PDA

View Full Version : M.A.R.S. - ICE kinematics [wip]

Polimeno
11-29-2010, 06:06 PM
I just want to share with all of you my new site and my brand new rigging project inside Softimage ICE:

http://renatopolimeno.com/m-a-r-s/

Hope you guys like it !!
cheers,

JHN
11-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey Renato, looks really nice!
Will you be planning some load/save animation stuff for it too? You think Soft is better for animation/deformation?
Anihoe, the concept is just great and it looks flexible, is it going to be fast to do a whole rig in ICE and have multiple rigs as well?

Great work!
-Johan

Polimeno
11-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Will you be planning some load/save animation stuff for it too?

Yes. I know just a few FCurve tools (mixer, actions - store,apply - and animation editors load/save .fraw files) that handles keyframe data inside a scene but Ill definitely have to test all possibilities more down on the road.

You think Soft is better for animation/deformation?

I cant tell you that much since Im pretty new to Softimage worflow/tools and right now Im focusing on how to develop some of my ideas about rigging entirely inside ICE (math/logic/nodes/stack/rules etc) architecture.

Anihoe, the concept is just great and it looks flexible, is it going to be fast to do a whole rig in ICE and have multiple rigs as well?

As far as I know from other users, ICE is faster then constraints/parents/hierarchy and it is opening a hole new world of possibilities. TDs are getting great results about it, I can see the same now. Ill do my best to fit MARS into production pipeline aswell =]

Thanks again for the kind of words Johan and I hope this makes sense.
cheers !

IkerCLoN
11-30-2010, 02:03 PM
You think Soft is better for animation/deformation?

Coming from MAX and having worked in Softimage for some time I can tell it has some good points for rigging. As a rigger, I felt I had more control over the dozens of objects that belong to a rig. Using Explorer -and groups!- and Schematic View helps a lot. In MAX I've always found difficult to handle this. I did not realize this until I started to use Softimage though...

For deformations, ICE unleash a whole universe of possibilities. Deformations in SI are handled by operators, and ICE is an operator too. Although I didn't spend a lot of time with it, it's very intuitive and you can design some cool behaviours with minimum effort.

About deformations, I like the way Softimage works with weight maps. I felt it's more comfortable to paint weights than MAX. Smooth/blends also works better there, I think.

So in fact it's nothing related to 'Softimage has this and MAX does not', but to the way you feel when you are working. I felt I had more 'control' over what was happening in the scene.

By the way, Renato, that's looking good. Don't know if you have seen the rabbit rig made entirely with ICE, but it might help you. Here you can see the link to it:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=934380

Polimeno
11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Don't know if you have seen the rabbit rig made entirely with ICE, but it might help you. Here you can see the link to it:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=934380

Thanks a lot for the link man, very usefull ! I dont know if you follow the mailing list (http://groups.google.com/group/xsi_list), but I strongly recommend it.

Im enjoying ICE kinematics a lot.
Actually it is really fun when you get used to it because you literally start doing things visually with instant debugging rather then looking a bunch of script lines and evaluating any time you change something... you know what I mean.

Ill be posting here all news about my project, stay tuned.
seeya,

TheRazorsEdge
12-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Looking forward to more dev news! :)

Cheers!

DanLane
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Nice work, I'm thinking about eventually migrating our current rigging systems over to an ICE based solution, so its great to see others experiences of ICE rigging.

Cheers

Dan

Polimeno
12-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Great work! I am not really much of a rigger, but it looks nice from my judgement. Always great to see new/more advancements like this using ICE. Keep it up!

Thanks man, Ill be releasing all the beta compounds as free non-commercial for the community.

Nice work, I'm thinking about eventually migrating our current rigging systems over to an ICE based solution, so its great to see others experiences of ICE rigging.

Cheers

Dan

If you need any hand on that just tell me, Dan. It always great to share experiences aswell.

Looking forward to more dev news! :)

Cheers!

Im glad you liked it.

Exciting stuff, but please don't make it slider animated. Working with tons of sliders is counterproductive.

Those slide are scalar ports, so you could easily feed custom controls to drive values eg. <ctrl>.kine.local.rotAXIS

cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2010, 08:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.