PDA

View Full Version : Polygons Not Keeping Shape

randomcode
12-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm having a problem in Maya 2011 where after creating a polygon(cylinder in this case) and moving around verticies to shape closer to the end product, I try to use a tool, any tool to extrude, cut, join whatever and it resets my polygon to its original shape(but still missing the faces I deleted)
I have no idea whats going wrong, any help is greatly appreciated!

mandark1011
12-02-2010, 03:32 PM
select geometry and go particles->emit from geo that SHOULD make it so your particles emit from your geometry surface.
HOPE THAT HELPS! :)

randomcode
12-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Thank you for the reply, but I don't see what particles have to do with anything(also I tried what you wanted to no avail)
I don't think I was clear enough about my problem, sorry. I've attached an image which might detail my problem better.
Oh, also after it snaps back ctrl+z wont change the shape back but instead moves around verticies I've moved in reverse from the half cylinder shape...
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2671/mayaproblem.png

ZeitG
12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
is this question irrelevant to the dynamics?

if not, then after the establishment of a polygonal object is either deleted his story.
edit - delete by type - history

Of course it is unlikely that it is necessary, but may help.

randomcode
12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
is this question irrelevant to the dynamics?

if not, then after the establishment of a polygonal object is either deleted his story.
edit - delete by type - history

Of course it is unlikely that it is necessary, but may help.

Damn, I thought that was going to do it... It made alot of sense =)
If the question is irrelevant to the dynamics, I'm sorry for posting in the wrong section... It was a tricky question to find a catagory for within the bounds of the forums catagory names(that I could see at least)

Wixman
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
It was a tricky question to find a catagory for within the bounds of the forums catagory names(that I could see at least)

when in doubt, just ask the fx artists

randomcode
12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
The FX Artists? Is that a group on here, a catagory or sticky... Or do you mean ask people in real life?
I posted after the first reply to clarify my question with an image, but it hasn't seemed to go through... Here it is again:
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2671/mayaproblem.png

ZeitG
12-03-2010, 08:49 AM
OMG!!!
My post yesterday was the third, it is now the fourth ...

I understand that the scene is simple and there is nothing secret (unless it is hidden).
Attach the scene, on printscreen is not always clear in what could be a problem.

randomcode
12-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Yeah, the second post where I put an image in appeared. That isn't just a print screen of a scene. If you look more carefully you'll see its a step by step of what I was trying to explain in the first post as I felt I didn't explain myself well enough. I feel very bad at explaining myself right now =( Can someone please tell me they at least understand what I'm trying to say?
But yeah, this is a fresh install of 2011 so I haven't changed any settings...

ZeitG
12-03-2010, 09:36 AM
I tried to recreate your object.
Everything works fine.

Need exactly this is your scene.or try to begin a new scene and do everything from the beginning.

mlager8
12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I've had this problem twice before where geometry snaps back to previous state when I try to perform a new operation on it. The solution was to duplicate the geo after you have the shape where you want it and use that as your new base. This shouldn't be a reoccurring problem though. Once I made a new scene no new geo I made retained this issue.

randomcode
12-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Sweet! That worked a charm, thank you very much for the solution mlager8! Also, ZeitG and the others, thank you so much for trying to help alswell!

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2010, 02:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.