PDA

View Full Version : exporting using CAT in 3DS MAX

snah
11-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Hi guys, I'm trying to export a character that is rigged with Character Animation Toolkit (CAT) inside 3DS MAX using the SMD exporter (to get it into the source engine). I can export the sequence files ok but as soon as i try exporting a reference file it crashes when it gets to the first bone (or object). I think this is because the CAT bones arent real MAX bones and the exporter doesnt know what to do with them. Ive tried exporting as an FBX first to get the thing to turn the CAT bones into MAX style classic bones and then reimported that FBX and exported it as an SMD and THAT works... The only problem is the FBX format doesnt retain weights well at all and instead of having a smooth weighting system between the bones it just sets every vertex to either 0 or 1 to a certain bone so it looks like crap and has loads of stretching.

Ive been reading about and seen people talking about animation “snap shots” or something, i was wondering if you knew any way i could convert the CAT rig into a more classic, default style bone system, basically removing the rig and just leaving behind the bones and retaining the weighting in the skin modifier.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thanks. <3

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2010, 01:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.