PDA

View Full Version : multi-way transform groups?

MTuttle
12-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I know there are plugins out there which allow constraints to be bi-directional, but is it possible to just have custom transform nodes that can share/exchange transforms with other objects? Would that solve any other issue other than the one I'm wanting to get rid of: Being unable to group a ikHandle under a transform that's constrained/affected by the end joint that the handle's attached to without cycling occuring?

uiron
12-08-2010, 03:54 PM
by your description you want to achieve the impossible (or not having finite value) - IK transformation influences joint transformation, joint transformation influences IK transformation. it's something like asking the computer to answer the question "what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object". it has no solution unless you have to make either force stoppable or object movable.

you should change your thinking way instead - maybe you can have third object which you use as parent for both? maybe you can break cyclic dependency into A.rotation->B.rotation, B.translation->A.translation?

Any "bidirectional" solution i've seen is just cleverly hidden cycle management (creating one connection while breaking the other).

MTuttle
12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Then can there be a "connect-break" node that stores transform inputs but only outputs it when it's on/off is set to 1? I'm not sure I understand your other alternatives...Are you talking about a third parent for the 1k/fk controllers, or for the joints and their handles, or for both? What is A & B in your example?

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.