PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy, Superrune (3D)

SuperRune
10-09-2003, 09:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/1775/hellboy_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/1775/hellboy.jpg)

Hi all,

Now that the Hellboy movie is coming next year, I thought it could be cool to go back to the comic and try to make a model that looks like the real thing! As any fan would probably say, no movie can ever get close to the dynamic and power of Mignolas artwork.

I did this short animation to see how far I could get to the original drawings, and also if there were ways I could get away from the apparent semi-3D look that most toon-rendered 3D ends up having. I think I got pretty close, but you should judge for yourselves.

<edited by Tito: Image replaced with one hosted on CGNetworks gallery to prevent dead links.>

You can download a 2 mb divx compressed AVI here. (http://film.toxic.no/superrune/hellboy_divx.avi)

You can download a 1 mb sorenson3 compressed Quicktime here. (http://film.toxic.no/superrune/hellboy_sor3.mov)

Technical stuff:

This is all done in 3dsmax, using a low-poly cage of about 10.000 polys. Everything is painstakely modeled by hand, to make sure that just the right shadows and edges would appear. I've only done the upper torso, since I was limited in the time I could spend. Before you ask: I will post no wireframes of this, since I want to keep some of this close to my chest :)

It is all rendered in the amazing Brazil Rendering System (http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/) from Splutterfish, with it's built in toon-shader. The animation was rendered in separate layers, so that I could do the colouring post-render in a compositing package.

Anyway, I haven't got much more to say. The animation is very short (too short!), but I still hope some of you might like it :)

Cheers,
Rune

Per-Anders
10-09-2003, 09:44 PM
very nice. the breathing and camera movement is top quality.

urgaffel
10-09-2003, 10:41 PM
That looks awesome. And I'm saddened by the fact that you won't release any wires, but it's your choice :) Would've been nice to see.

And please find the time to make a longer animation. I'd love to see where you can take this. Just looks so good :)

delly
10-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Wowowowo.. this is AWESOME :buttrock: :buttrock: :thumbsup:

JRGauthier
10-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Whoa!!!
I love it!!

Only problem like you said: it's too short!

I wanna see more!:buttrock:

Bravo!

RekAge
10-09-2003, 11:44 PM
damn thats impressive. I like how you captured the look of the comic exactly. when its paused it looks like its a page out of the book. Mignola might want to see this

eddy-3ddy
10-10-2003, 12:03 AM
wow, it shows the style how the communistic russia did some propaganda! Nice style, even I didn't like the way russia did it, but the style is great!

mockmoon
10-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Hey dude! very good animation.

Plasticman2000
10-10-2003, 12:50 AM
dude that looks insanely good. I thought your screenshot was a scan from the comic.

amazing stuff!

Morbid Angel
10-10-2003, 01:47 AM
hay man thats super cool, i thought it was a drawing at first...i dont understand why you dont want to post the wireframes?

Sil3
10-10-2003, 02:54 AM
Man u absolutly captured Mignolas style in 3D, congrats for it, but like already mentioned, dont know why u dont show us a wireframe :shrug:

BeCOOL_MiN
10-10-2003, 02:56 AM
WIRE!!
I WANNA Wire!

i really impressed. I love your work.

I also check out your website, and Jet was also really COOL, too.

3dbd
10-10-2003, 03:04 AM
I can understand not posting the wires..

It gives away your modeling technique something I hold dearly to my heart

Looks real good, Wish there was more

Rubberduckie
10-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Wow! This is great! Ya managed to keep the look of the comic book in here! Its really suh-weet! Can we see more? It IS a lil short... Hellboy Rocks! :buttrock:

KingMob
10-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Had to plug this, this is one of the best 2d-3d translations I have ever seen...and mignolias style is a hard one to capture in any medium, let alone 3d, great work.

KolbyJukes
10-10-2003, 04:05 AM
The minute I saw this in the gallery I knew it would make front page! Unbelievable! I still can't believe that's not a page from the comic. You've captured the artist's style to a T. I've always fantasized about modelling Hellboy a la Mignolia's style, but have yet to find the time.

Awesome work!
-Kol.

J-Bird
10-10-2003, 04:08 AM
that's totally amazing. that IS the comic. i can totally see someone wanting to put this on the air after the movie comes out - - like that new (i think it's still around) Spiderman animation on MTv.

Seriously, that is the best damn translation EVER. I too though the screenshot was from the website. I'm completely amazed. Truly.

Savage_Henry
10-10-2003, 04:16 AM
Agreed...this is a near perfect translation from the comic....Congrats on a jorb well done:thumbsup:

Russo
10-10-2003, 04:18 AM
this is very very nice... Mr. Mignola would like to see it for sure!

Jerkazoid
10-10-2003, 04:31 AM
i love cel 3d work this was top notch IMO

(edit)
i take back my crit,,, this kicks butt!

great work!

pOiNtPuShEr
10-10-2003, 04:55 AM
Sorry for being such a fanboy, but hot damn this is some great work! Hands down one of the coolest things I've ever seen done in CG...

