PDA

View Full Version : lighting test - problem with wine blurring at other side of the glass and SSS

Piotrek255
12-05-2010, 01:44 AM
hi, i'm trying to achieve this effect

http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/Product_27/Studio-Stemless-Cabernet-Merlot-Wine-Glass-SZ79827.jpg

i'm stuck with the wine blurring at the other side of the glass, and the reflections setup, i'm using one photometric sphere light with shadows on, skylight and sky portals at the sides.

material is arch&design with translucency turned on, from many approaches i tried with the max refl/refr disance but didnt get the results i wanted

I tried many approaches to get the nice fading SSS effect of the wine from the photo, the soft reflections and the blurry wine edges make this photo really great, but i'm out of ideas how to get such results.

kanooshka
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Couldn't you just do a little transparency mapping with a gradient?

Piotrek255
12-05-2010, 03:34 PM
i could fake it in a lot of ways in 3dmax or in post, but i wanted to make something nice in a single scene, the results i got from this few hours of testing dont look anything like the refference photo and i have no idea which to get this effect in mental ray.

Piotrek255
12-05-2010, 04:44 PM
i tried to map the refraction in arch & design with gradient coming from dark red to light red and got blue refractions... i think it is one of the hardest lighting/shader setup i ever tried to recreate.

MikeBracken
12-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Have you set a max distance in the refraction settings of the A&D mat ?

Regards,
Mike

Piotrek255
12-05-2010, 07:32 PM
yes, i tried it, but i could not get the same results as in the photo, it has this nice depth, maybe someone familiar with photography could tell me how the lights were set up, or where should i put reflection planes, and which ones whould be black and which one white.

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2010, 07:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.