PDA

View Full Version : Bakery Relight

patrickrowan
12-09-2010, 06:58 PM
hey,

anyone heard of this, used it or got any opinions on it? I just can across it today. looks interesting might suit smaller studios?

http://www.thebakeryanimation.com/
youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4wLgD5inhQ&feature=player_embedded)

playmesumch00ns
12-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Yup seen a demo of it. Looks very cool. More suited to feature animation than to vfx, but still very nice.

patrickrowan
12-10-2010, 03:18 PM
theres definatily a need for a program like this from a cg point of view. trying to do look dev and getting final images out can be a long drawn out process sometimes. 40% in maya and 60% nuke. a ton of mattes and a bit of back and forth. im not sure why autodesk hasnt came out with something like this already? maybe they might just buy these guys out. is katana claiming to do something similar?

pokoy
12-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the link. Very interesting, the whole concept proves that sometimes you need to think outside of the box. Being used to 3dsmax and how things are done in it I've been surprised how useful it looks and how much AD could learn from its concept.

rendermaniac
12-11-2010, 11:31 AM
This seems to be mainly used as an internal lighting tool at the Bakery - has anywhere external bought it? It would be interesting comparing this to Katana - they seem to have a lot of similar concepts.

I guess having their own renderer means that they can hook into it more, but this might put people off if you can't use an external renderer (I am assuming this going from the website - please correct me if I am wrong!).

Relight and Katana definitely seem like good ways to do lighting.

Simon

mercuito
12-13-2010, 12:30 AM
This seems to be mainly used as an internal lighting tool at the Bakery - has anywhere external bought it? It would be interesting comparing this to Katana - they seem to have a lot of similar concepts.

I guess having their own renderer means that they can hook into it more, but this might put people off if you can't use an external renderer (I am assuming this going from the website - please correct me if I am wrong!).

Simon

Whats good about katana is it doesn't use it built in renderer, it gets hooked up to third party rendereres such as prman or mray.

playmesumch00ns
12-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Simon

The whole thing's kinda reliant on them having their own renderer due to the way it works, which allows them to do the very fast relighting.

earlyworm
12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
(from what I understand)

Katana only supports re-rendering/lighting if the renderer supports it. And at this stage the only two renderers supported are PRman and Arnold - so it would be up to software developers to implement plugins to allow Katana to render to 3Delight, Mental Ray, Vray, etc.

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.