PDA

View Full Version : particles to fluids with soup

mlager8
12-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I know there is a huge 22 min video on vimeo about the pointCloudFluidEmitter node, but unfortunately at work i have no speakers and I'm finding it hard to follow the tutorial without audio. Can someone give me a quick rundown of how to take a particle sim and use it to run a fluid sim? I plugged the position from the cached particles into the input PositionPP of the soup node, but where do I go from there? Do I need to emit fluids from an emitter and plug the particles node into the new emitter? Do I plug the PositionPP input directly into the fluid grid? If so what exactly do I have to connect? I've been looking around of the boards and throught he SouP thread but I cant seem to find an answer. Thanks for help and advice anyone can give me.

Aikiman
12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi there.

Yep plug the particleShape1.worldPosition>pointCloudFluidEmitter.inPositionPP so the fluid knows where your particles are in ws.
If you want to transfer color across, create an expression on opacity and rgb if you like and connect the outputs to an arrayToArray node to combine them as one output. Then connect
arrayToArray.output>pointCloudFluidEmitter.inRgbaPP. Make sure emit color is on in the fluid emitter and that color is dynamic grid on the fluid. This is an important step because the emitter is looking for a 4 float array not a 3 float.

Use dynamics relationship editor to link emitter with fluid.

Come over to soup-dev.com

pshipkov
12-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I think the easier way to find the answer to your question is to check the example scenes (anything that starts with pointCloudFluidEmitter_).
One or two of them have exactly what you are asking for.

mlager8
12-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks for the forum link Aiki, and thanks for this great plugin peter.

PacManiac
12-09-2010, 03:29 AM
I thought 2011 would do this? Haven't tried out the soup thing yet, nor maya 2011's supposed implementation but it'd be great to hear what the differncies are..

Aikiman
12-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Maya currently does not do dynamic color transfer from particle to fluid.

pshipkov
12-09-2010, 03:34 PM
My comment may sound like SOuP advertisement, but here:
What Maya provides out of the box is the basics. I am trying to take this concept to higher level with more options and flexibility.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2010, 03:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.