PDA

View Full Version : Maya: Rigging Game Character, Bone Query

Fenriz
10-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Hey there,

Dunno if anyone can shed any light on this one for me:

Basically what I'm wanting to know, is if I can reproduce what I'm used to doing in Lightwave in Maya. When I'm usually rigging characters for in-game engines in Lightwave I'll use bones, and not skelegons, that way I can still have a complete heirachary without each of the bones being physically attached to one an other, whilst keeping a nice low bone count. Since were using Renderware for PS2, so bone limit is 64, but lower is always better.
Does anyone know if Maya can do this, I'm assuming it should be able to since I've heard a lot of good things about Maya's animation and character setup capabilities. Main thing I've found so far going through the tutorials is that when you're setting up a heirachy Maya makes bones in between the current ones if they're separated. Garnted I haven't went through many Maya rigging tutorials yet, but I'm looking through some now, hoping to find something useful, but though I'd post this incase someone can point me in the right direction pretty quick.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.