PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing Vue

Raptorel
11-26-2010, 06:52 PM
I have installed Vue 8, then I just had some settings I didn't liked so I uninstalled it, and then when I'm trying to install it now, it gives me this error:

http://i51.tinypic.com/zt7q5u.jpg

I can't get past it. I've uninstalled, deleted the folder, cleaned the registry (more or less) etc, it doesn't work. When I ran the program the first time I chose to copy all the folders for this particular collection (Scenes/Samples 2) from the extra CD on the hard drive... then canceled. That's when it happened. I can't think of a logical solution for this... and I don't want to get into uninstalling the Windows, it has to be another easier way to solve this.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks.

xad
11-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Did you delete all Vue folders after you uninstalled it? Besides the 'programs' folder there are at least 2 other folders that Vue creates.

One is located under 'user/documents/e-on software' and usually contains all objects, plants, materials and all that stuff. This is the folder where Vue will try to copy the content from the extra CD to. When you delete this folder, remember to backup any content you may have added or modified in there.

The other folder is located under 'user/appdata/roaming/e-on software' and contains settings and log-files. Possibly there are some corrupt setup-files from your canceled install in that folder that cause the installer to stop.

You may also try to copy the content from the extra CD to your HD to check if the CD itself is physically damaged.

Raptorel
11-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Oh thanks for the response... I haven't thought about that. I've installed the 8.5 version now and it works so... lucky me.

But what you said it's definitely good to know, thanks for that.

EDIT: I did what you said and I've installed vs 8 again as well. It's interesting, I've never found the solution to this problem anywhere else on the Internet... so you might be the first one that answers correctly to this, congratulations.

RLM
12-02-2010, 12:34 PM
I've just downloaded the PLE version 9 and am having the same problems, jsut won't install at all. I tried the things mentioned above and still can't install it. What's changed as I have never had these problems installing before?

Thanks,

xad
12-02-2010, 01:15 PM
What exactly happens when you try to install? Does it give you an error message?

I don't know if e-on has done any major changes in the installers for Vue 9 like new folders in different locations or something like that. One thing that I forgot to mention in my other post is the 'user/appdata/local/temp' folder which could contain setup-related files. You may want to check this one and try to delete any e-on / Vue related foldes. Make sure that you have no Vue version running when deleting something in there as Vue writes temporary files into that folder while it's active.

I guess the PLE installers are somewhat different to the retail ones so it might be just a PLE related problem.

There's a thread at the Cornucopia3D forums where someone had problems installing Vue 9 Esprit and found a solution for it:

http://www.cornucopia3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12480&sid=ae89e5eb7e80a2b46940b125b0c3a1ac

Beside that you may try the 'standard-solutions' for software installation problems like running the installer as admin and disabling antivirus/firewall software and see if that helps.

MikeFrampton
12-02-2010, 01:45 PM
RLM, what OS are you on?
What is the exact error message you are receiving?

Thanks!
Best regards

RLM
12-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Mike, thanks for stopping by to help out. I am currently using a Mac Pro running 10.5.8 op. system. I have tried deleting all the previous e-on files as described above and restarting etc. Nothing works and it won't install at all.

I am hoping this is just a mac thing though, as want to test this on my Vista 64-bit pc at home too!

Thanks for your time,

MikeFrampton
12-02-2010, 03:15 PM
RLM, would you mind contacting our Feedback Center here:
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/FeedbackCenter.php?FromPage=15
with this problem? Hopefully they can help you out.

Thanks!

xad
12-02-2010, 04:07 PM
You're using a Mac Pro, so I guess you want to install the mac version of Vue? Then most likely nothing from my previous posts will help you. I would bet that the folders I mentioned don't even exist there, at least not at the same locations.

RLM
12-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi xad, actually the directories are not all that different but it's easy enough to find the equivalents anyway.

Mike - I will contact e-on tomorrow as I only use a mac at work and will most likely need information about my system when submitting the report, but am at home at the moment.

I have just successfully installed the PLE version 9 without any problems on my pc, which is all I am really concerned about though. Although I have only just opened Vue 9 this minute, so far I am loving the enhanced interface which definitely looks for user friendly and streamlined too.

Thanks,

Jay

Raptorel
12-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Error while decompressing the folder... hm...

When is this happening? It gives you this message as soon as you start to install it on the hard drive (so it stops at 0% or at at more than 0-1%, say a random number like 34% or whatever)?

Because it might try to decompress the files on the DVD drive which, of course, is read only (maybe you made a mistake in the install location or something, I know, silly).

Otherwise, it might be something that I had - installed something (documentation in your case) - and aborted the installation, uninstalled the product and now the product expects those files to be there but they aren't. If that's the case, then you need to delete ALL the files in your computer that have anything to do with Vue. I did that when I had my problem and I could install it afterwards.

You need to find out where these files are for a MAC though.

RLM
12-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi Raptorel,

Thanks for the info. I have managed to get the PLE working without problems on my PC, but it just won't work on my mac pro at all. The installer tends to throw up the error message at roughly 30% of the way through installation bar. I've found ALL previous e-on files and completely deleted them before each installation attempt, but it still won't work. Maybe it's a bug with the mac version? As this is a downloaded version of the program, there is no interaction with my dvd drive either, so it can't be related to that.

Cheers,

eworc
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Fresh install of the operating system is the best way of getting any pc/mac to work properly when it's messed up with viruses and repeated installs/unistalls/half-installs of software and drivers. Everything else is a big waste of time and effort.

Fresh install/up-to-date operating system updates/up-to-date-drivers/virus protection...basic software that you always want on your pc/mac installed with updates....then create an image of the hard drive...wait until pc/mac starts acting crazy...load in saved hard drive image...problems solved, takes ten-fifteen minutes of time to do and a few hours on the front end.

Raptorel
12-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Well when I had my problem, which is the screenshot for the first post in this thread (similar to yours), I also deleted registry stuff. I basically searched for "e-on" and "vue" etc and carefully deleted everything that had to do with it (CAREFULLY, read what files are there, what they do etc). Then I installed and it worked (after also deleting all files from common files etc). Otherwise, it would give me the same error you have (error decompressing).

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2010, 07:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.