GREAT WORK!!!

pearson
10-10-2003, 05:25 AM
Nicely done, but I don't see why the modeling would be the gimmick that makes or breaks this look. The shaders/lighting are far more important. :shrug:

psyop63b
10-10-2003, 05:34 AM
You must really know your way around the material editor. I noticed the highlights on the background have that "halftone pattern" of dots like in the comic, and the areas of highlight change with the camera angle. I noticed you only orbited partway around the character, so does your shading work all the way around or does it only work at certain angles?

criscoon
10-10-2003, 05:38 AM
Sweet dude! i mean Very nice, i am gonna get to work on my shit now thats stuff is mucho inspiring! thx

pascal_blanche
10-10-2003, 06:02 AM
really close to mignola's mood... mabe a bit too stylised... you could bring back some details, especially in the gun, and maybe the rear of the head... should be a bit more rounded or something, so the catogan doesnt look like a black ball coming from no where.. hairs could be a little less visible.. just my two cents, cause the overhall thing is just brillant, good job!

heavyness
10-10-2003, 06:04 AM
do you have a job now? cause after the movie drops, someone might want to do a Hellboy series and you could be working on it

damn good stuff. looks like paper coming alive.

Beastie
10-10-2003, 06:05 AM
Wow I like the look. Honestly Id rather see the whole movie in this style than in real life. Nice job and we wanna see more!

dragunzng
10-10-2003, 06:09 AM
GADZOOKS!! I thought the pic on the main page was a drawing at first! I thought, hmm, someone seems to have got the Mignola style down pat...BUT IT"S 3D!! I agree, this really needs to get the attention of Mike Mignola, I think he'd REALLY like to see this, imagine doing a Spawn (HBO) style 30 episode! I know I'd donate my PC's redering time to the cause!

slime
10-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Already verything has been said. Awesome work, the best 2D style 3D I've ever seen. Would love to see a movie like that!!!!!:applause:

Salaadin
10-10-2003, 06:16 AM
love it man its just really cool..

Crithon
10-10-2003, 06:18 AM
What amazes me the most is just in that small span of time I could see Hellboy really there. The detective looking, and getting his gun ready for some harcore action. You've got me hooked and I'm convinced that was like something out of Conqeuror Worm. As I watching it I'm trying my best Ron Pearlman impression, "Oh Crap."

I'm wondering what are you planing on doing next? More Hellboy? or is this something to just fill in your own Fanboy desires of a 3D hellboy?

verbal007
10-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Damn... I hope Mike himself sees this. The particles in the background... how you animated his inking... awesome.

- Jeremy

Trans3000
10-10-2003, 06:43 AM
I emailed a link to this thread to Scott Allie, the editor of Hellboy. I'm assured he'd be passing it on to Mike Mignola.

Lunatique
10-10-2003, 06:44 AM
Damn that was amazing. It's like the comic book coming to life!

erazal
10-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Good GRAVY!!!

this is one crazy render!!! Here i am trying to get my cel shading down right and you come out with this!!!

kudos to you sir. Please post a wireframe, and also, did you use Brazil's toon renderer for this? cuz i have NOOO idea how to use that.

Again, AMAZING job.

frogchild
10-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Rune Sapiens, you are my new hero.

I once tried to get an Abe Sapien under my belt but got no where near the masterpiece you got here.

I'm literally shocked. This is some great work. This is the best translation of 2-d to 3-d I can remeber seeing.

vizion
10-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Man, that looks real...im stunned. Incredible job. You managed to breathe life into comic book drawings. Awesome.

meatsack
10-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Amazing!! Great work. I'm a big fan of Hellboy as well, but to see this done with a very good toon render is just mind blowing!
BTW, if you play Unreal Tournament 2003, I'll be releasing the hellboy character in a few days, it's more along the lines of the movie style, but it would be sweet to see your character running around in game :)
Great work!

PauHana
10-10-2003, 07:44 AM
Cool render! The animation is a bit linear and robotic. I have a friend animating on that movie...I'll send him the link cause he's a Mignola freak.

PauHana

erilaz
10-10-2003, 08:10 AM
The background stuff is wonderful!:eek: Beautiful smoking technique! Such an excellent use of shading. I keep watching it over and over and over....

AdamAtomic
10-10-2003, 08:14 AM
as if you need to hear it from somebody else: this is really stellar - probably the only cel-shading i've seen that doesn't just scream "hey i'm cel-shaded and in 3d weeeoooo" - 100% classy, and a perfect tribute to the comic source. I wish more cartoon renders could have this much style - great work!

Yorgo12345
10-10-2003, 08:18 AM
It is SO rare to see cell shading done right!!!! (IMO of course) this looks better to my eye than most CS stuff I've seen published!!!

Awesome Awesome work!!

I want more!!!

ssalo
10-10-2003, 08:27 AM
This is just superb!! And you have lot's really good stuff on your site too!

alz
10-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Holy $#!T!
That's fantastic!

...I think I need to go change my pants now.

(from the guy who did it first, lo many years ago http://www.ourobor.us/attic/hellboy/HB-Animat.html)

LuckyOne
10-10-2003, 09:02 AM
one word: unbelievable !! :drool:

Lucky_1

spiraloid
10-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Rune, you are incredible. really really well done.

