PDA

View Full Version : New Rig

andylt1
12-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Hi all

I popped one of my old rigs up on Creative Crash recently, and forgot to tell the cgTalk community... Shame on me! So here it is.

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/character-rigs/c/game-jedi

Theres some scripts to go with him, so read the notes for install. It's super simple I swear.

It may not be perfect, but it's free. I hope someone gets some use out of him.

Cheers

SGJohnMcClane2k8
12-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Great rig! Very complete! It has a lot of cool features... :thumbsup:

Whats the "Show Gimbal" attribute for?

Did you implement in the rig a technique to "avoid" or correct Gimbal Lock? Or do you have any tip or trick to deal with it when you're doing a rig? Besides the rotation order, of course...

Cheers!

mlefevre
12-05-2010, 02:25 PM
hey andy,

i'm sure ive seen this somewhere before..hehe, it's great that you've made it available to download!
i'd heard you moved, hope all's well. i'm having a blast at uni, but they're making me use XSI..argh!

matt

andylt1
12-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Ah Mr Lefevre, hows tricks dude? Yep all moved to the US, the last few months have been fun ;).

Xsi huh, dang! That is a bit of a pain, seeing how advanced with maya you are. Guess it could be worse... could be Max :D. And at least you get to use ICE, which means you don't have to learn the API to do cool stuff (or so im told). I was nattering on a thread to someone recently about that.

How is your scripting converting across to XSI? Obviously Mel isn't usable, but can you use python?

Take it easy Fella.

andylt1
12-05-2010, 04:41 PM
@SGJohnMcClane2k8 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=363979)

Cheers, thanks for the positive comments.

The Gimbal Thing.... Honestly I forgot I even added it :), it's been a while since I rigged this guy! It was just a simple switch to allow access to an extra control (a child tranform), to help animate on top of a gimble locked control. Nothing fancy at all, in fact its not even a good solution to the gimbal problem, but it may help someone in some situation. Unfortunately I've havent found a solution better than sensible rotation orders... if anyone does I'd be interested to find out.

I can see now that the 'gimbal control', when switched on, is hidden inside the rig an mesh when you. Not handy at all I'll fix it up soon, cheers for reminding me.

Glad you like

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2010, 04:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.