PDA

View Full Version : Mama, Antropus (3D)

Antropus
10-13-2003, 03:14 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/22416/mama_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/22416/mama.jpg)

I'm alive!!!! ... but not sure about the old lady below :hmm:

Here's the grandma finished. I made only a simple bind skin with a temporary rig, just for posing and to test the mood of the scene.

Some details:
- the entire scene are rendered in Maya (default render) using my own dome light;
- all hair are polygons;
- Old Lady, armchair and background are rendered in layers for easy adjustments like color, brightness and blur (to simulating DOF a bit);
- all textures and patterns are hand painted and the concepts are mine;
- all textures are converted to BOT format ( some textures have 5000x3000 px... her face have 3000x1500 resolution).

I hope you enjoy and gimme some feedback. Thanks

<edited by Tito: Image replaced with one hosted on CGNetworks gallery to prevent dead links.>
ps.: I'm looking for a server to host this image because I already exceeded the limits of mine... can you help me? Thanks again :)

gmask
10-13-2003, 03:19 AM
Woah.. she is baggy.. nice work .. I think this is what the female gollum would kind of look like .. just kidding.. the environment is great tooa lthough her clothes and the chair maybe are too saturated and pop too much from the background?

Akildee
10-13-2003, 03:21 AM
This image is very nice. I love the colors and the value. My only crit would the breasts they seem a little to pancake like! But really nice job. By the way, what's BOT?

Antropus
10-13-2003, 03:23 AM
gmask,

ahueueheuheuueuheuhe... female gollum...heheheheh... I like it!

her clothes and the chair maybe are too saturated and pop too much from the background

Intentional my friend :thumbsup:

Thanks

Antropus
10-13-2003, 03:28 AM
Some good explanations about BOT textures here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82466&highlight=BOT

And of course, her breasts ARE two pancakes ;)

gmask
10-13-2003, 03:29 AM
>>>And of course, her breasts ARE two pancakes ;)

I imagine that she will fly with them?

Man
10-13-2003, 04:56 AM
nothing to crit man- great as always!

more..more..:drool:

Antropus
10-13-2003, 05:37 AM
gmask,

YEAH! Good idea! Like Dumbo, but with flying breasts! hehehehe

Knox,

Thanks a lot man, as always :thumbsup:

slaughters
10-13-2003, 05:57 AM
It's not the breasts which look wrong. It's the shirt. It should be baggy and loose with wrinkles. The way it is modeled now the shirt would have had to two socks sewn over the chest of a tight fitting garment.

(My imagination shudders at the concept that somewhere there may actually be the older persons equivalent of "Baby Gap" stores. Where socks-for-breasts-shirts are actually sold for the old people "in-crowd")

Antropus
10-13-2003, 06:10 AM
slaughters,

I agree with you but... come on... look at her legs and arms. She's not soooo realistic :rolleyes:

slaughters
10-13-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Antropus
slaughters,

I agree with you but... come on... look at her legs and arms. She's not soooo realistic :rolleyes: Yep, Love the textures on arms, legs, face, etc..

I'm not sure why it stands out to me when it's obvious the image is a caricature. Maybe it is the lumpiness. Maybe it is the comparative simplicity of the textures on the breasts comparied the the complexity of the textures on the face and hands.

Antropus
10-13-2003, 06:29 AM
Yes! You thought correctly. My art direction for the film included certain visual incompatibilities. But I agree with you on the approached subjects. Thank you :thumbsup:

Antropus
10-13-2003, 06:38 AM
Just for fun: another example of my art direction (from 'The Werewolf and The Colonel', another short movie):

http://www.antropus.com/lobis/16.10.D.jpg

Looks a bit strange? I love mixed styles :)

Salaadin
10-13-2003, 07:23 AM
i have seen you work b4 and i really love it ..great stuff man..keep it up:thumbsup:

Sqwall
10-13-2003, 08:38 AM
Looks good. :thumbsup: That's why when I start to look like this in age I prefer someone to shoot me right between my eyes :shrug: .

dzogchen
10-13-2003, 01:41 PM
What a great character!:thumbsup:

Totoro77
10-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Hey great job here!
I especially like the expression in her eyes. Looks like she is waiting to pass away.

