PDA

View Full Version : number one thing to model to learn?

holosynthetic
10-10-2003, 02:26 AM
Hey guys, i've been modeling a whole bunch of stuff but i find myself modeling cars mostly, theres something about smooth and hard edges i like..but anyways..

what do you believe to be the number one thing someone should model in order to become better (something that covers all areas of modeling) or to prove your worth?

Stroker
10-10-2003, 02:37 AM
A cyborg of some sort.
I think it's a good mix of organic and mechanical. Not to mention that the organic parts, like the face, are things we are very familiar with and can be very hard to do convincingly.
Then there is also the idea of blending the organic and mechanical in a decent way. Not always a problem, but can be a bitch.
Can also be a good test of patience when it comes to uv mapping. (Although, I wouldn't want to uv map a tree.)

Yeah, a cyborg.

treatment
10-10-2003, 03:05 AM
An insanely realistic female.

Son of Octropos
10-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Definitely a human of the sex you find yourself looking at the most.

Why? Because male and female humans are something we look at a lot, and therefore we are very sensitive to minutae- knowing when it looks 'right' and when it doesn't. We also tend to have the most preconceptions about what humans look like. Modelling a realistic human will help you address your preconceptions and make you a better modeller.

Now, be prepared, this will take awhile to get there. I would recommend using the approach that many sculpting students do- try a full body model, then do just a skeleton, then a skeleton with bones, then a full body model, all the while thinking about how each fits into the other. Repeat as often as necessary, mixing up the frequency of each of these as needed to keep your enthusiam up- but always do at least one of each in a set.

Keep in mind that while it is going to take some time to get _really_ good at realistic humans, the skills you develop along the way will help you with other things much sooner. I'm about 1 year into my (part-time) studies aimed at improving my modelling skills (animator turning modeller) and while I've yet to get a human completely spot on, my ability to model animals and imaginary creatures has been very much improved by doing a (realist) portrait or figure study every week along the lines outlined above.

I would also recommend buying a few pounds of plastalina, some armature wire, and going to it. Clay is faster to develop than pixels, even now.

Hope it helps!

crgowo
10-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Son of Octropos

Now, be prepared, this will take awhile to get there. I would recommend using the approach that many sculpting students do- try a full body model, then do just a skeleton, then a skeleton with bones, then a full body model, all the while thinking about how each fits into the other. Repeat as often as necessary, mixing up the frequency of each of these as needed to keep your enthusiam up- but always do at least one of each in a set.

what do you mean by a skeleton. do you mean and actuall bone skeleton structure?

dwin
10-17-2003, 02:11 PM
I think organic and non-organic are important to do... For non organic we can learn about combination with hard edge and smooth. In organic we can learn topology for animation. Of course for texturing will be different for organic and non organic. It's better to do both.

Son of Octropos
10-20-2003, 02:58 AM
crgowo-

Yep, draw/sculpt the bones, then the muscles, then the 'bits' (fat, glands, etc.) until you reach the skin. I find these exercises require a bit more discipline to get through, but the rewards and benefits are well worth it when you turn from anatomy studies towards finished peices.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.