PDA

View Full Version : Streamlining Your Machine?

Vajra
10-11-2003, 07:39 AM
I went searching and perhaps I wasn't asking the right questions, because I didn't really find much so perhaps this thread will get me the answers i woudl like as well as help others.

The point being is I would like to stream line my machine essentially for graphic programs such as 3ds Max and Photoshop and others.

I don't want to deal with all the bloated features that exsist in Windows XP. I would like to trun off kill get rid of anything that is not essential to the system and then add on anything that may increase perfromance like specific drivers.

I know that iNvidia has 3ds Max specific drivers which is really cool but I havea a Ati card so taht doesn't help me much... I don't know the legallity of all those 'softhack drivers' so I won't really talk about them just to be safe...

I don't mind reading up on lots of things to figure it out trouble is I have and still don't know certian things plus I have less and less time to do that research and would rather be working in max then learning about xp...

So perhaps with the wide variety of users on cgtalk I hope some of us may already know a great deal about Windows xp or 2k or for that matter open the discussion to streamlining at least the basic OS platforms that are out there. Allowing for us to know which feataures or which extra filling we can get rid of.

I have run thru a pesudo Streamling process that a friend devised the only probelm was Windows Xp ran slower on many things and was very quirky after i did what he suggested it became so problematic I had to do a clean install.

I have recently just done a clean install of XP and then updated to Xp sp1 on my laptop and 3ds Max is being kinda of wierd really slow and a few other minor things that its never done before.

Anyways thank you hope to hear some responses soon,
-Vajra

--------------
My Machines:
Desktop,
Geforce 3 ti 200, geforce 2
1.4 Amd Athlon
768megs of RAM
Dual Monitor 19" iiyama, 17" Hyundai
Windows Xp sp1

Laptop(aka Beast:D):
Ati Radeon 9000 64mb
2.8ghz Intel P4
1gig of RAM
40gb 5400rpm HD
15" UXGA 1600by1200
Windows XP sp1

MaDSheeP
10-11-2003, 08:49 AM
http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm

=)

the services section is really really useful for getting rid of XP junk, but watch out, some of the services you may use, if you use network rendering and such, so double check before you trust the services that he says you probably won't need =)

gabe28
10-12-2003, 06:08 AM
I'd say the best way to get rid of the XP junk is to install Windows 2000. It's what I use and all my apps work great on it.

spartek
10-12-2003, 12:18 PM
There's an article on 3DLuVr.com which covers this subject and explains how to do it:

Trimming the Fat (http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/123)

unclebob
10-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Try this site too.. he has stuff that UncleBill has windows XP start with but isn't needed. I have use it and haven't had any problems.

Black Viper (http://www.blackviper.com)

Vajra
10-13-2003, 06:31 AM
Thanks alot.

I checked some of the sites, will check rest when I get some time.

I love cgtalk. :)

-Vajra

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.