PDA

View Full Version : whats a good graphics program?

mooseboy84
10-09-2003, 07:26 AM
photoshop 7 is too darn complicated for me. theres just so many options and so complicated that i cant even preform the most simple of task.

i would like to know if there is any software out there like clairs works for mac? claris works was a program like 8-10 years ago for mac that was a predecssor to adobe photshop, you didnt work with layers, you had basic features but also advanced ones. like if you wrote text, you could move the text box anywhere on the pic and continue writing, you just didnt have to create a new one like in ms paint. you could easily use a lasso to crop images and stuff. instead of using complicated "layers" like photoshop, you could just move stuff around on the image and continue. not every little move you do gives you 800 boxes poping up.

basicly, i need something MORE advanced than MS paint, but not as complicated ps7. is there any graphics program such as this? im stuck between a rock and a hard place. ms paint just is too limiting, and i dont have 6 weeks at a community college to learn photoshop. im not hear to create digital art, just do some basic stuff.

ok thanks.

klingspor
10-09-2003, 09:24 AM
I've never used Claris Works, but I'd suggest you take a look at Paint Shop Pro... I'd say it's somewhere between Paint and Photoshop.
Or perhaps try the paint program that comes with Corel draw, I remember it being quite ok...

Anyway, is Photoshop that hard? Why not have a look at the manual that comes with it and within a few hours you should have grasped the basic concepts. Also, you don't have to use layers if you prefer not to... :shrug:

wolver1ne
10-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Photoshop is complicated?

I suggest you give it a serious try. Spend some time with the Tools window to get the hang of what tools are available and what they do.

I really don't suggest going with PaintShopPro. Because if find Photoshop already complicated enough then you will totally get lost in PSP interface, as it's a complete mess if you ask me. So many useless toolbars and buttons all over the place...

Again, spend some time, a day or so, with Photoshop just learning basic stuff. Don't try to create something already, just learn what is what and how. Trust me, when you get the hang of it, everything will start making sense.

And, what kind of basis stuff are you refering to? Creating text, adjusting colors?

aQu
10-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Photoshop is not at all complicated. I bet someone of your IRL friends know how to use it. Ask them to give you a personal tutorial, or just buy a good book. You cannot make proper graphics with toys like MS Paint...

mooseboy84
10-09-2003, 04:14 PM
i said i dont have 6 weeks to learn all the features. all i want to do is crop an image.

http://home.comcast.net/~mooseboy84/top_wheatgrass_box_small.jpg

all i want to do is be able to delete all the white background from around this picture. its something ms paint cant do, and is something that is damn near impossible to do in photoshop. with mac old claris works, all you would do select a little lasso and it could crop the image, or cut the excess away. this seems to be an impossible task to preform in photshop.

klingspor
10-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Well, if you call "clicking with the magic lasso in the white space and then inverting the selection" impossible then ok...

(e)
10-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Just sit down for, like, an afternoon and follow some tutorials. Who cares how crappy your final result looks, do enough, and you'll come to a solid understanding of the toolbars, shortcuts etc. :beer:

(e)

bumskee
10-09-2003, 11:30 PM
I think what people are trying to tell you is that PS is not ahrd to learn, well at least to use a crop tool and magic wand tool. it's really simple. I have used paint pro and corel photo paint before, if anything these are as complex as photoshop.

I used claris before but that was like when i was 12 or something so can't really remember much of it. But really cropping and magic wand tool is easy. open ur document and press "c" for crop tool and "w" for magic wand tool. besides in the future you would start looking for more advanced functions which you will only find in PS, Paint pro or corel photopaint. MS paint is not even considered anything, So give PS a serious attempt!

If you need specific help with each tool ask away, everyone here will be glad to lend you a hand!

:beer:

Prateek
10-20-2003, 04:10 PM
select the wand tool and click on the white area and press delete.There it is PRESTO !
ur white bg is gone and for the crop problem ull find many tutorials on that on the web try searching in google

Kotayus
10-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Magic wand > delete

Perhaps feather the selection to get some softer edges?

