only one reply is beyong my grasp. It's not only beautifull but he has a really catchy expression, great job, real good job on the textures as well! :buttrock: Hand crit is just, but it's jsut a fraction to big, not enough to bother me

Kid-Mesh
10-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Wow, this is just a great picture...you have to do a background for this. This pain in his eyes are incredible...it is as if he has killed so many people but deep down it side he is a good guy but has to live with the pain.

Very cool

dflipb
10-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Great work!!

I feel that under the stubble areas, there is a white coloring that almost makes him look 50 yrs old. Bring in more of the cheek color to some of those areas.

He looks like a tough guy, You may want to rough his nose up a little (like he's been in other fights besides the one that gave him the eye scar). maybe a slight off centerness to it, or a little more ageing. (like the subtle wrinkles on his forehead)
IMHO

Keep up the good work.

starqueen
10-13-2003, 02:27 PM
wonderful texturing!

I agree that the proportions are off, but artistically speaking I think it only helps the work. Somehow it emphasizes the mood well... My only real crit would be the hair and stubble, they don't look quite real. Maybe you could add thickness to the roots?

I love the emotion you showed. What will the background be yet, do you know? :D

mccordia
10-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Reminds me of Elvis....verry cool!!!

EricUNSL
10-13-2003, 03:07 PM
Nice Piece so far.. The expression, the detail and texturing are all good.

If you are open to suggestions, You need to define the shape of the guys nose a bit more through shadow and highlights. It looks too flat with two dots in the middle of his face. maybe a darker shadow on the underside of the nose?

His hands are out of proportion with his body and seems odd considering the time put into the face.

For a front view he's missing a little bit of jaw on his right side. Other than that, keep going. If I say more it will just be nitpicking on painting and drawing so I'll stop here and wait to see it completed.

Have fun!

SPruss
10-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Nice! but the whole piece seems a bit to blurry! it would be nice if it was sharpened up a bit..

Hostil Elektrod
10-13-2003, 03:33 PM
imho, the nose holes are too opened, and the left hand is too big, also the elbow is very narrow and sharpened.

Nice work anyway! :beer:

mihkeltt
10-13-2003, 03:34 PM
i like the way the image blends in with the cgtalk backgroung color, was it ment like that?

Opeth
10-13-2003, 03:48 PM
alright everyone, thanks for all the comments! :)
i agree with most of them, except the large hands, which are on perpose, large hands make a figure look more intimidating if u ask me...
Oh, mihkeltt - its on perpose.. thought it would be nice ;)
all comments have been noted though & a little later on today i'll work on all the things u all said..
about bg, this is the plan:

http://www.davids-gallery.com/Jean5.jpg

i'll probably make a brazil rendered lowres version of the bg for light & perspective guide, then draw over it.

Again, thanks for all the comments & crits!

arch-man
10-13-2003, 03:55 PM
COOL WORK,MAN!
WHERE did u learn digital painting?
hehe

Regards
a.a.a.

cgjie
10-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Nice work!

urgaffel
10-13-2003, 04:05 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Preacher yet :) It's not really the same style, but for some reason that comic popped into my head.

It's a good image, but it feels like you've used different styles in the same character. For example, the head looks a little soft, almost airbrushed. The necklace and the sweater is a little more detailed, and the hands are somewhere in between. If possible, I think you should work on the face some more, to get it a little more defined. Just my taste of course, I still like the image as is.

Philipstraub
10-13-2003, 04:13 PM
are you an Opeth fan???

shaitan_ghola
10-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Don't change the left hand buddy. It actually helps the picture out to me. Its as if you the looking at Jean wondering what the hell he's gonna pull outta that jacket of his. So naturally you'd look down at his hand. Good job dude!:buttrock:

Opeth
10-13-2003, 04:31 PM
thanks again everyone!
i'm posting a few msg (trying to sell my guitar & amp) & i'll get to work on fixing some of the things u've commented one..
Philip - yes, i'm a opeth fan, but not a fan of the music style.. i just enjoy well written music with good harmonics :)

Philipstraub
10-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Opeth...yeh....the death metal style can be a bit overwhelming. I really don't like any other band in the vain..but opeth really brings a great deal of influences to their music. I love all thier harmonies and clasical influences. I recently saw them in NY, they were doing all of thier new "mellow" stuff off of damnation. They were really incredible live...if you haven't seen them definetly check them out

DKnight
10-13-2003, 05:04 PM
nice work , but i don`t like the scene - a guy looking cool in front of a burning car - no matter if israelian or palestinian - seems simply wrong to me

btw.: wash your mouth dudes saying opeth and death metal in one sentence is bad blasphemie - for death metal :wip:

like chucky the Murderdoll and wonderland Barby ;)

dflipb
10-13-2003, 05:11 PM
it's incredible, just by adding the background(undetailed) some how helps to create the focus on the hands!!! Maybe it's the smoke and light angling down creating and implied line! Briliant!!!!
:buttrock: rock on!

