PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about wire parameters and time offset.

CerberusC
11-22-2010, 10:58 AM
That's the question, i'm trying to write an offset in time inside a wire parameters dialog, so if i rotate a box, it's children (which have the wire parameter) will have the same rotation that the mother box, but delayed 1 frame.

I've been looking through the maxscript help, and through here, but i cannot find anything helpful, also i saw the function "SetOffset", but i'm not sure how to use it inside the wire parameters dialog.

Cheers.

JHN
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Doesn't :
at time currentTime -1 yourcodehere
work?

-Johan

CerberusC
11-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Nope, but it worked this way, just it didn't give me what i wanted:

at time (((currentTime as integer)/TicksPerFrame) -3) (Y_Rotation * -1)

But using a script controller inside the Y in a second Euler XYZ controller for rotation it worked pretty well, the code is as follows:

at time (((currentTime as integer)/TicksPerFrame) + 2) ($Bone004.rotation.y * -3 )

The limitation is that you have to write the name of the parent object, but for me it's ok.

In the end what i wanted to achieve is some kind of spring effect but in rotation instead of position, some secondary motion.
If you have some better way, please tell me :)

Cheers and thanks for the answer.

rafoarc
11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Also, you can assign a rotation script controller to the rotation of your child-box, in the script window create a new variable, assign it to the rotation of your mother-box (track) and then adjust the 'Tick Offset' of that variable. Then in the expression field just type the name of the variable...

PEN
11-22-2010, 01:27 PM
You can't use at time in a param wire. You will need to use a script controller instead.

CerberusC
11-22-2010, 01:39 PM
rafoarc I used your solution, is great but is not enough to put the variable name, i had to attenuate a bit the value:

(Mom_Rot / 18) * 1

Mom_Rot is the name of my variable, and the "*1" is because sometimes i want to multiply by other factor or get a negative value.

Very good and clean solution :) thanks.

Pen, thanks for the answer, it's a pity that you cannot offset time in wire parameters :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2010, 01:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.