PDA

View Full Version : Character Reel-Natural Movement Approach

Dupinet
11-10-2010, 02:19 AM
Hello guys!

I recently finished my animation demo reel and basically my approach was to look for believable animation. At the time of the project I was looking to have the best quality posible inside the short deadlines that we have.

I tried to intensify some movements to add expresion also but without look cartoon (but using exactly the same tricks ;). I hope I have reached that.

Of course the critics are welcome like always :D

NATURAL MOV REEL (http://vimeo.com/11869528)

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/4490715/img/Anonymous/thB.jpg

MillerGenuine
11-10-2010, 03:02 AM
really nice, I like it. You can really feel the weight during the wrestling moves

Dupinet
11-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Thank you Miller :- )

Every critique is welcome as well :-)

JuGGerNauTT
11-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Really good job there Guillermo! Nice weight and shot planning. For me, the best animated character would be the dog. Some very good timing and subtlety there, with tons of "character". :cool:

If I was to crit on something, that would be the shot with the character jumping to and from a pole. I like the anticipation and weight on the entire shot, but I feel that the force he generates when he is jumping off the pole, is a little "supernatural".

To put it more plainly, it's a move I would expect let's say... a half human half monkey to make (or spidey :))....and that's because he gains too much "air time". Seemingly impossible, given the speed he travels and force of gravity, unless you have really powerful legs.

I think a parkur character (since realism is the given), would "dash" from the pole horizontally and then land with a roll like you did. (I like all posture curves on this shot btw) .... Lastly, there's a little slide in the end of the roll, dunno if it's intentional but I think it will give your landing animation more "punch" if his feet stop and his upper body follow as secondary animation.

Other than that, really, really solid work there man. Oh, and loose the "Gesture Drawing" explanation half way through the reel, it kills the flow and makes a bad impression. If you must, put it in the end credits, or even better to your shot breakdown. :)

Cheers man :beer:

All the best!

Dupinet
11-17-2010, 07:53 PM
JuGGerNauTT Thanks man. I really appreciate the comments.

About the super parkur guy. I don't have any more that scene with me to change it :sad: but the comments help a lot because I would like to do another test and those comments help to be aware about how to approach it in a better way :cool:

BUT !!

definitely I need to change the explanation. I wasn't aware about how kills the rythm of the demo reel. You're totally right

ckarolit
11-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Hi :D, very nice, I worked with you in that proyect, when i saw that, i remember when we work together :)

Dupinet
11-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Heeey ckarolit How are you? Yes. it was a very nice project in terms of animation. A lot of physical stuff and contact between characters, very interesting indeed. Greetings :cool:

Dupinet
11-25-2010, 05:28 PM
I have changed the explanation to avoid that change of rhytm. I updated the vimeo video

thanks JuGGerNauTT

JuGGerNauTT
11-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Update works much better Guillermo and so is the music. :buttrock:. Glad to help man, don't mention it.

I saw in your vimeo page a block test with a boy and a dragon and I can't wait to see more of that. :wip:
Being a "How to train your dragon" buff, I can't resist the impulse! hehe....
What stellar animation on "Toothless" in that movie eh? ... and his layout shots... breathtaking stuff.

I would fade-out the music a bit in the end, but I have a feeling you will want to put more stuff in there.... This goes straight into the "inspiration" folder along with Cameron Fielding (http://vimeo.com/2537742) and Tyson Ibele's work.

Keep it up man, I wish I could work with you one day.

Cheers, :beer:
Mike

P.S: Cameron has a blog on animation and his experiences which are very inspiring, worth checking out. http://www.fliponline.blogspot.com/
(http://www.fliponline.blogspot.com/)

Dupinet
12-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Actually Cameron Fielding is one of the artist Iīm inspired of. When I saw his last demo reel I was shocked !!! Of course Tyson Ibele itīs a great inspiration as well :-)

That test itīs on the freezer now (the dragon one) and I expect to continue later. I moved from city and I sell everything so now I donīt have my PC :-/ so meanwhile I cannot continue with that work.

My approach with that animation (the dragon one) itīs more natural. I started right away after the "dog studies" What I have in mind itīs to achieve a natural feeling as well but with fantasy creatures. I hope to restart again that project because It took me time doing all modeling and texturing (Iīm not modeler or texturer so to me takes time). The dragon has muscles and the cameras will have a physical simulation inertia, random movement,. I was doing experiments with that... maybe I will take the test again at the end of 2011 (too much work now).

JuGGerNauTT It will be cool indeed If someday we share a project of course :-)

chien
12-06-2010, 05:21 AM
nce work, so this is industry demoreel, do you also have breakdown shots?

Dupinet
12-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Thank you Chien :)

The breakdown shots are here:

All wresting moves were made for Larva Games studios for the "Lucha Libre AAA game" and are exactly as I did it for the game (no polishing for the demo). I know that some of them were changed at the release. The only I'm responsible of this ones are the character animation and lighting for the demo. All models, rigging and textures were made by Immersion Games

It was made in 3dsmax and biped

2.- The bull is part of my "animal movement studies" I did in Motion Builder and Maya

3.- the dog was the last studies I did for animal animation. It's done in 3dsmax with CAT

4.- The football rhino is made in 3dsmax and it was done for Exodo DW studios, I'm just responsible of animation

5.- The "sketch 2d animation" is one of the hundreds I did for the wresting project. I need to rescue the ones I liked more and then post it.

6.-The pole parkur guy it's an old animation I did like 3 years ot 4 years ago and I did it on my free time to learn Motion Builder (but nothing is mocap, I must say all keyframed). At the time I loved the fact that I could work with Animation Layers (now almost all 3d programs have layer animation)

7.-The 3 hit combo at the final it's old as well and it was a test animation requested by a videogames company.

I have the CAT, Motion Builder, Maya and Max crazy mix because I'm always looking for the best way to work and I like to experiment with different kind of rigs and see all the advantages and disavantages that the rigs have.. As animator you're always dealing with the rig so it's good to explore different approaches.

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2010, 10:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.