PDA

View Full Version : First character model

biggestkid
12-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Hey guys i am currently working on my first character model. I started with his boots and worked my way up to his knees. But before i go any further i want to know how to ensure that he deforms well during movement animations such as walking and running animations?

Any tips i should keep in mind while modeling to ensure correct and good looking animations?

Thanks,
big

Stavs82
12-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Some things to keep in mind would be try to keep things in quads as much as possible. Also evenly spaced out polygons can help, as well as having 3 edge loops around major places of deformation like a knee or elbow, and finger joints. Also try to keep a flow with the edge loops. Those are just some quick tips.

biggestkid
12-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Ok well i always model in quads anyway, so that shouldnt be anything too new. And i try my best to keep edge loops flowing, so again, shouldnt be too hard to accomplish.

The evenly spaced polygons and 3 edge loops i didnt know, and that is great info thanks a heap.

Anything else i should/can know?

Thanks,
big

Duncs
12-06-2010, 03:23 PM
This is a great resource for modelling for deformation...
http://www.hippydrome.com/

cg-cnu
12-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the great link. I would like to add the topology series by cg cookie. Just search for them in vimeo.

biggestkid
12-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Also, would it be better to model the legs all as one piece? Or to model say the thigh and the shin separetly, and use some other geometry for the joints?

Stavs82
12-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I am not sure what your character design looks like, but if it is a human looking leg then one solid mesh for the legs would work well.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2010, 07:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.