PDA

View Full Version : Caustic Lighting Issue

XYZ3D1980
11-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Hello all,

I'm working on trying to simulate light passing through stained glass. I currently have an image I wish to apply to a polyPlane (window) that will act as the stained glass. I'm trying to create the effect of the light passing through the window and casting the various colors from the image onto the floors, walls, and other objects in its path.

Since I'm working with mental ray, and am familiar with mia_material_x, I'm hoping to be able to use this type of shader. I've also been trying out caustics with some success.

My question is this: Is there anyone who may be able to suggest the best way of constructing the shader for the stained glass using mia_material_x? Maybe some suggestions on where to put the image file, bump map, etc? I"m including an image of where I'm at.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can give me!

Zeternal
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Luckily for you I trolled the net the past few days for creating realistic volume scattering in water. I found a written tutorial and your post on this topic is identical! However, the use of mia materials is not used. They use a Phong which is worth a shot considering the decrease in render time over mia shaders. They even tell you how to map your image to project as a caustic refraction, as well as adding volume scattering. Hope this helps!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/15334932/Mental-ray-volume-scatter-through-coloured-materials

InfernalDarkness
11-27-2010, 02:09 AM
Use the mia_material_x of course, but the parti_volume shader as well for your light fog. You could use photon GI, which also means the part_volume_photon. In conjunction with the technique from Zeternal's link, you should do great!

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2010, 02:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.