PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio WIP: Crits needed

mmProj
10-12-2003, 03:23 PM
hey there,

www.members.optusnet.com.au/alexanderbobin

ok this is an early version of my portfolio site.... its basic graphich design and theme is done but extras need to be added....... no content in yet..... basic intercative design is done so please look.

things i want to change and would like comments on:
:: currently its a boring blob in the middle of the page .... i want to tie it in with the static html behind by maybe the use of some graphic which slightly overlaps the swf but is mostly in the html background
:: i want to have some kind of activity whilst the state is still ... maybe a random shine/flash of my logo ... that kind of thing
:: the little 3d icons arent done for curriculum vitae and portfolio... they are comming.

EDIT: also the 3d house and letter icons dont fit in too snuggly with the flat style ... i intend to remidy this with the inclusion of other elements... so they dont just look like they have been added cause they are 3d................. i dont intend this to be a big flashy flash site with heeps of cool stuff ..... i want it to be simple, well layed out and self contained... thats my approach.

CRITS & COMMENTS PLEASE !

rkian
10-12-2003, 07:50 PM
I would like to see your work in it. But one suggestions is that maybe you can add in some desgins to your "home" background. And for the rest of the pop up white boxes, you can make them transparent. I think that's a simple way to bring some layers to your website.

Hope this helps

kingston
10-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Hey I like the design nice and simple. Something that bothers me is that the buttons move when you rollover them. Not a big problem on your site cause its only a slight movement. I do not like to chase buttons down when I am trying to click on them.

proximity
10-21-2003, 11:36 AM
a preloader would would be worth your while too. Thats white space is very contrasty ( quite jarring to the eye .) Maybe you could add a bit of grey to it , perhaps? another thing the letter is the background AB could perhaps be extended through into that white space to help to flesh it out, and add some depth.

hmm maybe that contrasty white comment was a bit harsh. It will look Ok when you have some stuff in there!

just my 1.438948 cents worth.

mmProj
10-29-2003, 10:59 PM
thanks everyone for their comments :)

-- rkian
i agree ... i am in the process of adding something extra to the content background to add an extra layer to the design.

-- kingston
i agree ... i had just been thinking that i should lose the button movement when i was reading your post ... i propose maybe the tabs being up against the base of the content frames with some alpha over states or something along those lines

-- proximity
hmmmm the preloader .... i actually do have one ....... strange.. did it not display for you and the whole thing just loaded ?..... or do you mean preloaders for the content in each section ?... ALSO... yeah i think the content frames do have abit too much contrast .... i will work on bringing it down a tad and hopefully with the addition of a low alpha graphic in each frame .... it will make it more easy on the eye.

thanks to all for your comments ! .. and anyone else who has an opinion ... i am keen to hear.

mmProj

IonDesign
10-30-2003, 03:42 PM
I like the design of the site a lot. Very clean. The animation runs smoothly even on this old pentium II that I'm using to view it.

You said you would like to have something going on when the page is static. What if you had the AB in your logo rotate every couple of seconds. That might spice it up a bit.

As far as the buttons moving... it might work better if they moved up after you clicked on them. I wouldn't take the button movement out all together. I think it adds interest to the site.

Aaron.

Aelius
11-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Looks nice. Some blurry pixel fonts on the menu and page headings tho.

Michael Chen
11-07-2003, 01:15 AM
Pretty cool. Nice transitions.

Just one thing, your pixel text is a bit blurred out.

Overall I think you've done a great job on your site :)

pur9e
11-08-2003, 02:01 AM
What a pleasant and intuitive navigation paradigm! So refreshing to see a nice new bent on an old theme. I wonder how you could carry this to another level of depth.

mmProj
11-08-2003, 05:20 AM
thanks for all your encouragement ! :)

re: those blurry fonts ..... yeah its strange even though their x and y are whole numbers .. they still blur .... it requires some more attention.

the current state of the site is only temporary .... abit unpolished atm...... i had to get some content in quickly for an assessment item at uni.

pur9e ...... thats a great suggestion actually....... with more time i will attempt carry the transition/ navigation theme throughout the site.... sanks.

Titan
11-08-2003, 08:05 PM
not trying to sound negative or rain on anyones parade.....
I like your design and applaud your use of flash, but why use flash?
most everything you have in the site can be achieved through HTML and Javascript.....
so if your gonna use flash, why not REALLY flash it up with some complex animations, interactions or actionscripts? Maybe think about stuff that cant be done with conventional html/javascript etc.... it seems youre just using flash for the sake of using flash and not really to achieve anything greater.

Again, I dont mean to sound negative or bring you down because I can obviously see how hard you've worked on it....
I worked at a marketing and branding firm as the director of multimedia and my higher ups constantly reminded me that if we use flash for our customer make sure you are using it with a purpose and not just to recreatewhat can be done with conventional webscripts...the reasoning is why should a client pay more for a flash site if youre not giving them anything more than a less expensive html site.

Overall nice job, just giving you my 2cents...good luck.

Titan
11-08-2003, 08:12 PM
also on the blurry fonts....
try setting the x and y coordinates to a .3 location.
took me forever to figure out, but I worked on a project with one of the lead developers of the original FLASH( then called Splash, bought by macromedia and rereleased as FLash 2.0).
I was getting stretching and blurring on images that faded up or moved across the screen. he told me to set the XY coordinates to a fractional location...for example x position 100.3, or Y position 100.3

that fixed my problem, but It was pertaining to loaded bitmaps and images converted to symbols.
if you are using text that has been loaded from a bitmap I would suggest using dynamic text with no aliasing created in flash.

hope that helps.

mmProj
11-09-2003, 01:40 AM
hi titan...... no no my parade hasnt been rained on.... crits are ALWAYS welcome.

you are 100% correct ..... a good deal of what i have in there can be done with js or standard html .... especially the proftolio section which is really sub standard atm.

i had to get a quick version of the site finished for assessment at uni so it is faaar from complete ...... as soon as i finish my degree i will be reworking pretty much most of the content areas and rethinking various aspects ... i just havent had time to date.

one thing i noticed is that the room for content is faaaar to small imo .... this needs to be fixed ... along with various other things.

re: reasons for using flash ...... well i haveto admit my js skills are not up to scratch ..... something which needs to be remedied ....... re: dynamic elements ........ hmm yeah i do have randomly playing movies like a shine in the logo and an anim of my name .... although these are not obvious.

re: blurred pixel fonts .... thanks a bunch... i will try that.

i'll repost here when the site is closer to complete.

sanks
-mmProj

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.