PDA

View Full Version : Double Knee Joint with IK

dereksig
11-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I am not sure how to set up a double knee joint with IK in Maya. If I set the IK from the hip to the ankle, only one of the knee joints rotates. I have tried simple expressions like let the 2 rotations equal each other and they work when you rotate them manually but not with IK. Have also tried SDK but no luck with IK there either.

andyLP
11-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Can you post a print screen of your basic set up?
I just did a quick test but couldn't reproduce your problem

dereksig
11-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Here is a screen capture of the skeleton. For illustration purposes... I attached IK to the Left leg, notice how only one of the knee joints rotates. With the Right leg I selected both knee joints at the same time and rotated them together, this is how I want the IK to behave, so the joints split the rotation equally.

Kremers
11-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Can't reproduce your error either.
Maybe, when creating the joints, they were to straight. In this case you should rotate the joints once, then set their preferred angle.
You can do this by rightclicking the joint, or by puttig the numbers manually into the attribute editor.

dereksig
11-11-2010, 08:20 PM
So for you guys the IK does split the rotation between the 2 joints?

Kremers
11-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Yes it does.
You can clean up your scene (delete everything but the leg joints) and upload it if you want.

Also is there a reason why you created an ikSCsolver instead of an ikRPsolver?

dereksig
11-15-2010, 02:00 AM
I used an SC solver as opposed to an RP solver due to ignorance, I had to research what the difference was and see that rotation would be useful. Im new to rigging, following an Alex Alvarez series on Skinning using wrap deformers, learning as I go. In a new scene I created a chain similar to my leg with IK and it worked... so Im going to mess with it and either figure out the problem or rebuild the legs. Thanks for the replies.

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2010, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.