PDA

View Full Version : Q&A Thread: Please post questions for Pre-Dom War V here.

Kirt
11-10-2010, 03:17 AM
This thread is for all questions and answers. I will edit this first post to display frequently asked questions (FAQ).

However, before we get into this Q&A can I have everyone make sure that they have read the threads that are already started? This will prevent me from having to repeat myself. I really dislike repeating things which have already been repeated.

If you are doing the Concept Art challenge, read this.
If you are doing the 3D Character Art challenge, read this.
If you are doing the 3D Animation challenge, read this.

Everyone should also, read this (http://www.dominancewar.com/2010/preliminary/en_rules.php).

If you still have a question after doing all of this reading, then please post in this thread and I will answer it to the best of my knowledge.

To repeat once more, I will not be repeating answers to questions that have already been answered in the rules or threads that I've already started. So, if it seems as though I'm ignoring you ... I am. Because I've already repeated something that answered your question.

Sorry for the hypocrisy of repeating myself here when I said I wouldn't and thank you for your understanding. Now get busy!! :beer:

FAQ

Q: Do I create a new WIP thread for my Pre-Dominance War V challenge?
A: No, the Pre-Dominance War V challenges are like mini challenges prior to the big event (DWV). These will run for the next 4 weeks and all WIP and entries are to be posted in the following threads: Pre-DomWar V - 3D Character Art Pre-DomWar V - 3D Animation Pre-DomWar V - Concept ArtWhen the actual DWV competition starts in January, you will have the opportunity to create your own WIP thread.

belich
11-11-2010, 12:36 AM
exelent! its already up, so war its beginning, at least the first recoon at the battlefield ^.^

so we have to post our concepts and wips here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=322&t=933766 , without any order in particular, all messy. Or we have to do a thread for it or we have to post only once per week??

Daken
11-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Where exactally do I post my wips and concept art if I want to compeat for cgs team? I'm entering the 3d chalange but I'm not sure the appropreate way to post and be recognised.

TitForTat
11-11-2010, 01:58 AM
For the 3D animation, what about the environment where the fight will take place? Are we allowed to make a rough room/arena/city or something? Or just the ground?

harlequin02
11-11-2010, 02:10 AM
sorry for my annoying question, i've read the rule but still gotta ask, so how to submit your work ? are they gonna instruct us how ? and if you guys follow the pre-DW V challenge, you really cannot join the main challenge ?

Zoox
11-11-2010, 02:35 AM
yep you just post your WIP and comments all in the same Thread for 3D modelers its all here Click Here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6761438#post6761438)
it's messy but also gets people seeing what everyone is doing all in one spot :)

deleteduser
11-11-2010, 06:35 AM
so if we should post our entire WIPs in those thread, where should we post the final image (for the concept art)? if the final image have to be posted in the same thread, how you would recognize it's the final image not just WIP? do we just have to state 'final image' when we post it? thx

Kirt
11-11-2010, 06:35 AM
TitforTat - I don't see any mention of an environment for the fight (aside from mention of a floor). I would concentrate on the animation and maybe use basic primitive shapes if you need a character jumping off of something or climbing. The important part is the animation.

harlequin02 - You will be able to enter the DWV after this mini challenge. I don't know where you got that information from.