-bay raitt

Sqwall
10-10-2003, 09:07 AM
IT IS HELL GOOD!:buttrock:

azazel
10-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Man, I'd do a lot to see the wire and lighting setup...:p. Make more, longer stuff with hellboy :)

Pickman
10-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Rune, we want some more, no wires (the hell with that...) just pure animation. I think we don't see enough of that stuff on this forum. Brilliant translation you've achieved here.
MORE :buttrock:

Error
10-10-2003, 09:36 AM
unbelieve similar style!
in motion..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Piz
10-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Very, very, very IMPRESSIVE!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

You really Rock!!!

I'm an enthusiast fan of Mignola's work and your model is perfect from all sides!

B R A V I !!!

Piz

DANKA
10-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Fantastic quality! :buttrock:

I love the style of Mignola , and you have rendered it perfectly!

I think that some lines are textures, perhaps the collar... ?
Wow Mignola's style in animation... I have always wished and you... you have made it!
say me more oabout your method!!!
i'm very moved to tears!:cry:

more more!!!:applause: :bowdown:

derelict
10-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Bloody hell! That is one demonicly fantastic short short i have ever laid eyes on! Good one! Any plans for a 1 minute action sequence!

All the best dude!:beer:

Kel Solaar
10-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Very well done, i first think that it was 2d drawing :)

ShinChanPu
10-10-2003, 10:18 AM
:buttrock: wooooooow!!!
This is simply perfect. I can say that really very few times in this board or any others. IMO only animation can be improved.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

jmiller
10-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Incredible! I'm a big Ron Pearlman fan, but I'd definately rather see a cg animated movie now! Excellent work, man! I love his antsy finger-action on the gun. More more more!:applause:

haabe
10-10-2003, 10:30 AM
Viva la revolution! :buttrock:

Go Rune! Go Rune!

hehehe :) :applause:

mickatt
10-10-2003, 10:30 AM
unbelievable !!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

very impressive work but too short

lukx
10-10-2003, 10:34 AM
B E A U T I F U L. Especialy I love the background and I'm wondering if it's some particles or just some kind of Combustion work.

cuse
10-10-2003, 10:42 AM
completely rocks, you should be very happy with it... great stuff!

cuse

RuneV
10-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Vakkert! :beer:

ArneK
10-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Excellent as always, Rune. Whatever you decide to make you always nail it down perfectly :)

Hawksmoor
10-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Agreed - absolutely stunning - and stopped the office here as everyone clustered around to have a look frame by frame :)

HenningK
10-10-2003, 11:55 AM
That is RAD. Holy crap. I think cel-shaders blow, but this technique got it right on. You did good.
-Hen

OZ
10-10-2003, 11:57 AM
WOAH! It is a dream comes true!O gosh! now i know!Is it possible to create a 3d perfect replica of mignola's hero.
Please! Can i se the wire?Im interested about to create a real time cartoon scene with the hellboy color and ink style....
Anyway...Great GREAT work...I hope 4 more images!

-oz-

MedusasHead
10-10-2003, 12:13 PM
No, really, let`s imagine a Hellboy TV series in THIS style... boyy, would my eyes pop out! No joke, Mignolas style in motion could be a real revolution for the animated scene... I was really convinced that Mignolas work can only work when it`s static and I`m surprised to see that it still works when it moves. Please, if you find some time, make a longer animation, there is SO MUCH potential in this look!
Simply great...

ArneK
10-10-2003, 12:28 PM
MedusaHead, you're right on. There is a lot of potential in this look. Which is exactly why Rune won't give away all of his secrets right away. If he gets offered a chance to work on a series of this kind, a dream of his would come true. :)

nt65
10-10-2003, 01:37 PM
WOW!!!
I have no idea who hellboy is, and I am mesmerised by the cell shading the camera work and the feel of it. I could watch an entire movie of this. You have obviously captured the essence of hellboy judging from everyones comments.
Great job, and well done.
Cant wait for the feature film!!!!

SpaceJASE
10-10-2003, 01:50 PM
That's awesome!
I've been a Hellboy fan for years and this is by far the best rendition outside of Mignola's own hand.
AND it's MOVING - BREATHING - IT'S A-L-I-V-E !

Kid-Mesh
10-10-2003, 01:52 PM
unbeliveable.....EXCELLENT! :buttrock:

Being a true comic book fan of many books I must say that this look doesnt really look like Cel Shade that most people are accustomed to today.

But this look is more along the lines of the dark newspaper print comics from back in the old Marvel Days...the render piece gives the feel of a "living comic"...any one who is heavy into comic books will know what im getting at.

Regardless this is just breath taking and a visual treat to boot.

Cheers,

-KM

LOL, keep ya modeling secret....I would...everyone needs an edge these days

Jedi_Sav
10-10-2003, 01:59 PM
OMG OMG OMG

Dude when I saw the Still I was wondering why you would post a comic scan.

as I was waiting for the Download, reading the other comments i was getting so excited that it was a still from your animation!

Totaly Amazing. I am a die hard Hellboy fan. and you have made him come to lfe! that is the Spitting image of HellBoy.

I am looking foward to the film, but to tell the truth I am more intrested in what you are going to do with it.

