PDA

View Full Version : Texture Bake animated objects

Outlawed
12-07-2010, 10:59 PM
I have several objects that I animated, then combined. They still keep their individual animation even though they are now combined as 'one' mesh (which is what I wanted).

However, because i used a planar projection for the texture (from above) of this object, the texture is fine at frame 1, but once the objects start moving, the texture remains locked to that 'downward projection'. Therefore, the texture appears to slide (although obviously because the texture is stationary and the objects are moving). The texture was not created as a projection, but as normal.

I have tried baking the texture to the object, but the 'sliding' still occurs.

Any ideas? I followed this texture baking tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfCBGrbmyUY

Many thanks.

Outlawed
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Using Maya 2009 on OSX by the way...

animatedfox
12-07-2010, 11:17 PM
usually to keep textures from sliding with projections, you can just create a texture reference object: Rendering > Texturing > Create Texture Reference Object. Then you should be all set.
As for your baking of textures not working...it could be a bunch of things...but I think in this case a Texture Reference Object should do the trick!
Good luck,
~Ben

Outlawed
12-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Nope, didn't work :(

Outlawed
12-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Shouldn't baking the texture prevent the texture from moving?

Outlawed
12-08-2010, 12:59 AM
I went back to an older file (before I combined all the objects) and applied the material to each of them individually. Whilst it involved a bit of UV mapping, it appears to have solved the problem for now...

Thanks for the reference object suggestion, I'm sure it will be handy in the future.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2010, 12:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.