harlequin02
11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
-Everything for this challenge must be made from scratch (animation category may use base mesh supplied by DW). No pre-existing ideas, sketchs, drawings, base meshes, or body models can be used.
-Keep gore and nudity to a decent level please! Don’t get DW banned in various countries!
- Artists can only join 1 team for all of dominance war V. If you start with polycount, you cannot later switch to gameartisans or cgsociety. Traitors are not welcomed.
- You are not required to enter all challenges (November 8th pre-DomWar and January 5th Main Challenge). Pick the ones you like, and join.
- This is a wip challenge. Posting your work in progress in your chosen forum is ABSOLUTLY MANDATORY. Do not wait until the last day to show your progress or you can potentially be disqualified.
-You can only submit one 1000x1000 350k max final image. What this means? 200w x 1000h is fine. 999w x 500h is fine. 1001w x 200h is NOT fine. This image must include your team logo, your characters name, and your personal name and/or contact details.
-You can use any 3d, 2d, or animation software package in the world to create your entry. You can also use traditional mediums like pencil, paper, paint, etc to create your entry.
-Only 1 entry per person per category (3d Character, Concept Art, Character Animation). Do not create or try to create multiple entries with different user names.
-Final submissions are final. If you upload your final image 4 days before the deadline, do not ask us to change it. Make sure you are happy with your image before you submit it into the system.
- Public voting to find each team's best entries, starts December 6th and will continue throughout the Christmas break. Later, each team’s best will be gathered into a single pool, and a grand champion will be chosen and announced with all other Dominance War V event champions in April 2011.

that one !

ChrRambow
11-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Are we allowed to post Work in Progress images on our own blog too?

@harlequin02: That simply means that you do not have to take place on both ... you can also choose to just work on one challenge. As you like. For shure you can enter both the pre and the main.

Kirt
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
harlequin02 - "You are not required to enter all challenges", means that you can ... ... enter the Pre-DW and not the DW. ... not enter the Pre-DW and just enter the DW ... enter both the Pre-DW and the DW. ... enter neither of them.Those are your choices. (Red on CGTalk's background color is really difficult to read - this is why I use orange)

ChrRambow - Yes, you can post to your own blog.

NRubric
11-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Are animal companions allowed in the 2D concept art? Or just the char?

Alexzavr
11-12-2010, 12:23 PM
to be sure I ask here:
if I am chose war general can I add it magic? magical glow, lightning, fire, and other effects? with alpha and luminance map on my polygons or he must be absolutely real? without any effect on the model?

Kirt
11-12-2010, 03:17 PM
CDorius - I don't see why you couldn't include an animal companion. Just be sure to focus on the two characters and not one character w/pet. Remember that the 2D competition is about the interaction between the two characters. If your pet distracts from that, it may hinder your entry during judging.

Alexzavr - I don't see anything in the rules that would prohibit the use of alpha and luminance maps.

lorez
11-12-2010, 04:23 PM
just to be clear on the rules..
we get
"1024x1024 for diffuse, specular color, specular level, glow, opacity, and ambient color"
so that's 6 1024 maps in total?

Gyorkland
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi, uhhh I know is kind of early to say this but I am having the feeling that CG society is not gathering too many people yet , itīs only the second day I know but I,ve been looking in other forums and they are way ahead of us already and maybe I donīt know featuring DW in the frontpage could help? but I am almost sure that we will catch up next week is just a suggestion.

Kirt
11-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Example, one 1024 diffuse sheet, one 1024 spec sheet, one 1024 Gloss sheet, etc.lorez - That is correct.

SpiralFace
11-12-2010, 09:24 PM
The wording for the normal maps have me confused. It says no painting normal maps. Does this mean no normal maps what so ever, or just that we can't paint in additional detail beyond what we can get in a high poly bake?

Kirt
11-12-2010, 09:46 PM
SpiralFace - It says "no normal maps". I understand that to mean, no normal maps.

KielFiggins
11-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Sorry, was posting animation questions in the Animation Thread, I'll try them here:

1) If I wanted to rip off a limb, could I use the 500 extra tri's for that 'accessory' (the limb Duplicate)?

It also wouldn't alter the base mesh, since you could scale the joints of that area down and tuck them back inside the mesh.

Saw this over at three dee total .com's rule listing about decapitation/limb rip:

"looking over the rules, I would say no, you can change the mesh. But, you are allowed to ad 500 tris to the mesh, so depending on how you go about animating and camera angles, you could "fake" a body part being ripped off. use the 500 tris to model out more or duplicate body parts."

I can work with that, scale and tuck in the limb into the body, have a dup of the limb as a prop. Same process I used for an in game solution back on Heaven Vs Hell:
http://3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=40&item=102#102

2) How would you achieve anything for the TechnoMage without some sort of vfx proxy/stand in?