Please keep us updated.

ok Fanboy rant /off.

slartibartfass
10-10-2003, 02:25 PM
wow... this is just awesome!

this is the best toon shading look i have seen so far. crazy... very very good. nothing else to say.

cheers

slarti

Bluemilk
10-10-2003, 02:31 PM
dont usually comment on much but had to with this, for me it was like seeing my first GI render, everything changed from then on.
You should contact the Hellboy people, they could use a cool segment in the end titles or intro titles. Thanks for letting us see that. Well done.

ninjacore
10-10-2003, 02:39 PM
:buttrock:

woOOOooo. cant say anything else that hasnt been said already! but this is the best toonshaded 3D work ever. period. you've nailed it. i need to get myself a godamn copy of Brazil!!

superb. well done.:applause:

Kieguy
10-10-2003, 02:42 PM
HELLYEAH!

I'm also compelled to heap praise on you and this work. I've also been a big fan of Mignola's style for years. You've just nailed it like everyone's said. Been said, I'll say it again too...I thought that still shot was from an actual original drawing, and was expecting to scroll down and see "now here's my attempt at a 3d replica of this..." Hmm..no, ok I'll click the link to see the movie....

:eek:

And then you go one step more and give that extra touch of movement to the "Kirby Crackles (TM)" in the background. AWESSSSSOOOMME.

Man, I'd know we'd all love to see this get the attention of Mignola and whoever it takes to get this as an animated series on the TeeVee or beyond.

raden
10-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi Rune,

Top notch. This is such one shiny showcase of your talent, skill and taste:thumbsup: The style is SEXY. Edgy. Hope this wont just end here. Mike himself should see this.

Post more man!

I understand you want to keep some for yourself but man it'll be cool if you could show some wires...

Icecube
10-10-2003, 04:02 PM
man...
I think there should be a rule for people like you from posting....
it should not be allowed for you to simply blast people's heads
like that....

that's not fair... I'm about to cry...

great work... never seen anything so beautifulll!!
that's just one small problem...
ISHOULD HAVE DONE IT!!!
DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!
DAMN YOU TO HELL, BOY!!!!!!!!!!

:scream: :surprised great:scream: :surprised

zulum
10-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Wow! ... WOW...Wow ...wow! This is great! This is awsome! landed her from the Hellboy site. This is very inspiring. Not only the Hellboy animation, but all the other great stuff that's posted allover this board. It makes me wanna do this. So please help. where do i start?

Cheers Oli

I really hope that we'll see more from SuperRune's Hellboy. Would you work with Mignola if he conntacted you about ,say, a cartoon? :applause: :drool: :applause:

Wonderer
10-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Really impressive! I almost thought it was 2d animation, it's very diferent from other 3d cartoon styles.:applause:

SuperRune
10-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Oh wow...

When I checked this thread yesterday, I had seven answers and though "that was that, I'm glad someone noticed". But I never expected this!! Thanks a lot, all of you! I never expected this kind of feedback from so many talented people! Thanks to the moderators for plugging it!

As I mentioned, I am painfully aware that I should have done more - but this was done in my spare time, over two months, spending maybe four hours with him each week. Projects like this are hard to finish when you have a full time job, so as long as no-one approaches me with a real project, I am afraid that this will be all you'll see of my 3D Hellboy. It will probably take me years just to do a five minute short!

If anybody know a way of letting Mignola or Guillermo see some of this, I'd be overjoyed! I'd love to do a full length animation in this style. I think this is the best way of doing justice to Mignolas awesome artwork!

Anyway, I thought I'd show you some work-in-progress images and some early tests, just so you can see how I approached the project.

Our company mostly do photorealistic stuff, and almost never any character animation. I wanted to do a cool test animation to put on our reel that would convince our clients that we could do character stuff as well. And since I am a huge Mignola fan, I thought it could be interesting to bring his style to 3D - especially after reading several quotes saying that his style would never translate beyond paper (one of them being from Guillermo himself!).

http://www.superrune.com/dyret/hellboy_test03.jpg

This is the first test, done after a weekend of noodling. The proportions were quite off, but this was when I realised that I could actually pull this off! This was too close to the old Hellboy (Wake The Devil), I wanted proportions more like the recent comics (Conqueror Worm).

http://www.superrune.com/dyret/hellboy_test07.gif

I scanned in some drawings and finely adjusted every vertex and edge, making sure they lined up to the originals. Here's a side and almost front view including his chest. As you see, he's modeled to be rendered from all angles. At this stage I just wanted to do a 360 turnaround on him.

http://www.superrune.com/dyret/hellboy_test14.jpg

Another later test. This was when I started to realize that I could probably do a story-based test-animation and not just a turntable. The gun could definately be the "center" of the animation. There were some shading problems, and I still had some detail work left. When you're doing something that has these sharp edges (check the back of his head), you can get some weird zig-zagging when a sharp edge shadows another. I had to make sure that couldn't happen in my animation. There's no subdivisions on him for that reason, so that I could control every single line on his body accurately.

(Sorry about the gun, Pascal, but I decided to keep it medium-detailed - I had problems finding some consistent references that showed exactly how I should detail it.)

Here's the closest you'll get to a wireframe: You can download a 3mb quicktime of the camera test here. (http://www.superrune.com/dyret/hellboy_test21.mov) I did this test to see if a handheld camera would work. The upper movie has no camera anim and the lower is with a handheld cam. I preferred handheld camera, since it gave much more "live" feeling to the animation.

http://www.superrune.com/dyret/hellboy_test23cols.jpg

Are you still reading?

