PDA

View Full Version : How to make grass on big plane?

Gloor
12-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Hello guys,

I have a scene where I need to have good looking grass - not necessarily realistic but realistic enough to look good. (something between cartoon and photorealistic)
I've found this tutorial and with some tweaks it works great and is kinda what I was looking for but it doesn't work on the big plane I needed for
http://cg-nation.com/articles/modeling/maya-grass-tutorial-using-maya-fur

Basically, my planes is about 10x bigger so increasing density to about 1mil makes it still not enough (the grass is really bold) but the render is not really working as either maya crashes or it takes ages (tried to leave my 12 core mac pro over 2 hours and still no render).

What do you think would be the best way to do the grass for the scene? What else can I tweak in the grass setting to get really rich grass (not few grass hair every few cms)? I can't scale the scene as the models don't scale that well. :(

Any idea?
Or if you know how to tweak the render so it doesn't take ages or crashes that would really help too
Thank you very much.

ruchitinfushion
12-05-2010, 04:55 AM
Follow this post
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=804892

Pyrokinesis
12-06-2010, 06:28 AM
I would use PaintFX, there are quite a few options in regards to how to apply the strokes. branch grass preset is a really good place to start, but there are several to choose from, not mention the ability to make you own. Once you have the grass placed, paintFX has dynamics options for motion.

There's a steep learning curve with paintFX, but I promise, its worth it.

Gloor
12-06-2010, 11:55 AM
thank you, ill give it a go.

thank you both for your time

bendingiscool
12-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Could just split up the massive plane into a bunch of smaller planes and render it out in layers, then comp it back together?

cheers,
Chris

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2010, 10:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.