One other thing: I would add some bump on her forehead. It looks too flat.

And I agree with Slaughters, the shirt is disturbing. And even if you go for "socks-for-breasts-shirts", the socks should not touch the breasts in the wrinkles.

Apart from that, really great job. :beer:
I love her ears! :applause:

Great caricature. :thumbsup:

Kid-Mesh
10-13-2003, 01:49 PM
re·pug·nant - Arousing disgust or aversion; offensive or repulsive: morally repugnant behavior.

Here I am at work booting up my pc this morning, launching Maya and opening my IE browser to my fav home page whilst having my first cup of coffee and what do I see ?.... :hmm:

LOL, repugnant nature aside...you have skills and Im impressed no crits here. Just wished I saw it before breakfast.

-KM

elnady
10-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Amizaing Great texture
Bravo..........:drool:

r2d3
10-13-2003, 02:03 PM
i love the charakter the earrings are a bit off-key i think
congrats on making such an amazing short
after seeing your facial rig for the plumber on your site i was truly amazed
keep on truckin :beer:

Ac0rN
10-13-2003, 02:04 PM
I liked the render in 3ds max better, but its cool with maya tho ;)

or is this rendered in maya?

amazing work :applause:

Pharaun
10-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Three words: Oh... My... God... that's a hell of a grandma. Awesome work - another good example of how good a scene can look without GI, but with proper lighting.

Crewler
10-13-2003, 02:08 PM
nice, but her chests look too unrealistically.....not organically enough.
otherwise very well :)

cYa
CrewLer`

Kel Solaar
10-13-2003, 02:16 PM
Huhu :) she is excellent! :))

DANKA
10-13-2003, 03:01 PM
ah ah! nice!

I like te veins on the legs!:thumbsup:

BeerBelly
10-13-2003, 03:14 PM
whoa! Looks awsome! Your attention to detail is awsome! .. :)

However, I miss the 'hair piece' she has in the character gallery on your site. I think she looks 'better' with that on ... ;)

jum'bok
10-13-2003, 03:31 PM
well done, this is hilarious! the face especially is just priceless.

the only thing that bothers me is that table on the left looks like it is very close to the chair for such a big difference in focus.

Troy
10-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Your characters are just amazing - This old lady looks beautifully grotesque and I love the puple flowery motif armchair.

I much prefer your style of human character to those in Pixar films, and you still maintain a strong cartoon quality.

One crit - I think the hands would look really good if you added fine wrinkles to make it look shrivelled up and dry..

Hostil Elektrod
10-13-2003, 03:50 PM
LOL! great comic definition of a grandma i luv it :love:
imo the Back light is too sharp and the bright in the armchair is pretty but not real, no?

nice work! :buttrock:

AIPh Pretzel
10-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Everyone's talking about the character (which is great), but the scene is complimented very nicely with the DOF and perspective. Very well set up! The woman's attire is a bit ... bold ... but like you said it's intentional.

cuse
10-13-2003, 04:15 PM
hey dude!!!

I remember this in the wip days, awesome stuff... think it looks great and the over-saturated effect works well, think its anothger desktop, thanks! :thumbsup:

cuse

Raman
10-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Thanx for the inspiration. I'm modelling my own old geezer now, and mainly because I saw some of your wip's earlier.

Oh, and rad tuts on your homepage. Keep it up!

RedEye01
10-13-2003, 05:15 PM
YUK!!! No wonder old married men die first! Terrible honesty aside, I can't suggest any improvements - this image is just awesome!

Antropus
10-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Firstly, many thanks for the plug. I love it! :thumbsup:

Wow! Soooo many posts. Thanks a lot guys.