I started in PS 4...yeah it was scary...but after clicking around and casually readng tutorials, you get the hang of it.

I tried PSP and i agree, i hated the interface.

Stick to PS, once you understand it, its an awesome program

If your using ps 7 (im not sure if it is the same in prior versions) click on the crop tool, then click and drag your selection (there are handles on the sides of the selection so you can change the size of the crop) when you have what you want cropped in view, right click and select "Crop". Then save your image...pretty easy.

Steeldolphin
10-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Any other program you try will come with a learning curve of some sort, so if you are going to learn something new i say stick with PS, once you get a few of the basics down you will breeze through it.

klingspor
10-21-2003, 07:41 AM
I don't think we'll be hearing any more from mooseboy, looks like he was a little overwhelmed by the responses... oh well, it's his loss!

:shrug:

dg
10-21-2003, 10:40 AM
Try Photoshop Elements (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopel/main.html), it has the basic Photoshop features and if I'm not mistaken it has some guidance mode, that will really help you to understand things ala PS way of doing things, and it's really cheap.

At the end almost all the Image editing apps on the market today try to work as Photoshop does, so I belive you can't get away from things like layers and stuff.

But if you think PS is complicated stay away from any of the major 3D packages :)

Well, you can't run, you can't hide but you certainly can learn.

Good luck mate,
See ya!

dfusion
10-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by mooseboy84

all i want to do is be able to delete all the white background from around this picture. [/B]

You obviously don't have even five minutes to look it up in the manual, huh?

If you did, you would realize it's even easier than claris works as claris works doesn't have a tolerence for pixel variations thus eliminating the needs to trim the remaining white pixels. Photoshop does all this for you and the tool to do it is right there on the tool bar staring you in the face!!

easy
10-22-2003, 09:08 AM
photoshop is very easy to learn you don't need to learn it all to do basic things like cropping. you can do what you need to do in about 3 or 4 mouse clicks. Everything takes a bit of effort to learn. Photoshop the leading application for a good reason

Digimatrix
10-28-2003, 11:45 PM
The Number one thing you have to understand about Photoshop is that is in Layers... almost like a collage, one piece on top of the other. Once I understood that, everything else is cake. I also get frustrated when I am learning a new program. I suggest picking up the Photoshop Bible. If you can even get a grip on a quarter of the things you can do in Photoshop, you can get all sorts of work. Good Luck, and do not give up.

ZEROSKULL
10-28-2003, 11:49 PM
I started using photoshop exactly last year of this month. I know its hard at first but once you play around with the tools provided, im 100% sure you will get the 'hang' of it. The way i learn them is by trial and error and i buy some books + magazines aswell to read some professional tips and ofcourse the tutorial sites. Once you learn photoshop you can migrate to illustrator since the tools are nearly the same. Frankly speaking, i learnt basic illustrator within 1 week and i honestly tell you illustrator is DAMN easy!

mooseboy84
10-29-2003, 12:44 AM
thanks for all the replies.

ive been busy doing things so i havent had time to come here. luckily, my friend taught me how to eliminate the background using color ranger technique.

as for learning photoshop, i will eventually. however at the time i posted this, i needed to know it like right then. part of the problem is that ive never really had a use for photoshop, it was just eaiser to do things in MS paint like resize or change somethings format. another reason i havent learned was because i have a small 15 monitor and every time you start doing anything the screen gets filled real fast, so using tools and things was a bit hard becuase it would be over the picture area. its easy to say something is easy to when you know how. thats like saying -4(4y (56) =32Y. that may be an easy equation if you algerbra, but if you only know multiplication its not gonna get you anywhere.

anyway i will be getting a new monitor soon and i need to work with pictures more so maybe ill try to learn it a bit more.

Ian Jones
10-29-2003, 12:53 AM
Here's a quick tip you'll find useful:

Press TAB to hide / unhide the tools and palettes for a clear view of your image.

wolver1ne
10-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Don't let low resolution stop you from getting into PS. I used to work with Photoshop at 800x600 for like a year or so. And as Ian already said, use Tab to show/hide palletes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.