PDA

View Full Version : character: old man

Adam
10-11-2003, 04:48 AM
Hello this is a character i started last weekend It is done in maya and I have spent about 7 1/2 hours on it so far.. obviously it is still very wip. I plan to finish up the head and hopefully adventually finish the whole body as well as texture him. I would also like to do a realistic (or attempt to) lip sync with him...

would love some crits on the modeling...

http://www.ceodick.com/head.jpg
http://www.ceodick.com/headwire.jpg

Gilgamesh
10-11-2003, 05:08 AM
Hehe. This is great. I really like it. I think you are doing well.
I like the little wrinkles at the corner of the eye. I think some of those could actually be taken further, continuing more under the eye. Right now they just seem grouped in one little area. You could also vary the length and thickness of those wrinkles, too.
The big crease on his nose looks almost like a seam.
Personally, I would expect thicker eyelids on this character.
Just another thought, you could try adding some wrinkles around his lips, too.
Anyway, it looks great. Could we see a closer wire to get a better idea of topology?

Dave Black
10-11-2003, 05:22 AM
I agree with Gilgamesh, and have one other point. I almost looks like you could reduce the distance between the buttom of the nose and the upper lip. Just a though, it could be fine, though.

The model really is looking good, though. Keep it up.

-3DZ

:D

Electrofirma
10-11-2003, 05:27 PM
The polys across his lower eye socket and cheek look very stretched. If it was me I would go back and see if I could get the same shape from a more relaxed poly arrangement.

Also the crease that runs around his nose doesn't look right. If it was smoothed a little, it would help a lot.

For the most part though, the model seems great. Keep it up!

Adam
10-11-2003, 07:36 PM
hey thanks for all the crits so far.. I made almost all of the changes and I think they really helped... Electrofirma the polies under the eyes are pretty streched i'm just delaying splitting them purely out of laziness I will probably fix that today. Also i plan on putting up and updated version and a larger wire today. 3dZealot i changed the distance between the nose and eye and it really helped make the face feel more in proportion. Also I ajusted the nose wrinkle although I left it still very visible I just like it for some reason but I may do away with it adventually. And I defined the lids a little more and made them thicker

Anyway keep em comin!

Adam
10-12-2003, 01:54 AM
here is the update promised as well as a larger wire. My edgeloops may seem a little strange but they help me when it comes to facial animation because they ( or atleast are trying to) follow the overall shape of muscle ground allowing for easier deformation.

http://www.ceodick.com/head2.jpg

and wires

http://www.ceodick.com/headwire2.jpg

Adam
10-18-2003, 09:49 PM
Here is another update. all that is really left is ears and some more wrinkle defenition.
Please I would love some feedback

http://ceodick.com/head3.jpg

Dave Black
10-19-2003, 03:48 AM
After studying your last image, I had a few thoughts.

There seems to be a rather deep depression to the right of the left eye(and visa versa). It just seems too deep and cavitated.

Also, the nose seems to have a bit of a hardness around the bulb. I'd smooth that out abit. It could be the lighting, though, so It's difficult to tell.

Hope some of that made sense.

-3DZ

:D

Adam
10-22-2003, 11:08 PM
thanks 3d zealot for the response

I made some changes although I haven't messed with the depression next to the eye much yet.

Anyway i hope you guys like it... I think the modeling is just about done but would love some final crits.

http://ceodick.com/head4.jpg

Thanks again

Oh And I'm currently looking for a job if anyone has some tips or ideas that they (for some reason) would like to send my way

MR BINK
10-23-2003, 08:03 AM
you should make his ears a tad larger, great wireframe good luck rigging it

requiem
10-26-2003, 04:19 PM
wow adam, that's really great. just thinking ahead to animation, you might want to pre-cut wrinkles into his forehead. just a little extra geometry so that you can have more realistic wrinkles when he raises his brow.

Radacci
10-26-2003, 05:36 PM
i think the nose sticks out a little to much....but might just be me :)

Adam
10-27-2003, 10:51 PM
thanks for the replies...
requiem yeah there already are some cuts in the head for wrinkles... they are just really really underdefined right now...

