PDA

View Full Version : Light bulbs with Vray

JohnDoe22
12-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi there! I have problems lighting my scene, my biggest problem is the render time of the animation.
With my current lighting/materials/vray settings, it takes about one hour per frame. (quadcore 3,4ghz).

The scene consists of a big room with just standard white vray material. I have about 16 light bulbs hanging from the sealing. The bulbs have a lot of detail due to close-up shots. Every bulb has a vraylight (mesh) add to the filament spring thingie :) These mesh lights are the only lights in my scene.

With render settings on standard (+ indirect illumination on) it takes about one hour to render, and i want to add even more light bulbs to it eventually. GI primary is set to Irradiance map, secondary to brute force. I've tried light cache, but that looks like crap with standard settings.

What do you guys suggest to cut render times, but still maintain realistic, clear glass light bulbs, with nice 'shadow effects' on the walls when animated. I'd also like a glow on my lights, i've tried vrayenvironmentfog but the results were no good.

Here an example of my scene (far from finished, and still not the look i want to go for in terms of color use and mystique)

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6162/65576923.jpg

ndeboar
12-08-2010, 10:51 PM
cheat, cheat cheat. Then cheat some more.

Eg: Just take this as the look you want, and match it with a couple point lights, and try a cheaper gi soultion.

MikeBracken
12-08-2010, 11:47 PM
I agree. We do almost all animation work, and 1 hour a frame is usually not acceptable.
But now that you have set the scene up "physicaly, winkwink", you have a good start as to what the image "should" look like. This is a common workflow for me when I am unsure of what something "should" look like.

Ndeboar was absolutely correct.....cheat, cheat, cheat.

What I would tell people just starting out is to learn EVERY cheat/hack/whatever that you can. Because in the end that is what will make you shine during a tight deadline, and they are all tight deadlines. Every now and then we get a little bit more time and I get to turn on all the bells and whistles, but most of the time I have to do alot of cheating to meet the production schedule.

Regards,
Mike

CHRiTTeR
12-09-2010, 07:27 AM
but that looks like crap with standard settings.

Well, its never a good idea to relly on standard/default settings.

Ani-MaX
12-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Honestly toy around with the settings. Don't use the standard ones. Read up on being efficient with Vray. Or if time is of the essence; toy around and cheat cheat cheat.

JohnDoe22
12-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Well then... cheating and toying around it is :) I always toy around with settings for hours and hours, and most of the time it helps, but it's so time consuming, and most of all BORING! I know it's my own fault, for not knowing vray all that well. I did some reading up on vray, and found out that it's way faster to use light cache, but as i said, it looked like crap, i tried to change its settings, but still looks like crap.

Maybe it helps to use self-illumination for the filament, instead of the mesh light, and add a sphere vray light instead, will do some more testing soon!

I kinda hoped someone had experience with making realistic light bulb lights, and could give me some scene related answers instead of 'all we do is fake things most of the time' :) but hey, if that how it needs to be done :) It's a scene i'm doing in my spare time, so no deadlines, but i don't want this to take weeks and weeks, because my problem is, i have way to many things i want to try out with max, if it wasn't for those damned rendertimes!! ;)

MikeBracken
12-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Well I cant imagine running an animation in my studio using mesh light filaments to light the scene. Just to impractical, and rendertimes will be high regardless of how optimized your render settings are. Vray is an awesome renderer, but dont be suprised if everyone says the same thing about cheating.

Regards,
Mike

CHRiTTeR
12-09-2010, 03:23 PM
a simple way to improve lightcache quality is to use lower sample size and more subdivs.
Alos, i usually turn off the option to use lightcache to store direct light (i get weird results with it)

ndeboar
12-09-2010, 11:32 PM
but it's so time consuming, and most of all BORING
Welcome to our industry

I kinda hoped someone had experience with making realistic light bulb lights, and could give me some scene related answers instead of 'all we do is fake things most of the time'

I did, read my post.

JohnDoe22
12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I know, i was being sarcastic :) I'm trying out the feedback of you guys as we speak, probably continue tomorrow, keep you posted! Really appreciate it!

JohnDoe22
12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
I managed to cut down the rendering time to about 4 minutes per frame, without to much loss of detail! Mainly due to removing the mesh lights and replacing them with regular sphere lights. It still needs a lot of work, but the new settings are a lot more workable. But now i have a new problem, some parts of the electric cords are not visible in the render. So i'm gonna work on that!

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.