Opeth
10-13-2003, 05:16 PM
Ok, dknight, i dunno where u came from but i think ur mom's calling u back for lunch.. off u go..

what the hell? israely or palestinian? how the hell does that have anything to do with a NY street & a 60'/50' automobile burning in the bg???
anyway, going through the posts now & working on stuff u advised me to change ppl.

digitalshaman
10-13-2003, 05:20 PM
great guy, lots of character, reminds me of max payne or godfather kinda movies.

noir!

look forward to see the finito

Opeth
10-13-2003, 05:31 PM
hmm
i here's the version after fixing what most of you asked me too.
face has more detail, so do the hands.
the nose is more obvious & distinct, the skin beneath the stuble has gotten a more saturated color, the stuble has been changed, the nose broken...

should i leave the band on the nose?
and the stitches above the brow?

http://www.davids-gallery.com/Jean6.jpg

Opeth
10-13-2003, 05:32 PM
hmm... should i make his sweater white?

shaitan_ghola
10-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Nah. I don't think you should. I mean if he's real enough to you, then maybe Jean likes that color for a sweater, even if you don't like it. And if you want other people to see the sweater better, Jean doesn't look like the kinda that would care(Clint Eastwood anyone?), but I don't know, its your art.

ninjacore
10-13-2003, 08:33 PM
cool pic. i like the oversized hands. its a nice style. i think youve improved it since the first post, and i'm intrested to see where u go with this.

i like how u have music influenced artwork on your site. if u wanna here a cool band to get influenced by, checkout Dragonforce (http://www.dragonforce.com)

Wonderer
10-13-2003, 08:41 PM
Good work!:beer: He looks like a very troubled hitmam!:thumbsup:

Philipstraub
10-13-2003, 08:55 PM
good job opeth

Incitatus
10-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by mccordia
Reminds me of Elvis....verry cool!!!

I thought the same thing :) he definately bears a resemblance to Elvis.

nice work. :thumbsup:

Jezait
10-13-2003, 09:37 PM
I reckon he looks like a gangsta from a mafia or somthing, who's gonna make me "an offer you can't refuse".

Very good :thumbsup:

Spiritron
10-13-2003, 09:44 PM
Very nice work!

The proportions of the hands are fine. I did that pose in the mirror and the left hand should appear slightly larger, as it is closer to the eye, creating a sense of depth. I think you already know this, since you kept the hands the same. Great!

SEE THE WORLD THROUGH YOUR OWN EYES. MANY WILL TELL YOU WHAT IT IS YOU SEE, BUT NONE CAN SHOW YOU WHAT YOU HEAR. UNLESS YOU WEAR GLASSES ON YOUR EARS AND HEADPHONES ON YOUR EYES.

Nazeil
10-13-2003, 10:12 PM
beautiful image! the only thing that really bothers me is the knuckle on his left thumb. It looks to me like it is shifted to far to the side, that or his thumb was rotated at an impossible angle.

keep up the good work!

Opeth
10-13-2003, 10:27 PM
thanks for the comments everyone..

i wonder - what do you think he's doing with his hands? :rolleyes:

aenema
10-13-2003, 11:22 PM
great job :thumbsup: looks like he is rubbing his knuckles together, because he is bored? ;)

For some reason he reminds me of Jude Law

SKippyMcHaggis
10-13-2003, 11:24 PM
it looks like he's grabbing the front of his jacket lapels...

but you might show some deforming of the fabric of the coat to make that a bit more clear.

i really like the updated version.

the bandage on the nose could possibly be a bit larger, if it is supposed to be a "butterfly bandage"...i thought they were a bit larger. too large, thought, and it will look like one of those things atheletes wear on their noses to breathe...

i'd leave the sweater blue as well...i'm not sure Jean would wear a white turtleneck...i'm not sure i ever would as well...

