PDA

View Full Version : How does PS's Digimarc watermark work?

singularity2006
10-11-2003, 01:20 AM
I've been tinkering with the Digimarc plugin that comes bundled w/ Photoshop 7 but never figured out exactly what it does. It inserts a watermark but for print, how does that work? I applied it but all it did was apply a strange looking grain to the image. Is this particularly useful for any of u guys that do a lot of publishing out there or do u not even bother?

Ian Jones
10-11-2003, 03:07 AM
I'm pretty sure you need a licensce to use it anyway. Digimarc have several different levels of services. You'd be best to visit their website.

singularity2006
10-11-2003, 03:22 AM
u need a license to use a "personalized" one. Otherwise, it uses a generic watermark provided by them. But even w/ that, I'm not sure how else the watermark works. All I see is that the image gets a large amount of noise added to it.

halo
10-12-2003, 07:20 PM
it adds pixels into the image offset in value to create a unique key. It does this in several areas across the image. If you need pure colour images/backgrounds then dont use it. It's supposed to be invisible but its not in the digital enviroment. Use it on a pure white/black backround to see the effect.

singularity2006
10-14-2003, 04:19 AM
hmmm... I see the grain. Interesting. So does this really help with copyright issues?

halo
10-14-2003, 12:30 PM
its traceable to a certain extent....and you can register your details on digimarks site for a small fee, the idea being that its survives well and if you scan, crop or copy the image and open it up in PS with digimark extention on (which is default) then it will trigger something to say the doc is watermarked.

however theres problems with it

a) as you can see on a flat colour image its noticable
b) it doesnt lock your image so it still can be edited, and you dont know someone is doing it
c) if your not using an app with the digimark extension on then no-one is any the wiser

its one of those ideas that just really falls short...i dont know anyone that bothers with it

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.