I thinked long and hard about what to put in the background, but I decided to go for a blazing inferno and nazi zombie experiments. Both are frequent in the Hellboy comics. There are so many moody and wonderful backgrounds I could have picked, so don't ask me why I went for this! Here are colour tests done to try and find a palette for the animation.

That's it. I hope that was an interesting read to some of you. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Sorry about the long post, but you people deserve some more info after all these inspiring comments.

Cheers,
Rune

Edit: Had to fix some of the links, looks like i posted too many images! Had to remove all smilies, so I hope the post doesn't end up too serious.

gmoran
10-10-2003, 07:08 PM
This is great stuff Rune!

I really like how you were able to capture the style perfectly and translate it to 3d. Not an easy task!

I'd love to see more!!

My Fault
10-10-2003, 07:26 PM
SuperRune: Send the link to this thread to Harry Knowles over at Aint It Cool News. He knows Guillermo and would probably send him this link.

You've even got some of the heavy hitters at Animation Nation excited. Amazing work!

vell
10-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Have your company finished the work on JAG, Rune?
I love your work with Hellboy, even tough i had no relation to the character before seeing your work... it's a stunning accomplishment with the Brazil celshader, congrats...:applause:

animation nation (http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006698)

edit: sorry "My Fault", didn't see that you noted about anim-nation

feather
10-10-2003, 07:37 PM
!!

Octave13
10-10-2003, 08:04 PM
This just absolutely floors me. I'd rather see a movie like this, rather than settling for a live action "adaptation" that'll probably only be hollywood-ized. (i hope not) I'll still go see the movie, but I'd be much more adamant about seeing something on the big screen like what you've created here. Do you even realize what you've done?? DO YOU??!? *cries*

ufo
10-10-2003, 08:31 PM
great !
You do the first step for many 3D people , thank you very much !

Garbaman83
10-10-2003, 08:34 PM
I like the shading, & the charcater looks good :thumbsup:

nicky
10-10-2003, 08:56 PM
great work :applause: :drool:

jtk77
10-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Looks like him to me. The cool thing I like is the backdrop is still very much flat but seems to move in a way that give an added interesting depth to the scene. Post more. I wanna see that gun go off.

zandoria
10-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Perfect! I am a big fan of Mignola's style and this character. You've brought him to life! I hope we get to see more!:applause:

VYLE
10-10-2003, 10:53 PM
Congrats. Excellent work.....

wuensch
10-10-2003, 11:01 PM
oh wow---
its amazing.
among the best 2d-look 3ds I have ever seen.
Plus its really true to the character---
This makes me post fan-boyish--
Cool Dude!!!
Olli

nick reynolds
10-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Oh my lord someone please make a Hellboy game that looks this good!!!!!

Awesome work.

marcello
10-11-2003, 01:38 AM
Fantastic work! You've done a great job avoiding all the shading artifacts & other things that reveal the work to be 3d, & as you've shown it's all about getting the 3d forms dead-on. & I love the little touches like using an edge highlight to make the 'fill ink' not quite reach the ink outlines.

If you've the time, something I'd recommend you try based on my own cel-shading experiments in 3ds max (which I assume you're using) is to rig a morpher so that the model can change shape based on the camera angle (I think the Morph-o-matic plugin has an option for this). A static form is one of the biggest 3d giveaways, esp. when rendering at a high broadcast framerate. & there's another thing you should try: render "on 2's" like a drawn cartoon- 12fps- & it'll look really hand-drawn! You could make quite drastic changes to the model for different viewing angles, & it'd give the forms a nice fluidity & the animation would have some of that linear morphing interpolation you get in 2d 'tweened' anims.

You might also want to try using the Final Toon renderer. It gives a huge amount of control over the linestyles, & even does 'shadow lines', ie. lines in shadow can be inverted so they show up as the 'paper' colour.

Bil
10-11-2003, 02:09 AM
I've been a longtime fan of your work Rune.. this one takes the cake.

Well done!

Bil

oracrest
10-11-2003, 02:41 AM
it seems to be lacking something......

maybe a few more hours of animation, some dialogue, and a debut in movie theaters :)

Thats really awesome dude. honestly, i could see that turning into something along the lines of the Maxx show

bubba
10-11-2003, 02:50 AM
As always, superb work Rune! The last nonrealitic toony work I saw you did was the mjau mjau test animation, and that was great, so finaly you have done something more. And boy this turned out to be even better! :beer:

AmnesicElephant
10-11-2003, 02:53 AM
That is by far the best cell-shading I've ever seen. I hate all cell shading, but this looks more like a really well animated cartoon. Great job!

greengold
10-11-2003, 04:34 AM
As I am sure somebody has already said, "DAMN, thats AWESOME!"
YOu took the comic book and brought it to life! All I want
to know now is when are we going to see the other 30 minutes
of the 3D comic!
You may have started something here, and I hope all the other
comic lovers bring there favorite characters to life too!

dragunzng
10-11-2003, 04:46 AM
SOB...I just don't think you realise what you've done...sob, PLEASE QUIT YOR JOB AND DO A 1 HOUR MOVIE...geeks the world over will love you for it...sob..