Skip

Black Jesus
10-13-2003, 11:45 PM
that latest image is almost perfect to me... i love the band on his nose and i think you should definately keep it there and the stitches above his eye... i think the underside of the nose could still be a little darker though to make it stand out a little more... and there's something about the nostrils that is bothering me... it think somebody else already said that they look too open... i agree with that and maybe instead of just black holes add a little bit of color inside them... like if you look in the mirror you don't just see to black holes where your nostrils are... you can see inside them a little.

Xaint
10-14-2003, 12:43 AM
He looks like you!:)

I think the broken nose would be better if bent to the opposite direction. I cannot explain it in english, but the head bends left, I feel the nose should bend right to gain balance. What do you think?
The hands have problems too. The wrist is thin. It's cool to stylize, and have big hands, but so the wrist should be thicker, just a lil' bit imho. There's also some anatomical flaws on the hands. I suggest to draw many hand studies or to model one. My bro carved one from gypsum, and he improved a lot with hands.

Btw, looks cool!:cool: Wish you good things!

hey G
10-14-2003, 01:10 AM
really nice.
he's flipping through his $100 bills.

DKnight
10-14-2003, 01:50 AM
what the hell? israely or palestinian? how the hell does that have anything to do with a NY street & a 60'/50' automobile burning in the bg???

maybe because you never said something about NY ?
maybe because you never mentioned the Time ?
maybe because the cloth are more like nowadays "Boondock Saints " than 50/60`s style ?
maybe because people look at the origin of the Artist when the theme is not clear - trying to understand what is shown ?

maybe because i thought you wanted to hear what comes to mind when seeing this picture ( without beeing told about time ,... ) ?

there was no reason to be pi**ed ,... -at least for grown ups

Rubberduckie
10-14-2003, 03:37 AM
Great....i still like the original one...but the added details are a plus...dude, cant wait ta see him in a background. NYC in the early 50-60s huh? Mafia don! No tommygun?:D

EricUNSL
10-14-2003, 03:39 AM
DKnight does have a point, understandable considering location but let's keep it nice shall we.

good so far. His thumb on his left hand bothers me. Look in a mirror. Do the knuckles on your thumb look like that when posed in the same position?

You'll have to go back into the figure painting after you start your BG. There will be some subtle warm rim lighting on his right side from the fire.

His hands and face stand out fine. If you make the sweater white or brighter it will take away from the focus on the figure.

Looking forward to seeing how you handle the textural differences of the background compared to the figure.

Keep going!

anoe_nomus
10-14-2003, 03:52 AM
hi, great work man, i'm not much of an artist, i more of a technician.. but anyhow, i think the background you chose took away from the mood of the model, the subject seems more menacing and devious if u will, but great wok
BTW, is it ok (with u ) if i create a 3d model based on this character? and use similar facial features (i love that scar on his eye) like hair or skin tone etc... if that's cool with u Opeth...
keep up the great work.!!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :thumbsup: :eek:

MikeRhone
10-14-2003, 07:32 AM
Very impressive work.

I think hes in desperate need of an environment though. Im not too sure I like where you're going with the street scene idea though. Im not sure why, but a street BG seems like an afterthought. I think something less "generic" like a barbershop or a deli could be cool. Maybe even a drastic industrial environment like a pier or shipping yard. Im probably envisioning that because of his turtleneck though.

All in all its shaping up to be a good final piece. Don't hurt the community by leaving it unfinished!

Mike R

phoenix
10-14-2003, 08:03 AM
man very work....i love the skin u painted ..but dont know3 have a little disconfort with eyes u painted...but overall nice work....

wethepe0ple
10-14-2003, 08:44 AM
thsi guy looks like the sniper from svainf private ryan =)

great work looks pretty good

Opeth
10-14-2003, 09:36 AM
thanks everyone..
in general - i've grown a little weary of this drawing so ... i'll take the artists way out, and make the bg blurry eheh
of course, i'll need to change a little the lighting on my dude.
anyway, it will probably take time. i'm working on some concept characters for a project right now.

