PDA

View Full Version : THQ considering price drop in AAA titles

RobertoOrtiz
11-13-2010, 04:10 PM
When we launched [MX vs. ATV] at $59.99, we'd do some units, and then when we brought the price down to the mass market-friendly price of $39.99, it would just pop," he continues. "So the thinking this time is, let's initially launch at $39.99 it's a very robust game, very high quality, so this is not about trying to get a secondary title out." "It's an AAA title, at that price point, but then with a series of DLC so people can extend their experience. We think this is the future of gaming. We think that's the way games are gonna go in the long term."

http://kotaku.com/5688119/a-publisher-doesnt-want-to-sell-60-games-any-more

Glacierise
11-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Sounds reasonable :)

Jokerfrown
11-13-2010, 06:42 PM
I was always thought selling the games at $60 was a terrible idea in the first place

especially now that publishers keep content and sell it as DLC
not to mention companies like Infinity ward and treyarch selling rehash maps as DLC
perfect example

Phrenzy84
11-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I was always thought selling the games at $60 was a terrible idea in the first place

especially now that publishers keep content and sell it as DLC
not to mention companies like Infinity ward and treyarch selling rehash maps as DLC
perfect example

I don't mind paying that much for a game so long as i get more than 10 hours of gameplay. Match it up against a DVD and how many hours of entertainment you get for that.

I'm actually very greedy when it comes to paying for games and i like something that will have months of life in it..... ie Starcraft 2.

But if it is rehashed content, i dont even mind sequels just make it entertaining/engaging :). (which is greedy of me again, and alot to ask)

BrikProductions
11-14-2010, 05:14 AM
Now they should do that in Australia.
Over here we can pay up to $110 for a brand new game, and the exchange rate between Australia and the USA is more or less the same.

DuttyFoot
11-14-2010, 07:36 AM

same here and because of that i buy most of my games for the pc which go for 49.99

cresshead
11-14-2010, 07:59 AM
unless it's utterly amazing i'll wait until a game comes in at a more reasonable price..most games are 39 or 49 on release in the UK..i can wait until they hit 30 then buy them.

11-14-2010, 12:37 PM
i think games should be treated as a service based product. most of my game is a 'one time' use only. not much can last more than a month, while some can last 6 months. while publisher and developers are screaming about used game sales, they ignore the fact that customers are losing money more than what they expect from the content.

i think subscription based game and rental is the best answer to this. im curious why retailers havent apply this option. imagine the cash they got since the cost-barrier to play a new game is lower, but can attract more customer.

Magnus3D
11-14-2010, 02:36 PM
If the prices drop it would be great, games costs a fortune here and it's not often i buy one. However yesterday i bought Black Ops which btw is great! :)

/ Magnus

KevBoy
11-15-2010, 07:48 AM
MX vs. ATV... is AAA? :surprised

leigh
11-15-2010, 08:53 AM
I guess I am one of those rare people that thinks the prices of games are reasonable. When I consider that a film ticket here in central London costs around 14-17 on average, paying 40-50 for a game that will likely give me at least 5-10 times more hours of entertainment (and in the case of a good multiplayer game, far, far more than that) is totally fine for me.

I buy an average of at least one game a month, often more. The only time I've felt pissed off about it was the recent Medal Of Honor, where the campaign lasted about four hours and the multiplayer was beyond shitty. I traded that piece of rubbish in for Call of Duty Black Ops last week, the first time I've ever traded in a game. Now I am just counting down the days until Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on Friday which will probably provide around 20 hours of fun just on the campaign alone. So yeah, as an avid gamer (it's my primary form of media-based entertainment), I think games are reasonably priced because you get so much out of them.

Ballo
11-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Pay 40 quids for some AAA nice titles is fine, pay that for shitty games is the problem.

leigh
11-15-2010, 10:14 AM
I mostly avoid shitty games by keeping a close eye on pre-release reviews. Also, my sister reviews games for a living, often getting them before release and we share similar taste in games so it's not often I buy something that I end up disappointed with because I follow a lot of her recommendations.

11-15-2010, 12:34 PM
I mostly avoid shitty games by keeping a close eye on pre-release reviews.

well thats the problem. while big studios keep raising the bar for quality, smaller studio cant survive due to bad reviews and 'obligatory' price tag 60$. im sure smaller studio doesnt mind to put their game in a different standard based on the development cost.

wakkamis
11-15-2010, 10:06 PM
I had a friend talking up the new MoH game. I thought, "I haven't bought a game in a while, sure I'll buy that."

Went a bought the game before seeing the review. (I know, my bad) I want my 70$ back. :/

Should have spent it on Modern Warfare 2 as I haven't played that yet.. or just waited for this new CoD to come out.

JYoung
11-15-2010, 11:00 PM
I think $60 is perfectly fair for a high quality title. Still, a lowered price on "triple A" titles will entice me to buy more games. I like the idea of a lower entry cost+dlc, but am afraid it will cause developers to give less content initially than what we currently receive from a retail release.

DuttyFoot
11-15-2010, 11:40 PM
I am just counting down the days until Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on Friday which will probably provide around 20 hours of fun just on the campaign alone.

i am with you on that, i can't wait for AC Brotherhood :)
that game is worth 60 dollars for sure and assassins creed 2 was also well worth the money.

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2010, 11:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.