Kirt
11-12-2010, 11:21 PM
KielFiggins - 1) Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't classify the removal of an appendage (being torn from the body) as a modified mesh. A modified mesh would include things like scaled limbs, added limbs, remodeling of the head, etc. But, that's just my opinion. I'll ask my contact w/ DWV organizers and see what the official word is then post their comments.

2) If you're talking about the animation challenge, you'll have to rely on their actions to imply what is happening. Mime the action with your characters and I'm sure that it'll be understood. I think this challenge is more about the character animation than anything else. They'll probably be looking to see how you handle the weight of your character, secondary actions and follow through, etc.

lorez
11-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Hi, uhhh I know is kind of early to say this but I am having the feeling that CG society is not gathering too many people yet , itīs only the second day I know but I,ve been looking in other forums and they are way ahead of us already and maybe I donīt know featuring DW in the frontpage could help? but I am almost sure that we will catch up next week is just a suggestion.

the weekend just started, and so did i .should have some sketches up b4 sunday.

netsu
11-13-2010, 02:19 AM
As far as animation goes, for the main DW challenge is there going to be a more polished animation allowed? You know with full renders, effects, and textures? Or is the pre-lim competition the only animation competition there is going to be?

JesseDavis
11-13-2010, 04:48 AM
2) How would you achieve anything for the TechnoMage without some sort of vfx proxy/stand in?

This is what I'm wondering. Parts of this challenge are a bit ill-conceived imo, and are being difficult just for the sake of being difficult.

Kirt
11-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Netsu - Don't know since they haven't announced the rules for the main event. Since they haven't changed the categories in the past after the Pre-War challenge, I would guess that there is going to be an animation challenge in the main event. But, without knowing ... I could be wrong.

JesseDavis - Maybe you're making it to be more difficult than it needs to be? I don't understand what the problems are. The rules are pretty explicit in what is required and even goes so far as to tell you what you should be concentrating on. This is a game art challenge. In the context of making assets for a fictional game. Do your best and I'm sure it'll be fine.

TheArchDuke
11-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah what I would do for the technomage if I was doing to animation challenge is give him telekinesis or something. Throwing a cube from the environment or even lifting the opponent or something like that

mariojc1
11-14-2010, 03:06 AM
I am new to dominance war and would like to enter the pre challenge but I am a bit confused on one of the rules for the 3d character challenge. It says that there is no high res sculpting allowed. I was thinking that I could use zbrush to get a base form down and sculpt in detail and then texture it as well. Then I would model the low poly around it on which I will apply the base diffuse textures from z brush and build more from that, as well as the spec map without using any bump or normal maps. Would this be acceptable or does this break the no hi res sculpting rule?

belich
11-15-2010, 03:03 PM
harlequin02
ChrRambow - Yes, you can post to your own blog.

I understand that i can post in my blog if i want it to, but can i post at other forum for feedback, of course, forums that not figth at war, letss say blenderheads.org or blenderartist.org

i mean a blog is different from a forum.

squall787
11-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Are teams of 2 allowed?

Kirt
11-15-2010, 11:28 PM
mariojc1 - Hopefully someone with more 3D knowledge will chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you're describing I would say that it is not allowed. I don't think reverse engineering a high-res sculpting process is what they want you to do for this competition.

belich - You can post your work on your blog, facebook, twitter, or any other forum that is not in direct competition with CGSociety.

squall787 - No, the pre-DWV competitions are individual challenges. We don't know the rules yet for the DWV challenge, but I'm pretty sure they were individual challenges also in previous years.

Integrator
11-16-2010, 09:57 PM
1. Is it permitted to use cubemaps (simply put, textures mapped not to UV but Reflection TC)? For instance, taking a piece of diffuse texture and applying it with some exotic mapping mode on a separate texture layer?