I'm at work, but I'll post some closes for you today, showing wires, a lot of details like wrinkles, varicoses and other ugly stuff, hehehe

cya

Opeth
10-13-2003, 05:41 PM
i love it.. really cool work :)
however, one little thing i think would suite this scene better is having it alot less saturated..
i modified the image a little to show u what i had in mind..

less saturated image (http://www.davids-gallery.com/mama.jpg)

William b. Hand
10-13-2003, 05:41 PM
I'm afraid I don't have the time to go through all the posts here to see if this has already come up, but...

That green skirt looks horrible.

I think it's just the colour itself, but it's almost hard to tell -- It destroys the piece as a whole. Whatever you're reasoning for doing that... it's not doing what you think it's doing. It's making a mess.

OTHERWISE: It's a lot of fun and looks great! :beer:

Antropus
10-13-2003, 06:52 PM
WOW! Thanks a lot for hosting my image Tito! :applause:

Opeth,
Oh yeah my friend... I made some tests with sepia tones too... I'll post today. Thanks for your work.

William b. Hand,
"That green skirt looks horrible"... I agree buddy :beer:

William b. Hand
10-13-2003, 07:09 PM
Something a little further about that skirt...

It seems pasted on... it doesn't occupy the same space as the rest of the image. I had originally thought that it was due to the horrible green colour, but something I noticed - where are the shadows? There don't seem to be any real shadows cast from the breasts onto the skirt (even though the breasts themselves are heavily shadowed), and no shadows cast by the skirt onto the slip or chair.

THAT's the big problem, I think.

gmask
10-13-2003, 07:25 PM
>>>There don't seem to be any real shadows cast from the breasts onto the skirt (even though the breasts themselves are heavily shadowed), and no shadows cast by the skirt onto the slip or chair.

Yeah.. you are right about that .. I dunno how big of a problem it is.. I mean they character is not exactly about total realism... but I think once things are animatedit would help.

Antropus
10-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Yeah guys! You are right! The scene with just old lady and armchair looks good, but because of my dome light (shadow maps with 256px resolution), if I render with some elements (like the background ones) shadows becomes very diffuse. I'll re-render in layers with no background elements to try fix it. Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

friedrice
10-13-2003, 09:25 PM
wow.. this is the first time when too much detail turned me off... jus me tho... *coughs...*

Jezait
10-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Eww, that's the ugliest old lady i've ever seen.

Great work though. :applause:

JFrench
10-13-2003, 09:35 PM
Great image. I think she would look good with really saturated lipstick, similar to her nail polish. That is something I always notice with old women. Excessive perfume and heavy lipstick.

-Jeremy

William b. Hand
10-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Mmm... I noticed something else:

I love the vericose veins, and age spots...(don't we all?)... But, you have them identically mirrored on each leg! NO NO NO -- Baaad! Break it up a bit. Asymmetry is the key! You were good on the face about this.

kodinaarian
10-13-2003, 09:55 PM
excellent work

but some pointers from me, the very very old lady seems to sit up straight and erect, defying her physical state. and also i feel u has style consistency issues. the lady seems to be a stylised human, while the table and clock, seems to be from the real world. and the color on the couch she is sitting is too harsh.

but great work none the less. how did u do the veins on her legs.

Virtuoso
10-13-2003, 10:24 PM
Elite caricature work.one of the best overall characters anywhere.I in fact like the chair and it's vibrant somewhat tacky appearance.It goes for a character such as this.The texture work is excellent,oh sooo many wrinkles.

My only crit would be the mirrored vein textures on her little Ol' legs.......They look great for old veins that is,but it would be nice to see a more diverse vein pattern for each leg.

Still all in all elite work caricature wise,love this ol' gal.Great work.:thumbsup: :beer:

Wilson-3d
10-13-2003, 10:26 PM
great textures. Very inspiring!

RYGUY182
10-13-2003, 11:17 PM
She looks really awesome, the textures really rock, i do agree however with the post on the first page about the color of the chair and clothes being too saturated. It makes them come off of the bg too much. but an overall great job!!

DAREONER
10-13-2003, 11:38 PM
very excellent,face, lighting, humour:thumbsup:

fattyLees
10-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Oh that's funny!!!

