PDA

View Full Version : Hexagon z-depth blur in Nuke?

Jeroen
12-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Hey guys
How can I get a nice looking Z-blur effect with hexagon shapes in Nuke? Iíve got my Z-depth pass, but the Z-Blur node is to smooth for my taste and doesnít have that real camera blur feeling. I would love to have the hexagon effect.

There was something which said I have to use the Convolve node, but I donít fully understand how to attach this.

Thanks
Jeroen

th3ta
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Using the convolve node is correct.

Copy your Z depth image into the depth.Z channel of the image you want to blur.

Create convolve node.

Plug the image you want to blur into the B input. The A input takes a shape for the aperture of the camera, it can be a hexagon or any shape you want. So just use the roto node and draw the hexagon shape you want, remember to keep it very small and add a crop node after it to keep it small.

Select depth.Z (Z depth image you copied here earlier) as the mask in the convolve node.

Some images it works great, some stuff you'll need to break up into multiple layers and blur them independently for best results. You can always grade the depth map too to adjust the look.

Jeroen
01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Wow. Thatís the look I was searching for. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.