PDA

View Full Version : programming PS plugins

ggg
10-11-2003, 10:02 AM
anyone have ANY links for how to program PS plugins
(not scripting or SDK, already have these, and not for the defunct filter factory)
any help greatly appreciated in this area. it seems this art, I guess for money reasons, is not shared :hmm:

Thank you, Graham

Ian Jones
10-12-2003, 09:04 AM
I'm actually interested a little in this area aswell. I don't know of any tutorials sorry, but I do have a question for you.

What should I use to code with? Visual studio 6?

Zergling
10-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Use Tasm! It's grait!

ggg
10-28-2003, 05:44 AM
Ian Jones,
I use VB VBS or JSCRIPT for automating PS thru its sdk.
(All three can be accessed with XSI. vbs and jscript internally as two of the 4 languages XSI supports and VB as classes using one of those scripting languages.)
For plugins I'm assuming c++ is required.

I've found two apps to aid in the creation of PS filters since filter factory is no longer, FilterFormula and FilterMeister,

But I'm still looking for basic how to make a filter for PS and how to make a gui for it....

Zergling, TASM for PShop plugins???

Ian Jones
10-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Bleh, I've decided mine is the path of an artist. To hell with hardcore programming.

ggg
10-30-2003, 12:23 AM
some artists program. besides PS scripting is definitely not hardcore

I guess no info here on PS plugin programming.

Zergling
12-28-2003, 09:10 AM
Well, yeah assembly programming is some art...

fbitonti
02-22-2004, 02:42 AM
I think that it is important for digital artist to have a strong knowledge of computer science. What do you think?:applause:

fretshredder
02-24-2004, 07:18 PM
as an artist with computer science and math degress I couldn't agree more :rolleyes:

As for plugin writing: In order to develop a robust GUI for a plugin you would have to use c/c++ (my guess) on top of the SDK. The SDK is the only *published* and openly accepted way to hook into photoshop.

I've had a few ideas for plugins. Maybe if I get some additional freetime I can do one interactively and make a tutorial out of it, since I have never really seen a tutorial on the subject beyond the SDK docs. Could be fun. C++ knowlege will be required though since I don't want to teach a c++ course :blush:

Hmmm....

-gz-

berniebernie
03-08-2004, 10:02 PM
You need big bucks to access PS SDK... Shameful since good self-taught programmers could create freeware/opensource plugins...

(if there are any of you there; I desperatly need a colorpicker that can work with scripting; PS's simply won't work - and workarounds are hellishly slow)

fretshredder
03-08-2004, 11:29 PM
SDK? err.. no. SDK can be ordered by becoming a member. unless they have radically changed their rules, it's free of charge (may have to pay a handling fee or somesuch). Maybe you are thinking of "internal" code? Yeah, that would cost an arm-n-a-leg for sure :-)

I have used the SDK numerous times in the past, and am getting ready to write some code for the CS version of the SDK.

Good place to start:
Linkage (http://partners.adobe.com/asn/photoshop/index.jsp)

Hope that helps

EDIT: damn typo monster is at it again

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.