PDA

View Full Version : some kind of offset system, batch from within Maya

pigbelly
10-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Iím working on a rig and want to implement some kind of offset system.
I want to be able to move the positions of my hands and get this data transferred to all my similar files..
Ex. Say that I have done 30 animations on a machinegun and now I have a similar weapon but need only to change the hand positions, it would save days(weeks) if I didnít have to go into every file and editÖ

First I tested to reference but reference stops working if you parent or place keys on the controls. Then I tried to hook up the hand controls trough a blend weight node that also gets input from a locator. It works but if you set a key where you already have a key you get double transformationÖ.so now Iím left with the idea of batching..

I have tested this MEL code and it works:

mayabatch -batch -command "keyframe -edit -a -valueChange 10 "pSphere1.translateX"; file -save" -proj default -file batchTest.mb;

But I want to start the batch from within Maya, and I donít have a clue on how to do that.

Cheers
/Tommie

ajk48n
10-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Check out the "system" MEL command. It lets you runthings from whithin Maya that you would normally run from the operating system. It might be able to help.

MikeRhone
10-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Im not exactly sure what you are trying to to, but have you considered using the trax editor and referencing theanimations to all of your scenes?

Or maybe even a solution VIA the reference editor?

Mike R

pigbelly
10-09-2003, 10:39 PM
as I understand it reference in maya stops working when you parent them or key them..
that's bad..at least for me now :-)

Clips can't be referenced thats bad too....

I will check out the system thing

/Tommie

chips__
10-10-2003, 10:41 AM
instead of linking in references, try using point and direction constraints. that should work

Don3Don
10-11-2003, 07:50 PM
I've using ref b4 and now. It works....but need super caution.
especially the naming problems..
I did ref trac clip. And after ref branch of my scene with clip. I can do offset and scale....etc. Works great for me.

You can't ref clip might be due to double naming problems.
try use rename "all_nodes" instead of just the rename the mother when ref a scene......

pigbelly
10-11-2003, 08:06 PM
How do you ref a clip, I have no idea??????

/Tommie

Don3Don
10-12-2003, 12:49 AM
hi Tommie.
I explain in this way...
for example:
I've a sphere.mb which only have a sphere, I add character set to my sphere.Then I set keyframe to it.... then I convert this animation to clip. Save it.
New scene, start ref my sphere.mb....ref again and again...
Each time ref, I set a new name for all node in "reference option window"... like "A01","A02",A03".......etc...
Open the trax editor....You would see the referenced clips!..
Each clip is named like "A01_clip1","A02_clip1".....
That's it.. you can do any scale and offset to these ref clip.
changing the orinigal sphere.mb animtion, the clip will update..

My english is not very good. I hope you understand....
And I hope it is what you want to do...:)

pigbelly
10-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Oki..
But will it change all the files..
Say that you have 30 animations that have to be updated..
If the Clip was truly referenced then you should only have to change that particular clip..
But as far as I know the clip doesnít update themselves??

Don3Don
10-12-2003, 05:57 PM
It will update...
edit your source ref scene.
But, you want to update the clip animation, you need to active the clip in trax editor. Than change your keyframes and deactive it again. This means you update the clip.
(or even import other clip).

like ref model or scene.
Your source ref scene updated. All others scene use this ref will be updated too.
so, I always backup my source ref scene...for safetly reason.

hope this help.

pigbelly
10-12-2003, 09:24 PM
hmmm

so you mean that I can save a clip. say basePosition clip for the hands..
Have that in all my 30 animations and just by changing that clip in one scene all the other scenes will update?
this I have tried with bad results..

Would be great if you could elabrate on this !! Please:-)

/Tommie

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.