PDA

View Full Version : 3D Studio Max & Mental Ray

aaronray
11-11-2010, 05:23 PM
I've already done some extensive research on this but I still don't have the perfect solution. I am using Studio Max with Mental Ray and would like to start using HDR images as background that also emit light and reflections. Basically, I'm stuck and could not get this to work. From what I am reading about HDR images is that it can illuminate your scene even without the MR sunlight.

1. GI and FG are on.
2. Using Daylight System with Sunlight Off since I'll be relying for the HDR image to provide me the light.
3. Inserted MR physical sky in the Environment.
4. Under Mr Physical sky I checked custom and inserted the HDR image as bitmap (also tried environment switcher) instead of the default blue gradient sky. I unchecked inherit for mr Sky and also inserted the same HDR image under Haze.
5. Using MR photographic exposure default setting except for 400 ISO.

Am I missing anything in this setting? I would rather not use a Skylight for my background because I'm having physical scale conflicts. Sometimes the background is washed out....if not...the building is too dark.

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2010, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.