lets go through the posts:
SKippyMcHaggis - the cloth is deformed a little.. i recon i should have made it more obvious though.. never mind though. & about the bandage, i tried enlarging it & it takes too much attention...
Black Jesus - i don't quite get it.. i try making the nostrils a little "sub surface scattered" and it looks like they become just a bump in the nose... i might need to work on it..
dknight - ok dude, i'm really sorry, ur right. its just that i get a little pissed when ppl immediatly relate my location to anything i do. which is reliculous... but you're completely right & i'm sorry for being an ass..:beer: cheers.
rubberduckie - no tommy gun.. not in this one :)
Eric UNSL - yes, ur right.. i need to work on hands. i haven't done any drawing (pencil) for so long.. i should probably start again.
too late for this though..
anoe_nomus - knock yourself out man, i'd be really glad if u made a model based on this drawing. please get my e-mail down & lemme know when there's progress with that!
Rhonedog - thanks dude, but i think my minds rather made up about the bg. & it IS an afterthought im afraid.
pheonix - thanks dude... ur the first to tell me there's a problem with the eyes, can u please be more detailed?
wethepe0ple - 4got what he looks like :)

Opeth
10-14-2003, 09:46 AM
hey.. here's a better concept of what i want the image to look like.
the bg is mostly 3D here...

before i go on with it & start doing the painting over it.. i'd like to know what you all think..

http://www.davids-gallery.com/Jean7.jpg

lo_volt
10-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Top work, great style, looks almost like an illustration, but thats a compliment of course. I'd love to see how this would feel animated, any chance?

http://mysite.freeserve.com/lo_volt

Opeth
10-14-2003, 11:37 AM
dude.. this ain't 3d.... :)
the BG is.... bg = background

but if the figure looks 3D i'll be really happy! :)

wethepe0ple
10-14-2003, 02:15 PM
his hands look so real! that's amazing!

OrcOYoyo
10-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Very nice Picture.:thumbsup:
Something to mention but thats just my opinion.

His right ear is much lower than his left one....
and i think his neck is a little to long.

But the textures especially the cloth and the skin are great! :buttrock:

lo_volt
10-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Heh, just woke up!

SKippyMcHaggis
10-14-2003, 07:12 PM
it flows much better with the alley on the other side, than what you first showed us.

as far as the lapels, i totally understand it get's harder to change things once you reach a certain point. i dont think it's a huge deal anyways. maybe a way to help would be to show some stretching of the fabric at the shoulders? i kind of imagine that he would be pulling down on his lapels as he gripped them.

anyways, great job, and i look forward to a finished product, if you can take it anymore :p

Skip

Helod
10-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Wow... Your work is amazing...
Have you seen movie "Boondock Saints"??

Opeth
10-21-2003, 05:57 PM
thanks guys, and no Helod, i haven't... whats it about?

leigh
11-07-2003, 01:00 AM
You've been awarded the CG Talk Choice Award, and your image has been added to the CG Networks/CG Talk Gallery (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery/).

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

If you'd like the PSD file of this award (for your own website or wherever), please email me and I'll send it to you.

Great work!

dreamz
11-09-2003, 07:27 PM
your brushwork is fabulous
and the mood so very yummy :drool:
congrats on the award u totally deserve it ;0]

Opeth
11-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the award & thanks for the support & crits!
much appreaciated!

DoLeeP
11-11-2003, 12:57 AM
great work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yboris
11-12-2003, 09:16 PM
I love it ... the hands, the texture of the sweater ... of the coat ...

but sorry to say - seems like there is a lack of texture on the face ...

the white highlights are slightly "overexposed" ... I think you should soften them down ...

the mustache is great, but needs a touch up ... make the hairs thinner maybe and a bit more?

FANTASTIC work ... I LOVE THE HANDS :applause:

eburdeinick
11-14-2003, 04:38 AM
what can i say... I like the look of it, it is a nice piece of work...

VerticalVertex
11-16-2003, 10:10 AM
Cant get any better.

Thehustle
11-17-2003, 10:52 PM
is says so much and it tells a story even thoug its just an illustration .....Story> : guy jus got beat up and needs a light to smoke a cigarette to calm his nerves" i like

cuse
11-18-2003, 10:33 AM
Lookin cool,

I would desaturate him a little more, make the skin look cold and maybe therefore him?!

I prefer the character on his own without a background cause i dont think there's enough work in the scene, but it does look very good!

Hope to see some form of update soon?

cuse

ShakingColor
12-06-2003, 01:39 AM
what's wrong with the necklace? it seems no weight...:p

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 01:03 PM
:scream: cracky head!! its awesome its have da tough look!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.