PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Rigging Book any good?

Tiburon3D
10-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Hi, I use Lightwave 7 and I am interested in learning more about rigging and character setup. Does anybody know if the book "LightWave 3D 7.0 Character Animation"
(by Timothy Albee, Tom Roth) is any good?

If you think there is a better book please let me know.

Thanks!

Tiburon3D

Ralph Garner
10-11-2003, 01:43 PM
I think this is a great book, although I didn't think so when I first cracked it open: I didn't get why Albee's rig was posed the way it was (knees VERY bent, arms in front, VERY bent at the elbows), and it seemed to be written more like a cold list of directions than a learning tool.

However, when I came back to the book after ACS4 added a rig based on this book, I discovered that it's filled with knowledge. I LOVE the rig he recommends: The hands and feet stay in place until you move them. Just place the hands on a table top, and have the character lean in and stand up, and the hands don't slide at all. It takes one extra step to move and rotate the hands, and this takes a little getting used to.

The rigging, IK and weight maps are in separate chapters, which didn't make sense to me at first, but would probably aid me in learning the whys and wherefors of rigging if I were new to the process.

The book is sitting open in front of my keyboard even as I type, and I think it's probably pretty cheap right now.

Hope my 2 cents helps!

RG

Tiburon3D
10-15-2003, 10:36 PM
thanks for your input!

Tiburon3D

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.