Elmond Ark Shin yeah the nose is a little big but that is a bit of a trademark for me so I will proubably leave it but thanks for the crit.

MR BINK I agree I will enlarge the ears a bit... thanks

Mattrne
10-31-2003, 04:27 PM
I'd agree on the ears thing - i would pay special attention to his earlobes - someone that old would have horrible stretched earlobes that look really wobbly!

Darklord101
11-04-2003, 04:45 AM
nice work.....btw how many polys is that?

AndyBa
11-04-2003, 10:33 AM
The eye shape looks strange to me.
And you can try and make the skin around the eyes more flabby or baggy.
Also you can add more thickness to eye rim, now it's too thin.

Adam
12-09-2003, 02:19 AM
Well it has been a really really long time since an update but I finally got some real time to work on this. Most of the body is done. The arms are next. I think the legs still need some work but would love some comments first... oh and I know he is only 6.5 heads high but I kinda like it for an old man.. I'm trying out a new server so if this image doesn't show just tell me and I will use the old one.
and if anyone needs wires I can add them.

http://stu.aii.edu/cgi-bin/web/rfm/body.jpg

also I made the changes that andy pointed out. I don't think this image shows it well though. Also the ear has't been adjusted yet but it will :)

Adam
12-09-2003, 02:22 AM
oh and I thought to ask for ctiques on the skin folds under his man breast and where they appear like fat desposits/folds or ribs and also which one appears to indicate the bottom of the ribs.

requiem
12-09-2003, 02:23 AM
i'm afraid i dont see anything holmes. give it another shot!

Adam
12-09-2003, 02:31 AM
thanks I wguess I will go fix it. just a minute

alright here it is again:

http://ceodick.com/body.jpg

requiem
12-09-2003, 08:19 PM
first off, the anatomy is bang on. really good job defining bones and muscles. he's in good shape for an old guy. and yes, he does have a wiener.
i know you dont want to hear this but, the hips are odd. The problem is that his shoulders are too wide for them, or his hips are too narrow for his shoulders. That basic "V" shape from the shoulders to the hips is incorrect. maybe adding some girth to the area below the ribcage would help. Reducing the shoulder width would be a good idea because his upper body seems too buff for an old guy. If you just look at his lower body he seems old and thin. if you just look at his upper body he looks like a body builder. covering one half with your hand will help you understand what i mean. also, the stomach is too low. The "pooch" should start just under the rib cage and end at the beltline. You already have a crease at the beltine, but the second crease below it seems wrong. That area should be flatter, even on a flabby guy. (er... i imagine i mean.. cuz... you know... i dont... you know... look at old guys naked.. *cough*)

internot
12-09-2003, 10:26 PM
hey adam.
beautiful. the most realistic one i've seen so far, other than the Tina(tm).
he looks kinda like my prof Lubatti.
his body looks a bit too defined for an old man, though. his torso looks younger than his head. maybe more flab is needed.
in fact, it knida looks like me. the penis is a bit big, though...
nothin but love.

--------------
matthew
http://www.artificialgenius.com/

foxco
12-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Nice work i think its a really good looking model, altho i dont find the privates necissary :S lol

Shad FoX

welshboy
12-17-2003, 10:21 AM
nice model! i only have problems with his genitals...they look young imo
1. maybe u should add a foreskin
2. his testicles have to hang down much more
3. ... and they have to be bigger (compared to his wand)
4. i think more crinkles down there would make the whole thing look a bit older ;)

Amazing work though!!!

ps: maybe the legs are too muscular?

oxyg3n
12-18-2003, 07:29 AM
HIs face looks really nice.

I think that you should make his scrotem sag lower than his penis. He has had many years of gravity fighting against him.

And I dont know if it is the angle, but his head looks two big for his body. His shoulders dont look like they are broad enough to hold it up.

Ruger
12-20-2003, 12:16 AM
looks nice with or with out any more "flab". I admire your unwavering ability to disregard any poly limit.

