PDA

View Full Version : "regular" explosion problems

Noodle!
12-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Hey guys, I've been having a pretty bad time with maya fluids for the last three days. Basically I'm trying to make an explosion that hits a robot in the chest about 6 foot above ground. Sounds easy right? Unfortunately I'm an animator, and I'm not technically minded in the slightest, but this has to be done for a school project.

There's a ton of info on how to create large nukes, but it seems not to be applicable to smaller scale explosions. Especially with the explosion having to expand the fluid very rapidly and then dissipate faster.

I've tried a few things. First I made a particle emitter that put out two frames worth of particles, and then emitted fluids from them. I also animated the timescale from 6 to 1 in the first few frames to give the expansion much more speed.
I then put a radial field with huge magnitude on for a few frames to really push those fluids out.
However, while the first three frames might look good, it all goes downhill from there. I can't seem to control the way the fluids behave, and they leave "stragglers" behind that seemingly don't care about buoyancy.

I do have access to "Introduction to Maya Fluid Effects", but I found it hard to apply this information to an explosion.

Are there any tutorials around for a dynamic fluid explosion that is not a nuke and/or does not originate on the ground? Sorry if this is a lot at once, from an extreme noob on this area.

Calibrix
12-02-2010, 06:35 PM
For something that explodes and dissipates quickly you should look into making a non-dynamic fluid. You can use a texture on a center gradient to make an explosion. Look at the visor for an example. With this method, once you have the texture set up the way you like it, you can just animate attributes.

Noodle!
12-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Thank you for the reply. This explosion will unfortunately hit both a floor and a wall, it just originates slightly above the floor, so I do need a dynamic fluid.

Calibrix
12-02-2010, 08:53 PM
This can still be done dynamically. Making a small explosion is similar to a large one. The main difference in speed. The faster it reacts the small it looks. You can learn the basics from the larger sims and apply what you need to for a smaller sim. The last step will be timing. You just need to retime the cache. Collisions are difficult and if you haven't used fluids before you may be over extending yourself. It's best to start small and simple.

Noodle!
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm definitely overextending myself, unfortunately this is not of my choosing.
I'll try and just go back to tweaking what I have, to see if I get it somehow. Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.