I agree that the shirt looks like it was custom made with boobie pockets...the shirt does need wrinkles in it.

Also, my grandma has a really hairy chin and has hair coming out of her ears, so Maybe you might wanna add that to your old lady...

really great charcter design!!!

My 2 cents,
Fatty

Antropus
10-14-2003, 01:33 AM
Yeah... her legs are duplicated... a shame! hehehe... well, I'll work on this detail before of the movie conclusion (if needs...)

Here some wires... sorry about resolution :shrug:

http://www.antropus.com/senzaazione/pics/mamawire.jpg

More images are coming... wait a minute please ;)

halo
10-14-2003, 01:35 AM
nice and different.

my critism beyond that would be

a) the lack of shadows, ok there wouldnt probably be any hard egded shadows in that enviroment but there would be some darkness tighter to geometry close to other geometry, like the breasts for example...i think you've been picked up on this already, so i guess you know what i mean. She seems to be lacking depth compared to the chair, i dont know if its the pose or the lighting/shadow, but 1/2 of her looks like shes sitting back in the chair yet her midrif seems to look like shes sitting on the edge.

b) the face, background and some of the textures look very highly finished and work together well, however some of the clothes seem to down a level from that, they look a little "gamey" in comparison to the rest of the scene. If they were given the same nth degree as the face it would help i think.

c)Perhaps the clothing isnt picking up the backlighting visible on the chair and her face as much, this combined with the shadow seems to be seperating her clothes as well from the rest of the image a little.

any thoughs about animation, i reckon you could get something really creepy and sick out of the scene quite easily... ;)

tongplai
10-14-2003, 01:51 AM
Owesome work !! really inspired!!!When will you finished the film??? Can't wait to see it!!

Virtuoso
10-14-2003, 03:06 AM
Yes Antropus give them that diversity.When I mentioned it earlier I just thought that with work such as this in top notch form you really should go that extra mile and give this ol' gal diversity to her veins in her legs.You have given such great detail already,just keep her perfect by resahping those veins patterns a bit.Anyways with your texture ability it will be a snap.:cool:

I am looking forward to your animation very much.hope to see it soon.:beer:

Luke Werhli
10-14-2003, 04:49 AM
Hello Antropus!!! Great work

I´m from Brazil too. But I live in the cold south.

I think her boobies look so sexy!!!

She looks like the grandma in the Nutty Professor. LoL.

Modron
10-14-2003, 05:34 AM
Beautiful work. Lots of good details. The garish colors of the furniture etc are perfect, for this reason: When people get old, and their eyes go bad, they like the bright colors,...because they can see them. Think about it,...if you had but one good taste bud, you would probably want to eat the most flavorful thing you could get your hands on. Nice work.<<edit>>hehe just noticed the chipped nail polish. nice touch!

Antropus
10-14-2003, 05:50 AM
Thank you very much for your posts guys!

Modron, very good point my friend. I agree! :thumbsup:

Luke, valeu meu camarada!

Some wires (sorry about resolution... just to fit in 20kb)

Antropus
10-14-2003, 05:51 AM

Antropus
10-14-2003, 05:58 AM

???
10-14-2003, 06:08 AM
Antropus... THE MASTER OF OLD PEOPLES :thumbsup:

yamazake
10-14-2003, 06:10 AM
Fala Antropus, cara gostei muito do seu trabalho !!
como vc fez as texturas? o cabelo fico show!!
ta de parabems!:beer:

facial
10-14-2003, 06:11 AM
Yes, She is sooooo old. :thumbsup:

Antropus
10-14-2003, 06:18 AM

Antropus
10-14-2003, 06:27 AM
Thank you guys! Hair are poly... just it...

