PDA

View Full Version : My final animation from school. Feedback welcomed

Catwalker
11-07-2010, 06:49 AM
About six months ago I finished an associates degree in "Video Game Art" from Kalamazoo Valley Community College. Overall I enjoyed the experience and I think I learned a lot along the way. This animation, Coconut, represents about 3 months worth of work while taking one other class at the same time (and taking care of my kids). So... I don't know how many man hours I put into it exactly... seemed like quite a few. In the end the deadline did have some impact on the final product, but I'm sure it almost always does. I would love to get some feedback.

Coconut (on YouTube) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Z8RbzMGk8)

Looking forward to getting to know you folks and sharing knowledge with you. :)

WeezTheJuice
11-08-2010, 03:44 AM
Nice work man, it's always quite a task to accomplish a short on your own. I realize that deadlines are nasty and we don't always have time to perfect everything but I have just a couple crits. I think reworking your textures would improve the piece a lot, specifically in some of the interior shots of the ship and the palm trees. Also I think the drastic camera move in space (at around 0:17) should be changed. In 3d its easy to get a bit carried away because we aren't constrained by real world properties of film but that camera move in real life would have encompassed probably hundreds of miles, so once it happened, it ruined the illusion of scale in the environment and made that shot look a bit flat and cg-looking instead of portraying a vast space. I did like the story though, and your sound design was surprisingly good considering you did everything yourself, that's usually one of the weaker areas.

MrcorroC
11-08-2010, 04:34 AM
nice little catch at the end but that space ship flew too close to the earth, making the earth look really flat and try ssslllooowly rotating the earth and the clouds to bring the earth to life a bit. Other than that keep going at it

Kev3D
11-08-2010, 05:23 AM
I think the real problem you're having with giving the Earth a sense of scale is that you've made it too small in your scene. This means that when you do your camera move, the scale compared to the ship is revealed, shattering the sense of scale. Ideally you want to make the earth as close to real life scale as possible... i.e. really really really big.

I think the other problem with the earth is that it looks too dark, there are parts in the texture that look like they're supposed to be bright clipped white but they're not and this looks wrong.

The little pod looked really good and all the smoke and flame effects looked real nice.

Catwalker
11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
WeezTheJuice: Thanks for the feedback. I agree about the size of the Earth and my camera motion in that part. I also agree about the textures in some parts. Some of the textures were reduced in size from their original resolution in an effort to speed up some of my render times. My "render farm" consists of two machines (Q6600 2.4ghz with 4gb ram). I haven't been sure if the piece was worth revising.

My school didn't exactly provide me with much in the way of guidance on what to do as far as portfolio pieces go. About the only thing I got from them in that direction was to "pick a specialization"... like modeler, animator, TD, etc... Of which I haven't been sure of. I worry about pigeon-holing myself somehow. I feel like I need to be a "Generalist" simply because I have no one else to rely on for anything I do... so I just try to learn everything.

Thanks for the compliment about my sound. I used to do a lot with tracking music back in the day and I think perhaps that has helped me in that department. Sound just seems to come naturally to me.

MrcorroC: Thanks. I initially had the Earth rotating a bit more (it does rotate slightly but it's subtle) in some of my early test animations, but I had a hard time making the rotation add to the scene without making it look like it was spinning too quickly.

Kev3D: Thanks to you as well. I did make the Earth pretty big but are you talking about more like real life units? I don't think I've ever made an object that was sized to 25,000 miles. Could you explain what you mean by "bright clipped"?

jncunha
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
ROFL. Awesome!

I loled.

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.