JayMan2889
10-11-2003, 05:18 AM
great quality, nice motion, very smooth.

Carnifex
10-11-2003, 06:56 AM
Unbe-freaking-lievable!
That is some incredible work. The cel shading is spot on and like has been said before, you really captured the feel and lines of a comic book. I'm stunned.
You really, really, really need to show this kind of work to some Hollywood heavy hitters. I mean REALLY!
Goddammit, you're a talented mofo!

KolbyJukes
10-11-2003, 09:27 PM
I can't let this thread die...PLEASE show us more! anything!:applause:

alz
10-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I'd take a nice table scrap -- say a simple 3D rotation of the bust?

:P

soulburn3d
10-12-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by dragunzng
SOB...I just don't think you realise what you've done...sob, PLEASE QUIT YOR JOB AND DO A 1 HOUR MOVIE...geeks the world over will love you for it...sob..

Perhaps you will be willing to pay his food and rent during that time as well :)

- Neil

scifirex
10-12-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by SuperRune
Oh wow...
If anybody know a way of letting Mignola or Guillermo see some of this, I'd be overjoyed!

Rune,

I sent Guillermo delToro (Hellboy movie director for anyone who doesn't know) a message with your animation linked, and he replied that he's already seen your test! Like the rest of us, he's very impressed with the way you've captured Mignola's style, and believe me, he has you in mind for something..... don't be surprised if you hear from him directly.

On the Hellsite message boards, he has posted an email address for fans to contact him: abe_sapien@hotmail.com You might want to contact him yourself and see if he has a job for you. He has made it common knowledge that he'd love to see a cartoon animated Hellboy that is true to Mignola's style. He also has a habit of giving jobs to dedicated fans.

Lastly, he has stated that the opening sequence of the Hellboy movie will be several snippets of Hellboy sightings as reported in the media: blurred tabloid photos, etc. and that he may want to use your animation test as part of that sequence.

Contact him, already! You may have a job waiting for you...

Octave13
10-12-2003, 02:49 AM
I nominate this for the "most exciting thread ever" award. :beer:

NickBFTD
10-12-2003, 03:31 AM
im not familiar with hellboy ,but that clip is bloody awsome

DustinBrown
10-12-2003, 05:58 AM
I havent read comics since I was a little kid so I haven't heard of this Man...gool or whatever guy, but the style is really cool. I'll just have to trust what everyone else is saying that you captured his style. Anyway it looks great. Good work!

-Dustin

BeCOOL_MiN
10-12-2003, 08:27 AM
oh, my god...

we might gonna see this in Hellboy movie.
How exciting~*

xyth
10-13-2003, 02:05 PM
The best "comic-render"! (that phrase will become yours :D )

Amazing, really!

One question what came into my mind and bothers me all the time: how did you do that animated inferno-background???

Thank you,
-xyth

marcello
10-13-2003, 02:42 PM
the background looks like a load of spherical/circular facing particles slowly growing & shrinking, & possiblly emitted inside a volume, or over a planar surface. or it might even be some clever use of procedural textures...

xyth
10-13-2003, 02:48 PM
I've been thinking about particles at first, but they looks so non-particle. However, the still renders look like non-threedee... :)

SuperRune
10-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Marcello - you're bang on. It's simply spherical particles emitting from lopoly banana-shaped objects :)

Rune

xyth
10-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Hm, it seems I always complicating the things even if they're so simple... :shrug:

Nice effect, anyway!

Bugmeyer
10-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Hellboy wa SUGOI!

bobtheleech
10-14-2003, 05:57 AM
http://superherohype.com/hellboy/index.php?id=268

Just thought you might be interested in del Toro's exact reactions..

"-I saw it. Is quite spectacular. I truly hope the movie succeeds and we can get a cartoon series off the ground. Obviously this is the guy to go to- "

if he hasn't already contacted you
:D

facial
10-14-2003, 06:22 AM
Well done man, you did a nice clip with this kind of shader. :thumbsup:

phamtastic
10-14-2003, 07:28 AM
When I saw the little thumbnail in the gallery I was like why are they giving this guy credit for copying a panel from hellboy, but then I clicked the vid... Seriously OMG! Hellboy has been my favorite comic for 5 years and when I heard they were making a movie, I almost wet my pants, but when I saw this, I almost busted a nut!

BiTMAP
10-14-2003, 08:23 AM
you need to def give the character some easing in and out to make it less robotic.

that said, Why don't cha make some Daredevil tests?

KolbyJukes
10-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Holy CRAP!

What happened? I hope you aren't already under some sort of NDA, are you working on a Hellboy movie or on a tv series?

-Kol

sixthe45
10-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Excellent work. :thumbsup:

keeganb
10-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Amazing work man, I think you've just showed thats theres no excuses when it comes to 3D. Anything is possible and you just recreated something that would seem impossible to translate from 2D to 3D! I too hope Mignola see's this and I hope something comes of it cause I'd prefer to see something like this as the Hellboy movie than the live action.
You've truely inspired me to spend the extra time on things, I always rush my 3D work but you've just put in concrete that it's worth putting in that extra effort!
Thank you for sharing this with us
Keeganb

paulc
10-14-2003, 10:02 PM
truly wonderful, a real lesson 'in less is more', (or at least making it loook like that.)