Adam
12-21-2003, 06:00 AM
wow it has been a while since I checked for crits. Yeah the nuts really could use some attention. I think I agree with the above comment I also think they need to be more crinckled and have more sense of volume. I will work on that. As far as the head relation to the the body.. I believe you are correct but I think I will wait until the rest is finished (arms feet and hands) before deciding. Oh and the wang needs some more wrinkles. Yeah know it is hard to really sit down and dedicate time to genitials but I need to just do it. But first the rest of the body. Delay the gentials till the last moment. No one (except internot has commented on size heehehe. Know one wants to be the one to say it is to big or even vice versa... thats funny or maybe it is just perfect.

Anyway I will add an update soon

Adam
12-21-2003, 06:05 AM
oh and thanks ruger I wanted to just go all out and see what I could model instead of relying on texturing. I plan to rig this guys but will make a lower low res to drive the low res to drive the high res...

Adam
01-03-2004, 06:33 PM
well I finally got the hands done.. I think. I ended up modeling the palms facing forward instead of the usual down... I hope it will allow me to better control the forearm twist when I get to rigging... Also I made his waist broader and I think the shoulders a bit to. I have not messed with his wand (girlish giggle) much yet except for trying to make it blend more smoothely from the lower stomach. I toned down the leg muscles a bit and threw on a new shader (no texturing yet though)

If anyone wants a closer view of the hands or a wire of them just shout.

I hope to try and enter him in a scene of course into the expose 2 so please tell me what could make it really great

http://www.upponline.com/upload/files/3d_man.jpg

please tell me if this link isn't working

requiem
01-06-2004, 11:18 PM
alright, nearly done with this mother!
ok, here goes. (Just to be clear, i am in total awe of this model and I am not near this skill level yet so basically i'm talking out my butt. pompus know it alls tend to do that. sorry.)

-A non-artistic person was looking at this with me and he noted that the proportions looked a bit off. (yeah, beat your head on something, it's alright) His biggest critique was that the body looked like 70 years old, the legs like 30 years, and the arms about 15 years. On the legs maybe you could drop the muscle mass a bit, especially near the pelvis. on the arms maybe you could make the bicep thinner and more defined, especially on the underside. The elbow area is really good. maybe take it further with the wrinkles. you should be able to see at least two of the tendons on the underside of the wrist clearly and a dip after the flexor of the index finger on the thumb side. Make a fist with the index finger pointed up and curl your fist inward. that's more like what an old man's wrist is like.

-i cant see the hands too well but i still have a few critiques. btw, feel free to post them larger. Even from this distance i should be able to see the veins on the top of the hands. The tendons on top look good but thumb's tendon is aimed wrong. It should go directly from above the wrist to the first knuckle of the thumb. This helps to create the triangular dip on the upper inside of the hand. yours seems to be missing the joint completely and heading for the index finger. This wrist looks really odd, but maybe that's because it's not connected?

-that's a really buff butt. you might want to tone it down a bit. maybe make it thinner and saggier. also the lower back (Coccyx area) should bulge out to define the bone rather than in to define the butt muscles. Also, the crease of the back should disappear when it hits that bone set.

That should do it for now. keep it up. rock on dog.

posetopose
01-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Hey Adam!

Nice work man! Pretty amazing stuff. I simply don't have the patience for modeling, so that's why I'm....an animator? Wait a second....:)

But seriously, I think the one critique I have is your decision to model the hands palm out. I think that will seriously hinder your binding that area successfully, because you have the radius and ulna at thier extreme position. Well, almost the extreme position.

I've always had more success when I model the limbs positioned halfway through thier range of motion, rather that at an extreme.

If you concerned about the way that area will twist, I'd suggest modeling the forearms (read:detach and reattach polys) at a more neutral pose, the binding, then using blendshapes to fix and deformation problems you get.

AMazing, amazing work.

Rock

Greg

Adam
01-12-2004, 06:23 PM
requiem

yeah you are right about all the crits. I am working on the legs right now and hopefully the arms more today. Also you are right about the thumb area I just hadn't got around to fixing it yet...

posetopose

Yeah I think you are right about the arm rotation. I will work on that today

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.