PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a cylinder to bend in an arc

Rewi
11-29-2010, 12:59 AM
So I'm trying to rig this arm to bend, but with more "bow" than "bend", if you get what i mean..
I thought I could create an IK handle, but at the moment it bends only at 1 joint.
I would like it to bend further up the arm,in more of an arc shape.
thanks..

Pietas
11-29-2010, 01:16 AM
before creating the ik handle, make sure your joints are oriented correctly. The should be able to all rotate

andyLP
12-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Delete your IK handle.
Select all the joints in the chain, rotate them all in the direction you want your arm to bow.
With the joints still selected, right click somewhere and select 'set preferred angle.'
Set the joint rotations back to 0
Re-create your IK handle.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Andy

Rewi
12-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Thank Pietas, all joints rotate, but they just bend all gammy when i create the ikhandle.
Setting the preferred angle worked a treat! cheeers andy.
would a spline ik be better to have more control over the movement and swing of the arm when animating? I've been trying to create a softbody, although I'm pretty new to all this.

Hey andy, you from auckland? I'm hoping to study there next year.

andyLP
12-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Setting the preferred angle worked a treat! cheeers andy.
would a spline ik be better to have more control over the movement and swing of the arm when animating? I've been trying to create a softbody, although I'm pretty new to all this.

Hey andy, you from auckland? I'm hoping to study there next year.

Yeah I think if you want to you could have 3 controllers. shoulder, elbow, wrist. You could have a CV curve running down the length of the joint chain driving an IkSplineHandle. The CVs of the curve should be constrained to the controllers (via clusters). You need a minimum of four points on a CV curve so you'll have to work out which controllers drive which points. Maybe try having 5 points on your CV curve.
I wouldn't bother with a soft body.

Originally from Nelson :) Been living in Auckland for 4 years. I strongly recommend doing two years at MDS if you're going to study up here. The advanced 3D class has been putting out great work over the last couple of intakes, and as a result is lifting the school's profile.

Best of luck,
Andy

Rewi
12-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Thanks man, great help! Yea MDS is definately the go. The work coming out of there looks amazing.

Cactus Dan
12-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Howdy,

You may want to look into setting up a "Bendy" arm rig for that particular character, which is usually a compound rig with a spline IK riding on a regular IK. If you do a search for "bendy arm" rig, you'll find plenty of information. ;)

Edit:
Here's an example of one of my bendy arm rigs:
http://www.cactus3d.com/BendyArm.mov

Adios,
Cactus Dan

BldRnr
12-10-2010, 06:53 PM
You can even go way more simple and use a simple Animation/Create Deformers/ non linear Bend deformer.

Now you can animate the curvature attribute in the Channel Box.

This deformer can be placed anywhere on the cylinder ,providing you have enough edge loops in that particuliar spot.

You can even make tires using this method.

CGTalk Moderation
12-10-2010, 06:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.