Lets hope something big comes of this.

Olve
10-14-2003, 10:21 PM
I think I will honor my good ol' friend Rune here with my very first post on this forum! :rolleyes:
As I've already told you; excellent work and congrats with the massive response you've received from all over the place!

Yey!
:beer:

scoogee
10-15-2003, 05:53 AM
Absolutely brilliant and so spot on with the comic. Incredible...I can't stop watching it. It's such an amazing model in just a flat shade. Definitely, the best toonshaded piece I've seen. Makes me even more fanboyish for the movie to come out.

insseuv
10-15-2003, 10:41 AM
very good work, still waitin' for wire !!!!! :wip:

:applause:

zulum
10-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by bobtheleech
http://superherohype.com/hellboy/index.php?id=268

Just thought you might be interested in del Toro's exact reactions..

"-I saw it. Is quite spectacular. I truly hope the movie succeeds and we can get a cartoon series off the ground. Obviously this is the guy to go to- "

if he hasn't already contacted you
:D

YEAH!!! Now this is COOL!!! I hope all works out well!

All the best wishes!!!

Oli

Yuio
10-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Waaaahhhhhhh.. Hellboy :love: :love: :love:

I love it !!!:applause:

gggrif
10-16-2003, 09:01 PM
:love:

Hi, I know this is a professional CG forum but,
where did you guys all learn 3ds Max in particular?

I know a little bit but, to start from scratch? Hopefully I won't have to buy a book or something. I've been to your tutorial sections and haven't gotten much help.

Thanks!

This is the coolest CG thing that I have ever seen btw. I've loved the art for Hellboy for years now.

I hope you sign a contract for millions!

Quester99
10-16-2003, 09:36 PM
It looks INCREDIBLE! I like the style, very comic booky. :applause:

lildragon
10-18-2003, 10:23 AM
You've done well Rune, very well indeed.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Awespiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

davi
10-18-2003, 04:16 PM
this is possibley the best thread i've ever seen on this forum, well done.

koudos to you.

PhilOsirus
10-18-2003, 06:50 PM
I knew this would get you somewhere:) I love it and I'm glad it might not end there. I never read an Hellboy Comic, but with the upcoming movie and now this, I am interested:)

Gojira
10-19-2003, 03:43 PM
Incredible ... I will like to see a serie of this kind :applause:

mandarin
10-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi Rune!

You never seem to stop amaze me :) This is truly amazing. And very inspiring!

I am happy for you for all the positive feedback you've gotten. I was smiling when reading through the whole thread :)

See you soon, at the The Great Animal's November Beer (you know what I mean ;) )

--
Thomas

Book
10-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Sorry to get to the party so late... just saw this thread.

Awesome work! It's really great, and I hope something even bigger comes from it (a place in the film, comic work, etc.)! Great job!:applause:

michaeldaubert
10-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Incredible..you really captured the look..quite amazing..I WANT MORE!! It would be great to see you continue the animation!

Great Job!!:beer:

SuperRune
10-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Oh man! Thanks a million for all your kind comments! It's truly heartwarming to see that so many of you enjoyed this little animation!

I sure hope I can continue working on my 3D Hellboy, I think a short film in this style would be amazing to see. I'll definately do my best to make that happen :)

Cheers,
Rune

derelict
10-27-2003, 05:32 AM
You mean to say the del Toro dude didnt contact you yet? I guess he is waiting on your completing a lil more of the CG chap. Maybe give em a pair of legs sometime this year? B4 the movie that is. All the best dude!:beer:

StuJ
10-29-2003, 10:34 AM
Truly awesome work . I'd love to see a whole movie executed in this style . ****ing great stuff:beer:

Stu:applause:

SuperRune
10-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by derelict
You mean to say the del Toro dude didnt contact you yet? I guess he is waiting on your completing a lil more of the CG chap. Maybe give em a pair of legs sometime this year? B4 the movie that is. All the best dude!:beer:

We'll, I'm not saying he didn't, am I ;)

He sent me a very promising email, so we'll just have to wait and see if the ones making executive decisions wants to take this further.

(R)

Pickman
10-29-2003, 11:07 AM
That is superb news I wish you the best for the upcoming events :-))
Just showed your work to some friends last night. They thought it was terrific. We tried as well (the three of us, using hand camera to make a pretty similar shot and track the sequence to export maxscript camera. There are a few giveaways on your render, concerning the black areas and the lighting.
We exported the sequence in rpf to touch it up in Combustion.
Still working on the extremely well put tweaking you did in Brazil. Very very cool stuff. It kicks ass.
Looking forward to see it on screen ;-))

fabriciomicheli
10-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Sweet...:p Nice concept fella... :thumbsup:

nullUser
10-29-2003, 09:19 PM
spot on the original.

if your still answering questions i was curious to ask how long it took you to make this?

erikals
10-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Great work Rune, I wish you the best :thumbsup:

nullUser, it says on page 6 ;)

derelict
10-30-2003, 05:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SuperRune
We'll, I'm not saying he didn't, am I ;)

He sent me a very promising email, so we'll just have to wait and see if the ones making executive decisions wants to take this further.

