PDA

View Full Version : blendshapes best method?

crgowo
10-12-2003, 05:39 AM
Im tring to create multiple poses for a face (like mouth open. smile. grin raise eye brow. etc etc. )so that i can create blendshapes. What is the best method to create mutliple blendshapes for a polyface.
I think it would just be to diffecult to do by translating the points/edges/faces. Whats the most efficent method. Should i select multiple vertices and create a lattice for that particular area? Im stumped.
Thanks for your help.

jHromika
10-12-2003, 05:30 PM
No real tricks, just good old fashioned vertex pushing and pulling.

Certain shapes you can weight a jaw joint and speed up the process though. Jaw open is a good example. Do a temporary skinning for the jaw, rotate the joint some, then duplicate the geometry and make sure there's no history. Then just tweak the shape a bit as you feel is needed.

For most shapes though, I tend to start out in the front view and shape my edgeloops for whatever I'm trying to build. Smile for example, I'll move everything around so that I can get some width and height on the lips, and set up a nice crease. Once I think it's looking alright, I'll move to perspective, and start pushing points in the z axis to add depth. Then I'll go back and forth checking and smoothing the vertex alignment. Sometimes I will pull up the sculpt polygons tool and take a small brush with low strength and smooth certain areas out a bit. Other than that though, it's all playing with vertices.

I suppose if you really wanted to though, you could try to place temporary joints around the face like with the jaw, but I'd imagine by time you placed them correctly, weighted them, posed them, and made final tweaks, you could of made the same shape just by moving vertices.

Good luck :thumbsup:

crgowo
10-13-2003, 04:04 PM
oh man. this is going to take a while then :(
I guess it will be good practice.. Maya doesnt have a slide tool does it?
p.s. Thanks for you help.

jHromika
10-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Yeah, it's just one of those things you have to sit down and plug away at.

What do you mean by slide tool though? I don't quite understand.

Phearielord
10-14-2003, 01:17 AM
another good way is using 'combination sculpting'.
it's where you create all the basic muscle movements in the face, then combining them to create actual facial expressions....
That's what Bay Riatt did with Gollum.
Daniel PK wrote a script to make this easier, both for combination sculpting and for the actual animation process.
it rocks!!! :thumbsup:
you can download the files here:
http://dpk.stargrav.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=category&id=3
the files are called "DPK_combinationSystemUI", and "DPK_animationInterface".
The anim UI is also very similar, with most of the same features the used for Gollum.
check it out.
it's incredibly flexible.

though this method is very good, it doesn't make the actual process of creating the base blendshapes any easier......but for the big expressions, it saves a lot of time!

JasonOsipa
10-14-2003, 01:26 AM
Pushing and pulling verts isn't so bad, but you have to have a plan; know what you're aiming for. Also there's a lot that you can do to make the process easier like first building shapes that will help you with other shapes later; for instance, an open mouth is good in animation for opening the mouth, but it's also invaluable during the building of other shapes; you can then subtract it out to have your resultant shape.

I've got a book about this out there, that takes on approaches to getting your face nice and squooshy. Take a peek, maybe it could help you! -J.

My little happy book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782141293/qid=1051558530/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-6083044-8144925?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.