PDA

View Full Version : Import only a few objects from a .ma file?

zoharl
12-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Again this basic stuff I can't seem to handle...

I have a big scene which I'd like to import only a few objects from. I don't want the overhead of exporting them each time I make a change for importing. There's this great mechanism of referencing, but I don't want a dependency between the files, and I'd like each to have its own instance of the object with different properties.
Any ideas?

mduvekot
12-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't want the overhead of exporting them each time I make a change for importing. .. I don't want a dependency between the files.

As far as I can tell, you're contradicting yourself here. Either the changes propagate in which case there is a dependency, or they don't, in which case there's no need to "export[...] them each time I make a change".

Maybe you could write up a use case that explains what you want better.

I would think that you might be able to get (close to) what you want by exporting the scene elements as offline files.

zoharl
12-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Let me give a specific example:

I have two instances of maya m1, m2, each works on a file 1.ma or 2.ma respectively. 1.ma is a big scene with N objects. 2.ma is some scene with a script which imports x << N small objects from 1.ma, and change them (without touching the original objects). The loop of work goes like this:

1. I make changes in m1 to the x small objects, and save the scene.
2. Switch to m2 and run the script.

I'm not sure how to accomplish this, since I can only import a whole scene. I can write a script that would first export the selected x objects from 1.ma to some temporary file in the end of step one, and then in step 2 I'll import from this temporary file, but I would have liked to skip this overhead of a temporary file.

mduvekot
12-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Applying the edits made in 1.ma to 2.ma is simple; you can use the offline edits for that. There's no temporary file, only 1.ma and 2.ma. You only have to create 2.ma once. You don't even need to reference anything, you Apply via Import.

zoharl
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure what you meant by off line edits, but if I import m1.ma as is, it would import everything - all the N objects while I need only x specific objects.

mduvekot
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
well, yes, of course. There is no partial import. As I said, you must create 2.ma first. If you were able to import a partial scene there would be no need to transfer the edits.

I was referring to

File->Export to Offline File...
File->Assign Offline File...

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.