PDA

View Full Version : how to mirror maya muscle weight correctly?

fangye100
11-15-2010, 04:04 AM
hi , all , i am trying a maya muscle rig . now i have finished half skin weight for whole rig system, but when i tried to mirror muscle skin weight to another side , always meet problem .

i tried load/save weights and mirror weights commands both ,
if i select half side vertexs on model then save skin weight as a single file ,then load on to another side , the result is better ,but always lost some skin weight on small area ,like toes

if i try mirror weights command directly , then just messed up .

so , is there anything need to take care before mirroring muscle skin weight ?

GabrielPettersson
11-22-2010, 01:20 PM
I think you need to make sure that the names are the same with left and right as the only difference. I.e: "char_L_toe" and "char_R_toe". This is important for both muscles, joints, capsuels and locators that control the start and end position for complex muscles.

I also think you have to mirror in the default bind pose, so make sure all of your controls are zeroed out and everything set to its default state when you try to mirror.

fangye100
11-25-2010, 03:14 AM
I think you need to make sure that the names are the same with left and right as the only difference. I.e: "char_L_toe" and "char_R_toe". This is important for both muscles, joints, capsuels and locators that control the start and end position for complex muscles.

I also think you have to mirror in the default bind pose, so make sure all of your controls are zeroed out and everything set to its default state when you try to mirror.
thanks a lot.

i think you are right , the problem caused by name . usually i just add "_R" or "_L" to distinguish both side . in the mirror dialog , i just typed" R" and" L " , so maya may hasnt found the correct bone .

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2010, 03:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.