PDA

View Full Version : stumped

Tellerve
05-31-2002, 03:29 AM
I have a scene that I'm trying to render for my final project and I can't get the thing to render. After some initial tweaking I thought I had it, as I took the really hard tasks of depth of field, global illumination out, along with turning the transparency of the grass/hair off. Well, when I started rendering I got this message many a time (see image, sorry for the quality).

It said INFO PHEN 0.xx(x=some number) warn Hair_Renderer: Added new tracer instance (total = x).

I have been able to render the scene by itself without the kid character in it. By the same token I can render the kid by himself, just putting them together does something funky. And I don't have a slouch of a system, 2x 1.61ghz athlons, 512 ram.

Thanks for any help,

Tellerve

EdHarriss
05-31-2002, 02:22 PM
Since they both render alone.
I would render the two elements separate and composite them.

Tellerve
06-01-2002, 12:40 AM
I'll have to look on your website about a tutorial on doing that as I have no clue exactly how to do that without fumbling around for awhile.

but I'll certainly try that.

Tellerve

Tellerve
06-13-2002, 05:28 AM
Ok another question relating to non-rending things. Well I have stripped out the scene into parts but it still doesn't render completely. Even on different scenes Softimage eventually chokes and gives a not responding in the system manager. Everything else with my computer is peachy so my computer isn't choking. I have bought more ram hoping it would be the reason but yet it still chokes. I now have 1.5 gig of ram and what I would consider relatively simple scenes that I have to render out in chunks of ~30-50 frames before it chokes.

I've been trying to troubleshoot it and started thinking it was WindowsXP since I have friends and the school where I went had win2k. There maybe also some really incomprehensible and rare bug with my AMD Mpx chipset (I doubt).

At any rate, I'm trying the Verbose mode which someone told me to try and troubleshoot, the only problem is when it locks up you can't do anything in the program like looking through the script editor and seeing what happened. Is there a way to save it out when XSI crashes?

Tellerve

mr-doOo
06-13-2002, 07:34 AM
did you try batch rendering?

Tellerve
06-13-2002, 05:17 PM
Um, hmm, how do you batch render on one computer?

Tellerve

mr-doOo
06-13-2002, 05:49 PM
the more simple is to drag n drop your scene file to the
batch rendering shortcut that appear when you installed xsi
or you have to create a .bat file with all the xsi variables in it
and a "xsi -r bla bla bla " line.
every thing is explain in the documentation...

Tellerve
06-14-2002, 04:11 AM
Cool, I'll give it a look see =). Ahh manuals, so often they hold the answers yet so many forego them. Thanks for the the heads up in any case.

Tellerve

EdHarriss
06-14-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Tellerve
Is there a way to save it out when XSI crashes?

Go into Files>User Preferences>Scripting/Logging and check the Log Commands to File box. This will save everything to a text file as XSI renders, which you can then open up with notepad and read when ever you like. Don't forget to turn the command log size up. (200 is not enough)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.