PDA

View Full Version : Creating a planet terrain makes camera act weird

Nazgul
12-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I'm making a planet and when I do so, the camera manipulation is all weird, like pointing towards the center of the planet. Is there a way to disconnect that? Looking all over, can't find it.
thanks
NAZGUL

wfstecko
12-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I have the same complaint. I wanted to create scenes with a planet on the right or left as opposed to the center of the scene. After much cussing and manipulation I eventually found a way, but can't remember it off the top of my head. I'll have to check when I get home tonight.

Walter

Raptar
12-06-2010, 06:18 PM
I had this problem and never managed to get around it! Please tell us!

Basically Vue makes a spherical scene and plots the X and Y co-ordinates onto the sphere wrapping around it almost like UV's. This leaves the Z which becomes depth (distance from planet centre) so you kind of revolve around that if it makes sense!

eworc
12-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Good question. The camera doesn't appear to be set to track anything in the e-on earth sample file. I created a new sphere and offset it from the "earth" and set the camera to track that...but the camera didn't change it's focal point. That's what it really needs, so you could follow an object (visible or not) that goes past the planet versus being stuck with orbital animation. If I find anything that works straight up or a workaround, I'll post it.

wfstecko
12-07-2010, 05:34 AM
I haven't tried this with an animation, but I managed to move my camera so my planetary terrain isn't centered. I turned off the "always keep level" button for the main camera and could manipulate it in the top viewport. Still, it's pretty awkward.

Walter

eworc
12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Walter, where is that "keep level" setting? Thanks.
Edit: is it the altimeter looking button? If so, I will check to see if that option is in Studio.

wfstecko
12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Walter, where is that "keep level" setting? Thanks.
Edit: is it the altimeter looking button? If so, I will check to see if that option is in Studio.

It's the button immediately to the left of the drop down list that's set to "main camera". I've only used Vue Infinite & xStream, so I don't know if that button is in other versions.

Walter

eworc
12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Walter. Just checked, it's there in Studio 8, so it should be a standard option in all. Will have to mess with it some. Tried to get the camera to lock focus on a secondary object but it was all squirrelly. Thanks for the info.

eworc
12-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Walter:

Still have an issue. I can move the camera focus around but if you are viewing the planet from space, I get the planet "view" to be up or down from center of window/render but not left or right of center. I used another object to be the focus, camera moves around pointing towards it but won't move to the left or right of center, it just rotates around. Any ideas? I have been messing with a test scene just to get this camera pointed and positioned and it just isn't working. I would definitely chalk camera manipulation as a weak point in vue. If it's just me then it's not even close to being intuitive.

wfstecko
12-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Eworc,

I had to do a fair bit of fiddling around and nudging with the gizmo in the viewport. I think the setting in the top viewport of my previous attachment is the one that finally worked. It took a fair bit of trial and error. I didn't have the camera locked to any other objects. I tried that using a cube and found it was also "locked" to my terrain and behaved stupidly when I tried to move it around.

I agree with you about camera manipulation being weak. Maybe I'm a bit of a control freak, but I don't want anything "locked" to anything unless I say so. Placing a camera and pointing it in the desired direction should be a pretty basic function in a 3D program. I really don't get why E-on did it this way. In C4D I can move my object from the center of my screen to the side with a single click and drag.

I've been wanting to do an animation of a space ship approaching, orbiting, and eventually landing on a "planet", but I've been putting it off because of this. I might try it during the Christmas holidays when I get 2 weeks off work.

Walter

eworc
12-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Good luck. I have given up ; ) I think the camera functions in Vue are pigeonholed to a paradigmn specific to Vue and therefore would require a significant programming change to have the camera behave like other 3D software packages. Hopefully they will figure out a way to remove this limitation in a future release. In one way it would be great if e-on sold their unique technology to incorporate it into the other software packages but then it would be priced out of the hands of I and others.

I had some disposable income a few years back and bought C4D8 Studio...but as a hobby, I couldn't justify the cost of any upgrades. C4D, at the time, was the most cost effective "real" 3D software available for the hobbiest that was a complete solution. There are really only two other options now, in that scope, Houdini HD and Blender. Anyway....

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2010, 04:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.