2. Are there any engine postprocessing filters allowed like glow effects / curves / DOF?

3. Are there any advanced rendering engine features (like raytracing or IBL, which are not usual for modern MMO engines) allowed in use for shadows or illumination?
I was thinking like there're no restrictions for use of render engines (according to the official DW rules), was this item about game visualization engines only (like Marmoset or CryEngine), or about actual rendering engines like software biased and unbiased raytracers, etc (in that case it's kinda killing the whole purpose or competition).

belich
11-19-2010, 05:16 PM
1. Is it permitted to use cubemaps (simply put, textures mapped not to UV but Reflection TC)? For instance, taking a piece of diffuse texture and applying it with some exotic mapping mode on a separate texture layer?

2. Are there any engine postprocessing filters allowed like glow effects / curves / DOF?

i have the same question, at the dominance at war site says that they are going to ask for the models to check if photoshop were used to modified the result, but in blender i have the possibility of using post production nodes to add glow dof and some other general things( i dont know how to use the BGE but blender has one as well).

huntianzhiren
11-23-2010, 04:43 AM
Hi guys, this is the first time for me to attend "GW". Good luck to eveyone!
http://img246.ph.126.net/k0NU5MtjTAc6lzUmqw5jhQ==/2236881639921223402.jpg

saintlconcept
11-24-2010, 05:41 AM
should i create a full concept sheet like views from front, side, back, and details of each part of armor or just a final piece is enough, thx.

ArturoPahua
11-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Hello guys, iīve been in this comunity for almost one year, but actually i didnīt knew about dominance war. iīll be stupidly clear and do some silly questions, cause my english is notvery good, and i may be losting some important details.

i read the rules and i have to say iīm really confused about the teams and the process of contest, can someone please write a small resume about what should i do to enter and the process to do all correctly? (i mean, if i canīt post previews in the forums) i want to participate in concept art and 3d modeling. thanks in advance!!

ChrisChinea
12-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Is it still possible to start and submit a piece?

Fat-Fish
12-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Can we use render flat planes as double sided? Or do we have to make a clone and flip the normals?

@ ChrisChinea: Yeah, just start posting wip's in the relevant thread (3d, 2d or animation)

squall787
12-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Is motion blur allowed?

lorez
12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
contest suspended..
does that mean the deadline is still wed?
can we still submit?

harlequin02
12-07-2010, 09:45 AM
so err what happend ? do the challenge still there ? i cant open submission page, what happens ?

denis-artist
12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
what happened with submission page. I can't submit my work:(

Twi
12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Hey guys. I just want to ask, on our one presentation image can we have more than one angle view of the character? Or does it have to strictly be shown from a single angle on that presentation image?
And it says that the contest will resume as this is all sorted out, so no need to worry, I reckon :)

BaronImpossible
12-07-2010, 12:43 PM
The contest, like Existenz, is paused.

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18042

Not sure why, as that hasn't been relevealed, nor if it will resume. With Polycount admins talking about setting up their own competition it doesn't look too great. Personally I didn't really care about the causes for this, and happily signed up to have my 'mini' work sold; it was more the decision to suddenly take everything down without explanation that I find unprofessional. To be honest I can't see many companies sponsoring this mess right now, and how many artists will enter the Mains when the competition might fold at any time?

RedFish
12-07-2010, 12:57 PM
This is posted on polycount, only info I can find so far.

UPDATE: December 6th 2010 – Fred, founder and organizer of the DominanceWar, has put the contest on hold.
Due to recent events, Dominance War V has been suspended. To read up on what is happening, visit: http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18042

This challenge will resume once the Founder, Fredrik Hultqvist, makes an official comment about recent events and the state of DominanceWar.com and GameArtisans.org.

Dominance War V will resume shortly. Thank you for your patience ….

choocheys
03-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Hello, I read this forum for years but just now i had reason to post something. I don't want to be taken as a spammer. ;)
Anyone here can tell my how to add my own community (team) to the challenge? I don't know who to contact. Is there any place with information how to do it? Thank a lot in advance!