PDA

View Full Version : jewerly rendering

spheratu
10-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Hi,I'm trying to render a golden ring with mental ray,and though I have interesting results,I'm far from having the realism That I need.
Does anybody have expirience in jewerly rendering in mental ray?
tips and tricks are wellcome!!
thanks

brunner
10-09-2003, 04:50 PM
You mean something like diamonds?
The trick with the gemstones is that the stone must have precise face angles, or the light won't refract correctly and you won't have the diamond effects.
Just model them correctly, turn the raytracing limits high, a bit of glow on the highlights, and you got a diamond.

spheratu
10-09-2003, 07:57 PM
thanks man,but what about gold and silver? how do you achieve hyperrealistic gold in mental ray?

danylyon
10-10-2003, 09:58 AM
for gold / silver / chrome, you need a nice environment so that you get the reflections right. You can either use a HDRI image (very realistic, but not easy to manipulate) or make one (more stylistish / studio environment).

If you decide to make one, I'd recommend you to use a couple of big poly planes, at which you set a grey lambert. A couple of lights and it should turn out nice. Don't hesitate to try a lot around, to get them nicely.

Also.. make the reflection a fresnel.. meaning, more reflective on the border.

And.. the more complex the object, the easier is to get a ncie look.

Sorry, I'm not the best at explaining, I attached you a little test file, to see how I mean it.

Hope it helps.

spheratu
10-10-2003, 02:49 PM
thanks!!

antweiler
10-10-2003, 08:36 PM
there are tons of free shaders at highend3d.com, and several metal examples to explore and play with.
anti

spheratu
10-10-2003, 11:08 PM
here's a test.what do you think?
no treatment in post,direct from maya
http://www.sendaoscura.com/a.jpg

brunner
10-11-2003, 05:59 PM
pretty good. you just need blurred reflections now ;)

danylyon
10-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Looks good!

The gold looks a bit polished. If you want to go for a real polished look, you'd need blurred reflections (like brunner suggested)

If you want to go for more jewellery gold (like the ring in Lord of the Rings). You'd need stronger reflections and a really small strong highlight. I would also make the color darker and a bit more red (although there are several colors of gold).

Just a suggestion, keep it up. :thumbsup:

spheratu
10-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Here goes another test,this time with rings.Don't judge the model itself,it was done in two minutes.Judge the overall look,the light,the atmosphere...I feel something is missing...I'm not happy at all..help!
http://www.sendaoscura.com/anillos2.jpg

Digidim
10-12-2003, 06:51 PM
...what about some caustics ? :shrug:

TheShaddix
10-12-2003, 08:19 PM
needs more contrast and more reflections i think.

spheratu
10-13-2003, 12:17 AM
a little evolution
http://www.sendaoscura.com/caus3.jpg

beaker
10-13-2003, 01:53 AM
I would paint a scratch map or add some noise to your specular. Even the most polished gold/silver/etc... isn't perfect since it was made by human hands. Also a tiny bit of noise/scratches to your color or diffuse map. Most gold/silerver/etc... have other metals mixed in there which add slight inperfections to the color.

brunner
10-13-2003, 08:19 PM
And make it a slightly darker color, it's too bright right now

wgreenlee1
10-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Lower the diffuse,maybe that will help tighten the spec or reduce reflection amount.
pretty cool though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.