And here some new angles and details:

http://www.antropus.com/senzaazione/pics/mama2.jpg

http://www.antropus.com/senzaazione/pics/mama3.jpg

And new one with more super-over-saturation over the background... weird ha? :beer:
http://www.antropus.com/senzaazione/pics/mama4.jpg

And of course, shadows are improved

DeathBrain
10-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Great texturing detail..:)
Thats why i always love Maya default render

jCoops
10-14-2003, 07:28 AM
at the risk of sounding like a fanboy....
wicked:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Zanith
10-14-2003, 07:48 AM
Awesome quality and style . . . BUT THOSE LEGS AND BOOBIES SCARE ME!! MAMA!!!! :: Hides :: :blush:

sixthe45
10-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Beautifully modelled and rendered. :thumbsup:
Style is really nice. :beer:

draxaz
10-14-2003, 09:49 AM
:buttrock: Nice breast :applause:

lo_volt
10-14-2003, 11:11 AM
It's great texuring job on the face, to me she looks like Granpa from Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so for me she's a little scary. Her upper legs look a bit wierd though

http://mysite.freeserve.com/lo_volt

Jelinek
10-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Absolutely super!

Very good work.

William b. Hand
10-14-2003, 12:29 PM
MUCH BETTER with the Shadows!!
Coooool. :D

lildragon
10-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Antropus I'm really curious about that lighting setup you got there, care to tell us a bit about it?

-lild

nomad_girl
10-14-2003, 01:05 PM
great work here!

i like the image very much--- wonderful color & detail. your website is very impressive. the "making of" shots are reallly cool. it is quite well done. i wished i could see the storyboards close up too---- they look intriguing. you have a great eye for color and detail.

look forward to seeing the characters moving!

Antropus
10-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Hey! I love your comments. Thanks a lot.

Tito, sure my friend. Here some details:

- I've using half dome light with 32 direct white lights, low intensity (0.030) and no specular. Dmap resolution = 190.
- 1 white area light with very high intensity (850), linear decay, specular=on.
- 1 white point light with no diffuse, just for better specular control and intensity=0.5
- 1 white fill point light with high intensity (140) and linear decay, shadows=on
- 2 backlights:
1 blue, intensity=200, no diffuse, just specular=on;
1 white, intensity=600, no diffuse, just specular=on.

Here's the setup:
http://www.antropus.com/senzaazione/pics/lights.jpg

cya :)

stv
10-14-2003, 06:10 PM
oh,oh she's scaring... wonderful!

dg
10-14-2003, 11:17 PM
WOW!!!

Nothing to say, awesome as usual.
Can't wait to see the short movie with those incredible characters.

Congrats mate,
See you! :surprised

AndyH
10-15-2003, 12:02 AM
eeek!

I love everything about this pic - specially the texturing, but those saggy bits just ruin it for me - i know they add character to her, but, as others have said, they seem to be placed into 'socks' on her top. The material goes underneath them, rather than flowing over them.
Excellent work (on the 'animator guy' as well), but those baps scare me!

Antropus
10-16-2003, 11:42 PM
stv, DG and Andy H, many thanks for your comments. Maybe this scene is not finished yet... ;)

This is "Senzaazione", my short movie in progress :thumbsup:

lildragon
10-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Aside from the mirrored textured :shame: naughty and the flap jack breast :shudder: this is stellar work Antropus, very nice indeed. One thing I did notice is that the shadows under the breasts are kinda washed out, with them sitting on the stomach like that, there should be some darker shadows, just a thought. Thx for sharing your setup btw, nicely done, you should make it a script if you haven't already :)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Excellent work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Antropus
10-19-2003, 01:59 PM
:beer: Many thanks Tito :beer:

pierre
10-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Hey, great job!! i love texture and your lights setup :thumbsup:

ps.... I need the mobile phone of this girl!!! :drool:

dreamz
11-09-2003, 05:28 PM
i love everything on it, from the strange POV (it loks like she's looking at a small child) form her look that feels so wise, warm and tender, to the all color palette, fabulous work!!!!! :applause:

DoLeeP
11-11-2003, 01:04 AM
great work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fluids
03-17-2005, 11:03 PM
is she alive? barely? great detail. i love her varicose veins! it doesn't really look like she's sitting down on the chair. other than that - great work!

hhhho
09-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Good Work,really

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 06:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.