PDA

View Full Version : Blend Shapes with Separate Objects

CCDrkNrgy
11-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi there!

I'm having a problem with blend shapes, particularly with separate objects. My model has 2 sets of teeth as separate objects, which changes the point order of the base duplicate as well as the other blend shapes. I've tried using groups, but it still changes the point order. When I try to create deformers, it doesn't work!

My question is how can I create blend shapes, if I have 2 sets of buck teeth (cubes) on my rabbit head model as separate objects? The teeth have been parent constrained to the skeleton, so I don't know if I should combine the teeth with the body mesh. I think that will mess up the constrains. My assignment requires me to blendshape the head with teeth, so I can't just omit them.

Any ideas?

Help?

MattRennie
11-22-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure I understand... Are you combining the teeth into the blendshape meshes at some stage?

CCDrkNrgy
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm trying to create blendshapes with teeth as separate objects on the face. I don't think I can combine the teeth to the mesh, because the teeth are parent constrained to the head and jaw joints. CAN you combine the teeth to the mesh with parent constraints without nullifying the constraints? Will they still work?

Is it possible to duplicate the face mesh with the teeth, thereby having 7 separate sets of teeth and head dupes in the Outliner? Will that work? Will the blend shapes still work if I group each set of blendshape/teeth after the fact, if I dupe?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm a newbie at Maya, and I seem to suck at rigging. lol

Thanks for your help!

KohnarForever
11-23-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure if this will work or not, but you could create hair systems (remove the output curves and hairsystem, leaving the follicles) which would follow the faces on the mesh and bind to those. Although, this could make things pretty ugly if the face normal changes. You could possibly parent constrain to two faces along the centerline to help alleviate the problem, but this might not work well as you're still dealing with the normals.

Pietas
11-23-2010, 01:34 PM
create another set of teeth when you duplicate the head to create blendshapes. modify the duplicated head and then modify the duplicated teeth. then create a blendshape from head to head and teeth to teeth. You will then have two blendshape nodes that will have to be controlled by the controller. You could also in the connection editor link the blendshape attribute of the head to the blendshape attribute of the teeth

KohnarForever
11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
You could also duplicate the mesh, attach the teeth to the new mesh. Bind then use the copy skin weights tool. You might need to paint some adjustments afterward.

Pietas
11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
You could also duplicate the mesh, attach the teeth to the new mesh.

That's not going to work if the blendshape moves the location of the mouth

MattRennie
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
create another set of teeth when you duplicate the head to create blendshapes. modify the duplicated head and then modify the duplicated teeth. then create a blendshape from head to head and teeth to teeth. You will then have two blendshape nodes that will have to be controlled by the controller. You could also in the connection editor link the blendshape attribute of the head to the blendshape attribute of the teeth

This is exactly what I would do also, unless you are not needing to modify the teeth in which case I would just skin one set of teeth to a joint and animate that via some kind of connection as your blendshaped mouth opens.

CGTalk Moderation
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.