[B]Bloody cool!! :beer:

SuperRune
10-30-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by nullUser
spot on the original.

if your still answering questions i was curious to ask how long it took you to make this?

Still answering :)

I might have answered this, but it's hidden deep within this thread somewhere: The animation was done over a great deal of evenings spread over a period of three months. Translated into normal working days, I think I spent something like two weeks.

Rune

Ecanem
11-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Damn Rune, even though we worked together once I still doubt if you're really human.. your name fits the bill! I hate going overboard with major ass-kissing, but I can't find words to express how much I admire you and your mad skillz.. :buttrock:

(- I still want to do a game with a Sepultura soundtrack -"Amen")

hatsad
11-02-2003, 11:16 PM
nice work man

vectro
08-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Damn this is totaly awesom ewhen I firs saw it in the galerry I thout that it was posted into the wrong topic. In my opinion this one looks like the same from comic book. Its too sad that you dont want to share with us your knowleadge by putting wire butI understand yu and wishing you good luck.

mychaleg
10-04-2004, 01:10 AM
I bug Rune about once a month about this thing; I would love to do music for it! I am considering starting a website to raise funds for making a longer short. If anybody is interested in helping out please contact me.

This is a piece I made inspired by the short:
http://www.sleepy5orchestra.com/mp3/hellb.mp3

markw7
10-05-2004, 01:37 AM
They go together really well. The beginning and end sound perfect for someone entering a hall of zombies.

J-Bird
10-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Do you listen to Radiohead? This piece sounds a lot like radiohead. At least until the violins come in. I really like it. Change the (clarinet?) to Thom singing and drop the violins and you've got a great song for their next album. Seriously. I like it.

I think it also suits Hellboy very well. Nice job.

teyekanik
10-14-2004, 02:51 AM
I think its kinda lame you wont post the wires, kinda selfish. But its a great job. I love hellboy as well..

ElPoofe
10-14-2004, 05:59 PM
I think its kinda lame you wont post the wires, kinda selfish. But its a great job. I love hellboy as well..
Tough titty said the kitty. If he wants to keep them proprietary, then that's the way it will be--no reason to insult him.

ElPoofe

Kizza
10-15-2004, 12:57 AM
If you watch it you can pretty much see the wires in your head anyway. It's not that hard to work out how you would achieve it. The really impressive thing is that SuperRune did it (and really well) and just how similar it looks to the comic. If you guys want the wires, just try being imaginative and work 'em out for yourself.

teyekanik
10-15-2004, 03:33 AM
blah blah blah.. u have very powerfull and commanding opinions.. the world has changed at your will... I wasn't insulting him.. I was stating an opinion. And I even jocked him for the job well done.

ElPoofe
10-15-2004, 04:37 AM
blah blah blah.. u have very powerfull and commanding opinions.. the world has changed at your will... I wasn't insulting him.. I was stating an opinion. And I even jocked him for the job well done.
Saying that he is being selfish is an insult to his artistic right and anyone in general; look it up in case you can't figure it out. Your use of "blah, blah, blah" is truely amazing. Illuminating.

Grow up or stop posting. We don't need that immaturity here.

EL Poofe

teyekanik
10-15-2004, 07:39 AM
If he is insulted by it then I guess he and I can have a conversation. But regardless, nothing I say is going to force him to post the wires or anything else. As for you? what can I say? I can post whatever I want and so can you. But it's a difference of opinion as to if it's right to hold knowledge to yourself over everyone else.. I think it'd be great to compare techniques and skills in modelling and texturing.. kinda goes along with the spirit of an art forum, ya know?

I won't say anymore about it, man... peace and good luck!

microspot
02-19-2005, 05:02 PM
OMG!
this is just perfect
JUST SEND THIS VIDEO TO DARK HORSE COMICS AND MAKE A FILM FOR US!
PLEASE!

Laseranders
04-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Wow!

That was the best piece of cellshading animation i have ever seen!
It looks exactly like the comic!
Awesome!

SuperRune
04-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Seems like there's been quite some discussion here since the last time I checked in :)

Again, thanks for all your comments! I'm so happy that you still enjoy this piece even though it's getting a bit "old" now.

As for me keeping this stuff to myself; I don't think I'm breaking any unwritten forum rules by doing so (although one mod asked me for wires as a proof that this was 3D!). There too much wire-talk on this forum already, and I think it's kind of uninteresting to go oooh and aaah over this and that edgeloop. It's boring, you know! Would you ask a traditional artist about how he's holding his pencil?

I really miss those olden golden days when you could look at a piece of effect work in a film and just go "wow" wondering how the h*ll they managed to put something like that on the screen. It's so much information floating about that's ruining the mystery behind what we do. Consider this my very small personal crusade against that ;)

Rune

teyekanik
04-29-2005, 09:18 PM
I respect that. A great job either way.

prasadposam
07-23-2005, 08:56 AM
i love mike mignola's work, and what u have done is simply amazing
but i became a fan after watching the movie,its wonderful

kap13
10-18-2005, 05:15 PM
This is so slick looking. How did you do the shading?

SuperRune
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
This is so slick looking. How did you do the shading?

Done with the toon shader in Brazil r/s - as mentioned on the first page.

(R)

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.