PDA

View Full Version : Modeling weapons, how to?

EdgarM
11-21-2010, 08:38 PM
I can't find any decent hi-poly weapon modeling tutorials.
The only half-decent ones I found were making hi-poly for baking normals, which means it had tons of stuff like floating rings and whatnot, that's not what I want. I want a hi-poly weapon for closeup rendering.

So I am wondering if anyone knows any tutorials, paid or free, that show how to make detailed guns.

adeepfrozenfish
11-24-2010, 11:26 AM
This tut looks very good
9 bucks a month, not bad considering how sexy that gun looks.
http://www.bentateonline.com/CG_Education/Tutorial_Mac10.html

There's also this one from the guy's brother that's free
http://www.christateonline.com/Tutorials/RPG.html
It's an RPG. not exactly a rifle or an SMG, but it's close enough.

EdgarM
11-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Yeah I am aware of these, the problem is that mac10 is very blocky, unlike most other weapons.
I'd love something like an m16 or any other kind of rifle or some pistol.

There's TONS of 3d guns, but so little tutorials, makes me sad.

ficdogg
11-26-2010, 06:00 AM
What specifically is the problem that you have with modeling weapons?
Where do you get stuck, and why do you find it difficult to even start?

All you need is reference and some patience.
I recently finished a Beretta Px4 Storm. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=935445&highlight=px4) I should have renders and wires posted today. Its made with a poly to subd to poly workflow.
If i have the time I might clean up the scene and post the model under a CC license.
If you have any specific questions, I might be able to help?

BldRnr
12-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Gnomon has a decent tutorial of modeling a 1911. For the price it's an excellent start.

But I do know what you mean. Getting a hold of decent blueprints of weapons I find a pain in the butt as well.

But I did get some nice drawings from Colt Firearms here in Kitchener, Ontario, of the C8 the Canadian version of the M-16 in pdf format.

Maintence .pdf's as well with exploded views

Would be great to go along with some Hi res photos references.

StSabath
12-30-2010, 11:13 AM
if it helps in any way,i maybe able to provide you with a blueprint for your weapon of choice,i've ben collecting them for over 10 years now
if you state what model you want,ill see if i have the print for it..
afterall all good 3D-weapons start with a decent blueprint

Cheers

Muzwan
01-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I've been modelling an xm-8 rifle, bugger all blue prints available, so I ended up modelling from a lot of reference photos from multiple angles, and video reference. There's a series of books called Maya Studio Projects and the Game Environments and Props has a lesson on modelling a revolver. Maybe not exactly what you want in terms of the model but the techniques can be applied. It has other great projects too. Big thumbs up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2011, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.