PDA

View Full Version : Redundant Shape names

skealeye
11-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Was wondering if anyone else has come across this before.

There are certain instances where the shape node name is not updating based on the name of the transform object.

I don't need a work around and have ways to fix this.
I am more curious as to "why this happens, and what would could cause it".

for example if none of the above made any sense:

i have a geo named Lf_foot, and in return Lf_footShape
object has been duplicated and renamed Rt_foot, but the shape name is still Lf_footShape
both have no history.

Thanks in advance.

BasHe
11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
I am assuming you are talking about maya.
If you instance an object, that means that you create a new transform, which holds the original shape. So, you can have two transform nodes pointing to the same shape node. Naturally, the shape node can then only match one transform node`s name.

skealeye
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Sorry, but no BasHe they are not instances.
They each have there own unique shape and transform nodes, the reason for the second shape node to be redundant is because the shape name is not updating based on the name of the transform.

BasHe
11-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Hmm, weird. I have been trying in maya to see when the transform and shape nodes sync up their names. What I figure from just trying is that the if the transform is "whatever" and the shape is "whateverShape", the node names sync up. So if you then change anything in the transform, the shape node also changes. You can even have a number in there. So transform "whatever123" will also sync up with "whateverShape123". What happens when you manually set the shape name? Does it update automatically after that?
Really, the only reason I could think of that would get the behaviour you are describing is some sort of instancing. Perhaps youve checked "instance leaf nodes" on duplication? Thats about the only way I can duplicate the results you are describing. Then again, I am still working with maya 2009...perhaps its a quirk of the newer versions.

skealeye
11-18-2010, 05:51 PM
thanks for taking the time to reply BasHe.
I am working in 2009 as well.

I need to do some further test to see whats going on. But i'm 100% sure its not instanced.
If i change the shape name then change the transform, the shape still has no direction naming connection to it.

I will look into it more when i get some time, if i figure anything out ill get back to you.

Thanks again!

Polimeno
11-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Was wondering if anyone else has come across this before.

There are certain instances where the shape node name is not updating based on the name of the transform object.

I had that same issue while ago and I donīt know why it happened either...

But one thing I have noticed when I first started with Maya was when you duplicate an entire hierarchy it tends to only rename the top most parent node, eg.

Lf_foot_grp
-> Lf_foot_geo
--> Lf_footShape

(duplicated)
Lf_foot_grp1
-> Lf_foot_geo
--> Lf_footShape

Kaleidoscope
11-24-2010, 05:59 PM
I had that same issue while ago and I donīt know why it happened either...

But one thing I have noticed when I started in Maya is when you duplicate an entire hierarchy it tends to only rename the top most parent node, eg.

Lf_foot_grp
-> Lf_foot_geo
--> Lf_footShape

(duplicated)
Lf_foot_grp1
-> Lf_foot_geo
--> Lf_footShape

This happens because maya accepts objects to have the same name if they have different parents.
So to take your above example, when the two group nodes are childs under the "world", these have to be named differently and Maya does that by putting a number at the end when you duplicate it.
The childs however, are named the same because they are childs of two different parents. Maya has named them like this:

Lf_foot_grp|LfFoot_geo and Lf_foot_grp|LfFoot_geo|Lf_footShape
Lf_foot_grp1|LfFoot_geo and Lf_foot_grp1|LfFoot_geo|Lf_footShape

So they do have different names, only we as the users don't see it. :)

skealeye
11-24-2010, 11:00 PM
not quite sure that is the answer Kaleidoscope.

Regardless of the parent Maya renames the shape name of an object based on its transform name.
But, yes Maya will not change the name of a transform if it has a unique full path.

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2010, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.