PDA

View Full Version : Assigning different image sequences per sprite particle

ddrummer
12-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Hi guys,

I'm having this issue with assigning different image sequences for each sprite particle.

I have 5 character run-cycles. I'm thinking of using sprite particles to duplicate them randomly and animate them over a flat plane.I've rendered each run-cycle to PNG sequence (run-cycle A, run-cycle B, run-cycle C, run-cycle D, run-cycle E) and now i'm having trouble assigning them to each individual sprites.

When I use the sprite wizard, it seems to only able to select one animation sequence. In my case, I have 5 different sequences.

Can anyone share a few tips on how to work around this issue? I'd appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

republicavfx
12-09-2010, 12:49 PM
you proba bly have to combine your sequences into 1 sequence and note frame numbers. Then in your expression assign the correct part of the sequence to your particles with an if then or case statement

ddrummer
12-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the pointer Scott. I understand the concept of naming the sequence images consecutively and set maya to play the sequence from certain image number or set it to play a certain range of images. However, i'm not familiar with expressions and scripting.

Are there any procedural way or this effect can only be done using expressions?

If using expression is the only solution, could anybody share how it would be written?

Here are some details:

1. Entire animation length 65 frames

2. Runcycle A - 65 frames
Runcycle B - 65 frames
Runcycle C - 65 frames
Runcycle D - 65 frames
Runcycle E - 65 frames

The runcycles are not looping.

3. Each file is named consecutively :
- runA.1.png
- runA.2.png
- runA.3.png
- (continues)
- runA.65.png
- runB.1.png
- runB.2.png
- runB.3.png
- (continues)
- runB.65.png
- (continues until runE.65.png)

In total, there are 325 images compiled together in one folder.

Anyone care to share some knowledge? Thanks a lot guys.

Derek Wolfe
12-10-2010, 07:28 PM
A simple approach would be to use a difference particle system for each run cycle.

lightcache
12-13-2010, 01:00 PM
you will have to rename ur sequence to one lot of frames and assign an expresion that will call frame ranges. its here, kind of.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2010help/index.html?url=Particles_Assign_image_sequences_to_sprites.htm,topicNumber=d0e385612

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2010, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.